Lost progress/failed savegames

TLD v.426 seems very erratic about saving games properly. A handful of times I have received a false "check medium for space" message when a save fails (I have terabytes still free). Other times a save seems successful per onscreen tells, but on logging into the game again I have lost hours and even days of progress. The latest example lost a full day's progress in my trek to Timberwolf Mountain from Pleasant Valley via the rope-climb in the NE of the PV map. During that day I hiked to Mountaineer's Cabin, where I both rested and slept a number of times while waiting out a blizzard. I quit after the last sleep/save. Upon restarting the game today I was placed back in the busted cabin at the foot of the rope climb, still in PV, the night before I did the trek to TM. That was a great deal of progress to lose! And it is not atypical for this problem.

I will try to "verify the integrity of the game cache" per one of the stickies' suggestion (re: handling crashes). The other tips in that post don't seem to apply. Any other suggestions?

Greetings Chipmeister:

Same issue here, @ Timberwolf mountain and every save event causes the system to return the following error "Attempt to save game FAILED. Check that sufficient space is available".    I have vast TBs avail on disk and I have suspended making progress for now.   Lets hope there are some brain-people who can fix this.

-L

Hiya, Luca. Sorry to hear about your lost progress. I climbed back up into TM and got to the Mountaineer's hut late last night, saved, and this morning things were OK, my game had apparently saved properly. Today I spent quite a few days hauling a lot of gear from Pleasant Valley up the rope to TM, so I really hope this latest save is good, that was a lot of virtual work. I of course saved quite a few times during the session, never hit the failed save game message, so that's a good sign. We'll see later on I suppose.

36 minutes ago, chipinthedark said:

Hiya, Luca. Sorry to hear about your lost progress. I climbed back up into TM and got to the Mountaineer's hut late last night, saved, and this morning things were OK, my game had apparently saved properly. Today I spent quite a few days hauling a lot of gear from Pleasant Valley up the rope to TM, so I really hope this latest save is good, that was a lot of virtual work. I of course saved quite a few times during the session, never hit the failed save game message, so that's a good sign. We'll see later on I suppose.

@chipinthedark Are you playing on Xbox One? If so please try a full power cycle, as this will force a re-sync with the cloud - instructions for this are here: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/power-cycle-console

8 hours ago, Luca Loquax said:

Greetings Chipmeister:

Same issue here, @ Timberwolf mountain and every save event causes the system to return the following error "Attempt to save game FAILED. Check that sufficient space is available".    I have vast TBs avail on disk and I have suspended making progress for now.   Lets hope there are some brain-people who can fix this.

-L

Luca, can you confirm which platform you are playing on? Xbox? Windows? Steam? etc. Thank you. 

Hello Mr. Carlson

I am on Xbox One and having the same issue:

I receive save failures frequently, if I receive the message once, it will continue to error on each save instance until I restart the console. The failed saves appear to save anyhow until a crash occurs, at which time it reverts to the last successful save (before the errors started).

I have taken to restarting my console whenever I receive the error (in Mystery lake and Coastal Highway) and on restart I get an hour or so of successful saves before the error occurs again.

I have just entered into Desolation Point and I cannot get a successful save to save my (virtual) life.  I tried moving the save data from internal to external storage, but Delete is the only available option.  I would like to backup my savegame data to reinstall the game so I don't lose my Feats progress, but there does not seem to be a way to do so.

20170629_221411.jpg

1 hour ago, Alphageek2u said:

Hello Mr. Carlson

I receive save failures frequently, if I receive the message once, it will continue to error on each save instance until I restart the console. The failed saves appear to save anyhow until a crash occurs, at which time it reverts to the last successful save (before the errors started).

I have taken to restarting my console whenever I receive the error (in Mystery lake and Coastal Highway) and on restart I get an hour or so of successful saves before the error occurs again.

