The Long Dark Sequel?

Ms Nutcracker

I did read that if wintermute goes well then perhaps further development will happen to the game? But the sandbox box is going really well so I don't see why not start a new kickstarter for a brand new survival game after release of all the stories? Or an improvement over TLD like using a new engine? The demand is surely there I know so the next sequel will be a success! :) Is there any more detail about this?  Perhaps even using the unreal or cryengine to overhaul everything cause it was such a success! Perhaps all the wishlist can slowly come true? I know realistic sports sim game have done this? After they release their first game and then a year or so then they go back to crowdfunding to improve upon the first and add things that could not be in the first game! So the game gets every more complex as the new sequel arrives. :) Perhaps this can work for the sequel of TLD? :) Still too early? 

Just have a look at this and perhaps it could be the next sequel to make it even more complex and detail and real life but fun! This pic is from a real game of hunting animals! 

hunt1.jpg

There has been talks of hinterland doing different seasons in the long dark as a continuation of the story. Really not sure how it's going to work but it sounds interesting. Perhaps instead of severe winter we will have a severe summer with temperatures in excess of 50 degrees C and poisonous snakes to deal with? I do like the art style of TLD it makes it stand out, so graphics is not so important to me.

39 minutes ago, Renegade30 said:

There has been talks of hinterland doing different seasons in the long dark as a continuation of the story. Really not sure how it's going to work but it sounds interesting. Perhaps instead of severe winter we will have a severe summer with temperatures in excess of 50 degrees C and poisonous snakes to deal with? I do like the art style of TLD it makes it stand out, so graphics is not so important to me.

yeah I also heard similar but I think they where saying it would be a long dark two, so maybe a long summer.

7 minutes ago, Nervous Pete said:

Firewatch gave a good example of how you can do vegetation in a game whilst still retaining a stylised, clean, crisp, atmospheric art style. I imagine the team will be looking closely at that if they plan to bring the game into the next season. 

yeah im sure the devs are aware of what graphics they can get :).

The Long Dark to me has its own unique look and feel which i really love.

5 hours ago, nicko said:

yeah im sure the devs are aware of what graphics they can get :).

The Long Dark to me has its own unique look and feel which i really love.

Heh, yeah, I hear you buddy. I meant it more in it being reassuring in how much vegetation you can load onto a map and still optimise for good performance. For me, The Long Dark is the most beautiful game I own. Only Cities Skylines modded with my small-town America buildings comes close for pure lose-myself atmosphere. 

But what's even more exciting is imagine the sound design! Birds chirruping! The tinkle of flowing streams! The scrunch of fallen leaves underfoot! The scream of a cougar as it ARGHARGHARGH!

I don't think it's possible for the time being. A snowy environment should be way easier to build in a game. Considering that they've been working on the game for 3 years and built many things on this structure, it's hard to imagine and build something entirely else. And I love TLD because it's cold, dark, snowy, tough. I wouldn't want a spring season

I would rather they finish development on the first game before starting work on a new game...

They are about to finally release the beginning of the Story mode after 3-4 years of development. 

Typically after a game exits Alpha, then Beta testing begins. So I figure this game still has a ways to go, it's already amazing just with the Sandbox...but it isn't the finished and polished gem it could be.

Once it gets there, I truly hope it continues to receive periodic updates and maybe even DLC additional stories. Even if Hinterland decides to begin a new project after this one.

Based on the fan base and success of this game, their next project will probably receive even more funding and backers, than this game did. The Long Dark received backing, but it was a big risk from an unproven developer. Now many people have seen what this Studio can do. 

I do wonder where they will go next...

• Thank you everyone! Please don't get angry for this long post! And thanks if you can read it as its only because of the passion for outdoor survival! 
  • I agree that that they finish the story and then work on the sequel! 

But I only raise this cause i know TLD is doing very well! :) And looking for bigger opportunities for TLD. Its not just the graphics but the complexity of what can be done! There still could be many things added to the snow region and there is a growing wish list that shows how many things can be added. 

base and success of this game, their next project will probably receive even more funding and backers, than this game did. The Long Dark received backing, but it was a big risk from an unproven developer. Now many people have seen what this Studio can do. 

There has been a few games now going survival with out zombies, some of them perspective mode! :) So I also know its a success and just hoping they can do an upgrade with everything not just graphics, make it closer to a sim but still in a fun way! Just look at project cars 1 and now 2 and how it has improved its realistic features so it draws ever close to the feel to a real race track! They even have casual mode in it if players do not want to play around with all the complex tuning! 

Adding things like a simulated ecosystem with animals is already starting with the basics in perspective games, they now see how much more challenge and fun when this happens.  So I hope the dev do sport this opportunity and have it later in the sequel! So the world comes alive! Just look at Cities skyline and transport fever with their AI doing their own thing. A dramatic shift from simcity where the Ai were spawned and all moving in the same direction. 

There are even games now with emotions that you got to consider as a strategy challenge so that could be in the game too! 

