What's the official Longest run on Interloper?

Survival

And it's the internet, so yeah...nobody fails, everyone has miraculously long runs. Reminds me of those genealogy research sites; they never come back and say "you come from a long line of historically insignificant people for whom there is little of note between birth and death." :P

Anyhow, my Interloper run was less than a day...back to Stalker for me. Regardless of my skill, I just don't dig on or do well in the continuous three-alarm fire scenario presented in Interloper.

It's pretty hard to do a very long Interloper run, because it's so damn boring past 50-100 days (seriously, long runs in this game on any difficulty give you IRL cabin fever). In theory you can basically live forever on Interloper (if you really want to scrape by with nothing but your magnifying lens, crafted clothes, and your bare hands plus a hat), and you have enough supplies to live 'comfortably' (ie with actually clothing/a bow + arrows to make hunting easy) for about 3000-5000 days depending on how carefully you manage things, and that isn't even factoring in anything you get from beachcombing. So even if you don't want to scrape by with nothing but a lens/your bare hands, you can easily do a thousands of days run. I don't think most people realize how much of a game changer having lvl 5 in Carcass Harvesting, Cooking, Firestarting, and Archery actually is (it really makes everything very easy, and with lvl 5 carcass harvesting there is little need for tools at all).

And for that matter, I don't think most people realise you can make it to day 200 on Interloper only using 2-3 matches in total (and no firestriker charges), and all of those only in the first 20 days (although obviously it depends on luck at the start to use that few, but even if you are very very very unlucky you wouldn't need more then about 12 matches to get started and then never use one the rest of the game), meaning matches aren't even close to the actual limiting factor. (there are over 200 matches on Interloper if you count all the firestriker charges/flares you can use to make fires) I only mention this because the common response I hear from people inexperienced with interloper is that 'well you would run out of matches eventually).

Clothing wise: Not like it makes any difference if it is -100C or -10C Feels Like outside so clothing hardly matters much past day 50 on Interloper anyways outside of the minimum required to avoid frostbite, and even that can technically dealt with, it just makes things way harder then they need to be if you choose to go completely naked; crafted clothing is basically free to repair, since there is hundreds of scrap metal to make tackles out of, so the only thing would be having to occasionally use cloth to repair a hat. But if you only wear the hat as needed to avoid frostbite (ie only wear it if outside for a while otherwise keep it off to save durability) and never get it damaged by wolves, the cloth consumption would be so low as to be negligible; it is likely beach combing would give you enough and even if it didn't you wouldn't run out of cloth for thousands of days this way unless you wasted it all early on/constantly waste bandages.

Edit: And I completely forgot about fishing too: you can fish with some of the hundreds of scrap metal, which would also stretch your 'easy survival' past running out of birch for arrows (birch and cloth are the biggest limiting factors on 'easy life' so conserving them is the most important thing if you are going for a thousands of days run).

Heck if you were allowing starvation (ie exploiting) there really is no reason you couldn't live forever off just rabbits, which you don't need anything but a lens to cook and your bare hands to catch/harvest, so you wouldn't even need to mess with stealing wolf kills which is slightly risky.

But either way, I don't think anyone cares about all the minutiae of such a run, because I don't think anyone is ever going to bother, so I'm not going to go into full detail about how you could go about 'playing conservatively'. I just like to ramble about stuff.

But really, I would be surprised if anyone actually bothered to keep playing past 100-200 days on Interloper, not because of it being a challenge, but because it's just so repetitive and boring at that point, and the only way you can really die is a massive screw up if you are already good enough to make it that far.

Edited by Troxism
  • Upvote 7

There isn't much more that can be done to increase difficulty. I would like to see primitive fire-making put in and containers. Collection of containers would add another element to the game and give you something more to do. 

• 1 year later...

Seen one guy who wanted to see how long a fire could burn in Interloper. It's still burning, last I checked. So well over 1,000 days. Heard about one guy pushing 7,000. "Official"? No one. Why? There are no official leaderboards. Now that they added hats, you can live forever. The one thing that eventually would get you, frost bite, no longer is an issue with renewable hats.