Dropping Backpack

hunglasx

But I don't think it has to be very complex and could easily be incorporated in the current interface (provided they intend to keep this interface). It could be as simple as a button to mark items as carried on you person and a chance to the weight counter that will indicate how much weight is in you backpack and how much is on your body.

that's what I wanted to say, marking items would be great. devs can assign a limit kilo that you carry on your body like 5 kilo.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I don't think it has to be very complex and could easily be incorporated in the current interface (provided they intend to keep this interface). It could be as simple as a button to mark items as carried on you person and a chance to the weight counter that will indicate how much weight is in you backpack and how much is on your body.

that's what I wanted to say, marking items would be great. devs can assign a limit kilo that you carry on your body like 5 kilo.

Totally agree with this solution...during the game you can continue to change the markers (inside the limit of n..kilos)

Afther that with some "bottom" DROP backpack, you can run away from danger and return after to take your backpack.

What about it..i haven't heard about this part of the drop..

When you re-found your backpack it is like it was or..my opinion some food disappear..maybe some wolves near it..some item degraded..ecc

Worn clothing is a different story though. Worn clothing should always be considered on your person and cannot be "unmarked" without taking off the clothes. And do these clothes count towards the kg limit you can carry on your person? If yes, the limit should be more than 5kg, but I'd say they should not be counted.

When you get back to your pack, items should have been degraded as if they had been laying outside in a backpack, but with possible random "damage" done to them (some items should have lower condition due to damage taken) and some food could be gone. But then the dropped pack should also function as a decoy, or else it would have taken no damage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

With the current UI (v.236) There is a flag on clothing items that marks an item as "worn". I would propose that this functionality be extended to all non clothing items but for non clothing items that flag is "carried". I see it working this way (within current UI design).

• Your carry capacity before encumbrance with a backpack is 30 kg.
  • Green Backpacks have a 20 kg weight allowance.
  • This could mean you have a "carry" capacity of 10 kg.
  • Worn clothing "worn" and items with the "carry" flag in your inventory must fit within a 10 kg limit (ala container, you get the boop sound when you try to add an item after 10 kg).
  • When you hit the drop backpack key (5), EVERYTHING in your inventory that is not worn or carried is in a pile on the ground, including a new unique backpack item (same look as green backpack)
  • Until you pick up this backpack item (does not appear in inventory), your carry capacity before encumbrance is 10 kg
  • You have to pick up every item individually. This mass drop is like you dropped everything in a hurry, its messy but its using the UI in the game now, not some new portable container, and it allows you to be carrying more than 20 kg in gear and not have the game decide what makes it into the dropped bag.

Then the only "inventory management" you have to do is decide which items within 10kg is "carried". Which you do at home in safety before you go out, or when you find something good and need to add this to your personal items. These are times when you are NOT being chased by wolves. Also, fully fatigued you can carry 15 kg, so when you hit drop, the most you can carry (before encumbrance) is 10 kg, if you have the stamina, you can run at full speed.

My $0.02 (CDN), oh wait, we don't have pennies anymore.

• 1 month later...
With the current UI (v.236) There is a flag on clothing items that marks an item as "worn". I would propose that this functionality be extended to all non clothing items but for non clothing items that flag is "carried". I see it working this way (within current UI design).

• Your carry capacity before encumbrance with a backpack is 30 kg.
  • Green Backpacks have a 20 kg weight allowance.
  • This could mean you have a "carry" capacity of 10 kg.
  • Worn clothing "worn" and items with the "carry" flag in your inventory must fit within a 10 kg limit (ala container, you get the boop sound when you try to add an item after 10 kg).
  • When you hit the drop backpack key (5), EVERYTHING in your inventory that is not worn or carried is in a pile on the ground, including a new unique backpack item (same look as green backpack)
  • Until you pick up this backpack item (does not appear in inventory), your carry capacity before encumbrance is 10 kg
  • You have to pick up every item individually. This mass drop is like you dropped everything in a hurry, its messy but its using the UI in the game now, not some new portable container, and it allows you to be carrying more than 20 kg in gear and not have the game decide what makes it into the dropped bag.

Then the only "inventory management" you have to do is decide which items within 10kg is "carried". Which you do at home in safety before you go out, or when you find something good and need to add this to your personal items. These are times when you are NOT being chased by wolves. Also, fully fatigued you can carry 15 kg, so when you hit drop, the most you can carry (before encumbrance) is 10 kg, if you have the stamina, you can run at full speed.

My $0.02 (CDN), oh wait, we don't have pennies anymore.

+1. Except the pick up everything individually. It would be obnoxious, especially if your backpack is dropped on a slope and half the stuff rolls down the hill. I would be okay with a few things that clearly aren't being stuffed into a backpack (the rifle, lantern, bedroll) falling into the snow, but while travelling you're going to leave every single zipper on your bag shut so nothing should be popping out.

If we wanted to get REALLY technical you could add a wildlife mechanic where if you've dropped your backpack and raw meat is inside it might attract wildlife. You already attract it when you're running around, so it would make sense.

10kg seems fair to carry. Your clothes automatically stay on and count for your weight, but if you had another 6kg of personal carry weight you could choose to keep a rifle, a handful of flares, some soda and food and maybe a hunting knife. It's not enough weight to get away with just dropping your backpack and run around surviving easily, but it's enough you can survive if you have to drop an overweight backpack to run from a wolf or if you're in a fishing hut and just want to run to your cabin and back without dumping the contents of your bag into some drawers.

Yeah drop the whole backpack, great idea.

But you can only carry a stuff if say you have another backup bag like a shoulder satchel which can likely only carry 6 kilograms, tools like hatchet and knife I reckon you can carry on your belt or rifle, bow and arrows can be slung but ANYTHING else has to go in the satchel, mostly just for foraging and I wouldn't want a "Carried in your Arms" mechanic to complicate things.

Yeah drop the whole backpack, great idea.

But you can only carry a stuff if say you have another backup bag like a shoulder satchel which can likely only carry 6 kilograms, tools like hatchet and knife I reckon you can carry on your belt or rifle, bow and arrows can be slung but ANYTHING else has to go in the satchel, mostly just for foraging and I wouldn't want a "Carried in your Arms" mechanic to complicate things.

And that idea would make another great crafting option to create a leather hide satchel of some sort? that can only carry x amount of kilograms.

I think any rifle/bow/arrows all should be slung separate to back packs. main knife would be slung off belt as well.

• 1 month later...

I'd just like to be able to drop the backpack for when I sleep, because that's logical to me.

I'd keep all 'worn' clothing on me, but everything else that's in my inventory (and therefore presumably in my backpack) gets dropped IN the backpack.

It makes no sense that we sleep in a bed with our backpacks on, but that's currently what is implied.

The backpack should look like this:

553801FE0FA3196881046671E342641320A98D76

It's already represented in-game, just make it another button in the first 'Tab' menu, next to your Bedroll; "Drop Pack".

That way I won't be getting fatigued for sleeping with a 30kg backpack still on my back (:

I'll just pretend that I take the backpack off when I go to bed and pretend to put it back on when I get up. Seriously, you would want to have to perform an action every time you go to bed and every time you get up?

Would it be realistic? Yes. Would it be fun? No.

I'm all for dropping the backpack but this is one thing I would not use it for.

Archived