We all love the outdoors and some are pros in it but if only we can pull that in the game just like how Project cars is doing it for their racing fans! They got their dream come true of a simulated racing game! Most of which they cannot experience in real life but now they can! No other racing game has done what they done! 

The Long Dark as I have gone on before has started the crave of wanting more! Plus seeing other realistic survival games coming out just make the craving even more juicer and I hope you all have catch the dream! Related imageImage result for yes.gif

Static Ecosystem by another Developer
There is already a game where the dev team has created a complex static ecosystem so its as authentic to nature but due to it being their first game its static and not dynamic. There is also another game where there is a basic ecosystem in an online world and you got to survive too and craft and its going well! :) 

So again I just hope the dev team will notice what I and so many others have notice with these types of survival games! You can do so much more in call to the wild if it was a survival game! More then just pretty graphics! 

The dream of seeing what we can do in real life, the places we love to go out too, come to live in a simulated game! I said this before but it does not need to be a 100% close representation of reality but the important features yes. Image result for yes.gif 

You can be alone or you can Co op and you can experience the outdoor like you would in real life and having it fun and enjoyable and still challenging! There is already Ark survival but its very arcade and does not have that feel you would in real life. Items are made in an arcade kind of way there is technical complexity to it as you would in realistic challenging games! Look at the Farm sims? There is Pure farming 2018 coming out and even Cattle & Crop that is going for realism because these are what the fans are calling for. And cattle & crop is a new farm game too! But with all these games they are trying to replicate real farming and give fans the dream they want too on being a farmer! So these two games are the next step in farming sim from the previous standard titles that have become a bit boring. 

This is why it need to be some what close to a sim but still fun at the same time just like Project cars 2! Then I do not need to watch those survival series of showing how to survive in the wild! I can take the experience i know in real life and try to apply that in the game! What TLD has already done is very good already! But as said the next time will be like instead of random things popping out you actually you need to find those stuff in the game simulated nature! Just more things you can do with a tree and get from a tree for example! That ice pond? Well there is life underneath there! How about that house? There are many things that can be done in that house! 

All these features take time but with each sequel it just gets more technical like again with Project cars 1 to 2 got even more complex in its simulation! 

NPC have lives and emotions 

One of the changes as i said could be that there are NPC that have lives and go about trying to survival! And what you do in the world will affect them just like what another game have done on these theme! You planning is not just surviving but looking out for your neighbours if you have any near by? Or perhaps you meet another NPC living in a home are you going to raid it? In most games yes you would! But with NPC being affected on what you do, now you got to think twice before you break in! Will the NPC become hostile? What is their personality like? I think if I told you this idea no one would like it but at least I have told that developer are already doing it and it is a success! 

Survival games stats: I post all this to show how well these ideas are doing! To show everyone and the developer having these ideas in the game will make it a success with out the zombies! As again if I posted this with out evidences it might be forgotten and poster might think i am nuts and do not what I am talking about! 

There is a survival game that you can co op together with bosses and its graphics is minimal 
It has 15,423 players in the last 30 days and came out in 2016

Also another early game and it has some sim aspect to it where you manage things and NPC emptions are affected on what you do. Its peak players last 30 days is 3684 and was 6000 in may of 2017 

There is also a virus management sim game where the dev has gone into such detail and CDC invited them to talk! Imagine if this can happen too for the sequel of the Long dark! Where the game is used to test pratical theories on outdoor survival? Its peak last 30 days is around 1438 players. 

There is also another survival game doing well with no zombies and brutal protect everyone in shelter or sacrifice some for longer survival? It came out in 2014 and still its peak last 30 days player 9343! So brutal hard decisions seems very popular! And now the team with 60 I think is going beyond with another hardcore suvival game which has not been release yet! 

Farming Simulator 17 shows farming is popular and the rest of other lesser farming sim is very poor! 
Peak last 30 days 10,084

The sims 3 shows incredible popularity with managing your sims, Peak last 30 days 6,992

Planet Coaster where your managing a park while also thinking about the sims emotions! Last 30 Days 6,882

There is a realistic survival managment game that has been funded and will have a basic interactive ecosystem, graphics are realistic, day & night cycle, citizen have simulated skills knowledge and will act a certain way. Got 2,963 backer and received 146,189 USD! 

The hardcore realistic static ecosystem was also successfully funded had about 6,570 backers and funded 220,709 USD! So it will work! 

The hunter call to the Wild has peak player of 4137 so if you hunt animals your going to get followers! But imagine the animal with AI that learns! Image result for yes.gif

ss_3e71e154ea452f6ce8dd445eff9f649e890a9

Fishing planet an arcade game but show there is interest in fishing! However it is a farm for money game so not so good! If only it had sim qualities!  
It peaked at 6,651 in 2015 but as of today its peak is 1,863

Planetbase perspective survival game 
Its peak in 2015 was 6667

There is a new space survival management game coming out too but don't have the stats of its funding but looks popular. 