I have just entered into Desolation Point and I cannot get a successful save to save my (virtual) life.  I tried moving the save data from internal to external storage, but Delete is the only available option.  I would like to backup my savegame data to reinstall the game so I don't lose my Feats progress, but there does not seem to be a way to do so.

20170629_221411.jpg

Thanks for this info - it could be invaluable actually. Please send a report to support@hinterlandgames with this issue in the subject line and the same details you provided above included in the report. We'll be looking into it. Sorry you are running into this problem. 

Patrick: Like Luca, I run the STEAM distribution on Win 10.

Also, the files verification process was 100% successful, no probs reported.

I have had a large number of crashes with this version as well, which resulted in a number of folders with crash info but no real instructions as to what to do with them. Can you advise?

Follow-up: After nearly two RL days of gameplay with no problems, I went to load my sandbox again just now and the load screen shows "Timberwolf Mountain>The Outdoors," which is very disappointing because I last saved by sleeping in the Mountaineer's Hut. I'm really apprehensive about how much progress has been lost because I have been mapping the region very carefully (the Charcoal addition is an excellent one!) and the last time I recall saving in the outdoors was many game days ago -- I may have lost up to 50% of my mapping progress. Before I load the sandbox in again and perhaps over-write some critical data, is there anything I can submit beyond this report that may help shed light on the problem? During gameplay there were no crashes and no errors with saving or any other aspect of the gameplay.

3 minutes ago, chipinthedark said:

Follow-up: After nearly two RL days of gameplay with no problems, I went to load my sandbox again just now and the load screen shows "Timberwolf Mountain>The Outdoors," which is very disappointing because I last saved by sleeping in the Mountaineer's Hut. I'm really apprehensive about how much progress has been lost because I have been mapping the region very carefully (the Charcoal addition is an excellent one!) and the last time I recall saving in the outdoors was many game days ago -- I may have lost up to 50% of my mapping progress. Before I load the sandbox in again and perhaps over-write some critical data, is there anything I can submit beyond this report that may help shed light on the problem? During gameplay there were no crashes and no errors with saving or any other aspect of the gameplay.

@chipinthedark Please go ahead and contact support@hinterlandgames.com directly. Thanks for your patience. 

2 hours ago, chipinthedark said:

I emailed TS an hour or so after your post -- no reply to date, not even an automated confirmation message. This doesn't bode well.

I also emailed support on 7/10/17 and have received no reply: automated or otherwise.

I have started a new sandbox, so as not to overwrite anything and have not received any errors yet.  now I had gathered quite a quantity of supplies in the previous sandbox, is it possible that the total number of in-game elements spawned/discovered has something to do with it?  I would pose this question to TS if I could.

14 minutes ago, Alphageek2u said:

I also emailed support on 7/10/17 and have received no reply: automated or otherwise.

I have started a new sandbox, so as not to overwrite anything and have not received any errors yet.  now I had gathered quite a quantity of supplies in the previous sandbox, is it possible that the total number of in-game elements spawned/discovered has something to do with it?  I would pose this question to TS if I could.

Did you go ahead and try a power cycle as indicated for the other Xbox user above? Did it help?

On 7/10/2017 at 6:53 PM, chipinthedark said:

Patrick: Like Luca, I run the STEAM distribution on Win 10.

Also, the files verification process was 100% successful, no probs reported.

I have had a large number of crashes with this version as well, which resulted in a number of folders with crash info but no real instructions as to what to do with them. Can you advise?

Since you're on Steam, this is likely not a similar issue to Xbox. It could be a corrupted file. If you are having crashes and stability issues please consult these steps first: http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/4/517142892050420296/

There's also info in there are finding and submitting logs, if need-be. 

We're finalizing our game for our August launch right now, so it is a particularly intense time for the tech team. We appreciate your patience, as always. 

Already verified my files, 100% OK. Don't see much use in mailing in files that will just be ignored. Also, the save game I referenced above (Tues. 7:41) was misidentified by the load game UI -- it said Timberwolf Mountain - Outdoors, but loaded inside the Mountaineer's Hut, which was where I last saved, no progress lost here, but the screwy save game labeling was annoying. It happened twice more later on.

