Share your Survival Photos!

Have some real-life experience with the great outdoors? Share a photo of yourself engaging in a little bushcraft and tell us a little about where you were and what you were doing!

Maybe you've experimented with foraging or shelter-crafting, or simply enjoy getting outside to camp, hike, or fish. Were you inspired to try new activities by The Long Dark, or was it a previous interest in wilderness survival that drew you to the game?

Doesn't have to be winter!

Alone_ConceptArt.png

I finally found one for myself: last April I took a trip to Iceland and went hiking in Reykjanesfólkvangur, a spectacular national park on the Reykjanes peninsula with a mossy, volcanic landscape.

This is a picture of myself and a friend stuffing our faces -- a time-honored survival tradition!

iceland.png

20 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

I finally found one for myself: last April I took a trip Iceland and went hiking in Reykjanesfólkvangur, a spectacular national park on the Reykjanes peninsula with a mossy volcanic landscape.

This is a picture of myself and a friend stuffing our faces -- a time-honored survival tradition!

iceland.png

Waaaaaah Iceland!!! I've been there 14 years ago. I love this country!!!! :D:D:D

On 7/15/2017 at 6:57 AM, Mel Guille said:

I finally found one for myself: last April I took a trip to Iceland and went hiking in Reykjanesfólkvangur, a spectacular national park on the Reykjanes peninsula with a mossy, volcanic landscape.

iceland.png

Looks like you found some new jeans, decent trail boots, a new light shell, wool cowl and sport socks. You really need some mitts and a toque though to avoid frostbite. Enjoy that MRE too; you know as well as anyone how rare they are. ;)

Looks like a great place to visit Mel. Never been there myself, but it's on the list. Off to Portugal myself next week for a month, not for adventure though, just for sun and fun.

On 7/14/2017 at 3:50 AM, Mel Guille said:

Whoa, is that a photo of you or a group you were with? It looks pretty intense!

Oh no no no I am very sorry for any misunderstanding! :( I posted the picture to get everyone excited about it and going outdoors if possible or even in the game! So very sorry Mel for any misunderstanding. Perhaps someone of you can do it in real life? :) 

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2017 at 8:30 PM, SnowWalker said:

This is how we survive at camp. Small Mouth Bass baby!

Very nice! But is that cooking done on a PROPANE stove? For shame, a true tld player should now the only way to cook smallmouth bass is on a potbelly stove.  ;)

I'm just giving you a hard time, I do all my camp cooking on a propane coleman stove. Makes for less clean up! :ph34r:

Sam

On 8/24/2017 at 3:43 PM, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

Very nice! But is that cooking done on a PROPANE stove? For shame, a true tld player should now the only way to cook smallmouth bass is on a potbelly stove.  ;)

I'm just giving you a hard time, I do all my camp cooking on a propane coleman stove. Makes for less clean up! :ph34r:

Sam

We have no electricity at the camp. The stove is a new addition. We've always used the big kitchen wood stove before, for years, like the one at the farmstead in PV. The potbelly is in the living room area. :) We can only get there by train which is across the lake from the first pic. We used to always have to snowshoe across the lake from the train stop in the winter but now we have the sled and just drive the truck as far as the road takes us and then sled in. In the summer we always take the train because the road ends at about two miles from the lake and we have a little motor boat on the other side to get across in the summer.

8 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

We have no electricity at the camp. The stove is a new addition. We've always used the big kitchen wood stove before, for years, like the one at the farmstead in PV. The potbelly is in the living room area. :)

Very nice! I have a big kitchen woodstove setup in the garage, I love that thing, I hardly ever use it to cook on but the oven is an awesome firewood drying kiln and the cooktop is very handy for drying out tools and gear. 

Sam

11 hours ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

Very nice! I have a big kitchen woodstove setup in the garage, I love that thing, I hardly ever use it to cook on but the oven is an awesome firewood drying kiln and the cooktop is very handy for drying out tools and gear. 

Sam

They are really great for baking things or doing roasts when it's very hot outside so that your house doesn't heat up. Ours has a small oven in it and if we're there in the winter we always use it then for cooking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2017 at 0:03 AM, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

Roughing it by modern standards, but known to the TLD community as the lap of luxury!

Where abouts is this? In the mountains somewhere? That little fun loving Lab must be in seventh heaven. Do you ever take the little Retriever duck hunting? :)

10 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I have always wanted to go to Iceland for hiking and exploring.

Iceland's main exports are Eve Online and rotting fermented shark (Kæstur hákarl )  I believe....

Eve Online blows due to human pirate griefers, and I wish to try the shark....I've tried almost everything else that's disgusting. It's on my bucket list. The shark, not Eve Online....;)

18 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

Where abouts is this? In the mountains somewhere? That little fun loving Lab must be in seventh heaven. Do you ever take the little Retriever duck hunting? :)

That's on North mountain outside of Darrington, Wa. I don't duck hunt, I've thought about it, but there's just too much going on at the moment. I'm sure she would love it though, playing fetch is her #1 favorite thing to do! 

Sam

On 9/7/2017 at 5:28 PM, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

That's on North mountain outside of Darrington, Wa. I don't duck hunt, I've thought about it, but there's just too much going on at the moment. I'm sure she would love it though, playing fetch is her #1 favorite thing to do! 

Sam

Haha, I knew you probably didn't duck hunt, I mean, who does, amirite? Fetch being her number one fave thing to do doesn't surprise me at all. I've had a few dogs and even a Beagle but the Black Lab I had's energy was off the charts. We had to get him a new home when we moved and he was only one so I don't know if they ever calm down or not later on in life but, holy!
We gave him to a family who had another older black lab and a big fenced in yard for them to play in but were allowed to live inside of the house. They very much catered to their dog and loved black labs and wanted a new younger one, not only for themselves but as a companion for the older pup. They would take them out to the woods often and camping also. When we brought Mackie there the first time the two dogs hit it off right away and ran around the yard together in sheer glee. We knew he'd be happy there.
Here's a pic of him when he was only a few months. The man who would be his new dad was impressed with the size of Mackie's paws, which when when we brought him to his new home when he was about one yrs old were bigger than the paws of his older Lab.

377661_10150373128142875_1739790991_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of my fave snaps from a few years ago when my wife & I did the North Coast 500 - not sure I'd call it 'survival' as such, Scotland has some really wild places still, considering the size of the country, but most of it is pretty easy camping. :)

This first one is early morning at Loch Ness the day we started the tour (about 7am, it was close to mid-summer). A truely magical place.

Lochness1.JPG.e180bcd4a5a79b324a53ae3ca9f2d5a1.JPG

This is my wife being totally awestruck by the view at the Kyle of Tongue (our halfway point on the tour) - the big peak on the left is Ben Loyal, we didn't hike up it on that day, which was a mistake, because the day we'd planned to do so, the weather had gone bad and we ended up not making the hike... nevermind, next time. :) 

Tongue4.thumb.JPG.5547429556bd19cfb2f6bb6b4de3602b.JPG

Archived