And the game we all know called the Forest and can be played many ways but had zombies 
its best peak was in 2017 with 18,000 players. Last 30 days 7,873

I hope this is enough to convince the Dev high tech features is a win scenario cause then the game opens up to additional modification with out changing the engine every few years! That is what a famous MMO is doing having all the complexity in the game so they can keep adding more realistic features into the future with out having to do heavy modification on the game code.  

I also hope all of us who love the outdoor can get hype and what is possible cause of all of these other games! Image result for yes.gifImage result for yes.gif

6555715_orig.jpg

I thought the solar still picture was a uterus at first...:S

I am not a fan of comparing one game to another....especially The Long Dark. It isn't like any other game I have played so far....

I have zero interest in playing any of the games you have listed so far....

I looked at The Forest several times and it looks more aggravating than fun....

50 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I thought the solar still picture was a uterus at first...:S

I am not a fan of comparing one game to another....especially The Long Dark. It isn't like any other game I have played so far....

I have zero interest in playing any of the games you have listed so far....

I looked at The Forest several times and it looks more aggravating than fun....

I listed example to show what The Long dark is capable off or else no one would believe me if I posted the idea. :) If you do not understand my post let me know! i am not saying that TLD needs to be in perspective mode and Yes you and other will love the game I listed if I told what their names are and more about it. One fatal mistake you made and that developer learn from other developers that is how they improve! Or they do wild things or concepts that never has existed just like Euro truck sim and the farm sim and i am surprise you even hate a realistic 110 million funded game! I list examples to show success of an idea that will get spat on just like what your doing to me. :( 

Also i did not go into much details of why the mechanics and ideas of the game i listed are good for the long dark so if anyone do not understand it and want me to explain more please let me know! 

Do you any betters ideas to improve TLD I like to hear it? That is why I posted the topic. So please be helpful or add some constructive comment and please give a more detail explanation why you hate the other examples? And why you say you like TLD and that its different experience? Is it because of the survival aspect? :( And if you like survival realistic with our zombies then you will like the other brief examples I gave. I spend alot of time writing the post and it helps with discussion if you can write a little more and explain.   

I will do the same for you Thrasador if I posted on you post! Nice and friendly even if I disagree and not make very sexist rude comments.  

I like this to be a discussion since we are all fans of TLD and fans of the outdoor so I am sorry if I said anything wrong! And I don't mind if you say you don't like certain example but talk about it then just saying, I don't like it as it would help. 

4 hours ago, Ciliate Organism said:

I listed example to show what The Long dark is capable off or else no one would believe me if I posted the idea. :) If you do not understand my post let me know! i am not saying that TLD needs to be in perspective mode and Yes you and other will love the game I listed if I told what their names are and more about it. One fatal mistake you made and that developer learn from other developers that is how they improve! Or they do wild things or concepts that never has existed just like Euro truck sim and the farm sim and i am surprise you even hate a realistic 110 million funded game! I list examples to show success of an idea that will get spat on just like what your doing to me. :( 

Also i did not go into much details of why the mechanics and ideas of the game i listed are good for the long dark so if anyone do not understand it and want me to explain more please let me know! 

Do you any betters ideas to improve TLD I like to hear it? That is why I posted the topic. So please be helpful or add some constructive comment and please give a more detail explanation why you hate the other examples? And why you say you like TLD and that its different experience? Is it because of the survival aspect? :( And if you like survival realistic with our zombies then you will like the other brief examples I gave. I spend alot of time writing the post and it helps with discussion if you can write a little more and explain.   

I will do the same for you Thrasador if I posted on you post! Nice and friendly even if I disagree and not make very sexist rude comments.  

I like this to be a discussion since we are all fans of TLD and fans of the outdoor so I am sorry if I said anything wrong! And I don't mind if you say you don't like certain example but talk about it then just saying, I don't like it as it would help. 

The image is shaped like a uterus, my girlfriend agrees, if you don't see it...oh well I guess. All it is missing is ovaries. That wasn't an attempt at being rude or sexist. I am sorry you interpret things in the most negative way possible.

If you can't handle people not agreeing with you, or not sharing the same opinion as you, then you are in the wrong place....trust me. Wait till you post something Carbon sees....

I now regret responding in your thread, I didn't realize you needed me to agree with and love everything you were saying. Had I known that, I would not have posted.

Oh and @Ciliate Organism the developers and I haven't made any "fatal mistakes."(yet) Do you know how I know this? We are still alive....Fatal means dead. Am I dead? Is The Long Dark dead? Ok, that is solved....

If you want to read my ideas and other people's ideas, then I suggest you read the "Wish List" forum. That forum is where people list what they would like to see included in the game in the future. If this thread is a list of your wishes for the game, then it probably should be in the wish list forum. I didn't realize this was a list of your ideas for the game, I thought you just enjoyed listing how many people play crappy games on Steam... 

Archived