On 7/10/2017 at 2:29 PM, Alphageek2u said:

Hello Mr. Carlson

20170629_221411.jpg

Hi Mr. Carlson

Yes, as stated in my original comment I have taken to.rebooting, and indeed fully unplugging my console frequently to no avail.

13 hours ago, chipinthedark said:

Also, the save game I referenced above (Tues. 7:41) was misidentified by the load game UI -- it said Timberwolf Mountain - Outdoors, but loaded inside the Mountaineer's Hut, which was where I last saved, no progress lost here, but the screwy save game labeling was annoying. It happened twice more later on.

The Mountaineer's Hut counts as "outdoors", so far as the game is concerned. That's why the world outside doesn't unload (no brief black screen) when you enter it.

THREE crashes tonight within a 6-hour session. Every one set me back at least two saves. I was looting the Tail Section on Summit, was just starting to relay-haul the stuff over the cliff after sorting and breaking it all down over a period of at least three game days. I rappelled to the bottom of the cliff, started to walk away and crashed. Lost at least two full day's progress because the cargo containers I had consolidated stuff in still had the heavy crap in them, which I had hauled to the rope site first. Hours of realtime lost.

You mentioned a launch in August? I do not recommend it.

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

The Mountaineer's Hut counts as "outdoors", so far as the game is concerned. That's why the world outside doesn't unload (no brief black screen) when you enter it.

OK, that sort of makes sense, but the save games are labeled either "The Outdoors" or "Timberwolf Mountain," even when saving in the exact same spot in the cabin. Inconsistent and confusing.

Just now, chipinthedark said:

THREE crashes tonight within a 6-hour session. Every one set me back at least two saves.
You mentioned a launch in August? I do not recommend it.

I would hope, as part of the process of getting certification for Xbox and Playstation, plenty of currently existing bugs will have been squashed. I would also hope the same is the case for the PC version of the game.

I'm having the same saving problems on win10 on steam. It's weird. because I've been playing for a long time with no saving issues, and suddelny it happens now and then that i receive that message. The problem seems to come and go, sometimes I will not be able to save, but go on, and later it saves. Or some other times, the message of not being able to save doesn't display anymore, leading me to think it's saving, only to find out later that it wasn't actually saving. I could bear the ocassional freezing and crashing of the game when exiting indoors locations, but with this save problem added, it's starting to get anoying to play. ¿Any fixes or help for this issue yet?

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Can you describe in a bit more detail what happens when you lose the games? That would help us understand better what might be happening and why. Sorry you are running into this. 

Ok, lets see if I can help you. Problems happened on the last version before the recent patch and then after as well. Current version: v1.0.3 (32306)

This was on SURVIVAL mode, but one of my friends had this problem playing on story mode after a crash.

One of 2 scenarios happened and resulted in a lost game:

-   After a crash, when entering/leaving a building holding a lit up lantern on my hand. I got blue screen, restarted the game, game wouldn't read my save file (which was on the HDD with the same file size as other saves and no corrupted icon or any indication of corruption). Was carrying a lot of items with me (around 40kg). This happened twice.

-   After I exited the game normally to upload my save to the cloud (hoping to have a backup in case something went wrong). I started by forcing a save (entering/leaving a cabin) and then quit the game, loaded the game again to check if I could resume, and the game just didn't want to read my save anymore. This happened 3 times already.

So as far as I can tell, they could be completely unrelated problems that result in the same outcome (stops reading save file), OR, the crash just forces me to re-open the game and realize my save was already gone in the first place.

On all cases, I was over 14 days survived when the problems happened.

My other friends playing with me over PSN chat, had the same problems stated above, both with around 7-8 games lost each. Either crash and save is gone, or quit the game to make a backup and the save is also gone.

If you need the save files (.bin) those could be provided as well as I made a backup on my pen drive.

Archived