Day 20 interloper and super happy

Rada_

1 minute ago, Rada_ said:

Nope, I don't have a bedroll. I'm definitely going to fish for a while.

How many days do I have until interloper is unplayable? Is that a thing? I'm at day 27. Is there a day 60? 100? 

I personally have got up to day 64 in interloper (I thought i got past day 70 but after checking I am wrong), others have got much further than I. AFAIK the temperature drop stops at day 50, but it is punishing as hell, it doesn't matter what clothes you wear outside, you may as well be naked. The best things you can do for your survival is to exist in an area where you can avoid cabin fever (no.1 priority, which is stupid), be able to hunt good game (such as deer) and work up to getting that good ol bear skin bedroll which I have yet to get in interloper but I am hopeful it will solve all my problems :) 

Personally I find ML a bit inconvenient for interloper.   Lots of blizzards, the deer & rabbit spawns tend to be spread out accross the zone and there aren't many good places for an outdoor fire.  Behind the camp office isn't horrible, but it's far from the best in the game.  I guess with a bedroll you could live in a fishing hut, but the firewood/ coal availability near the lake isn't great.

I find CH or DP much easier.  Easier to hunt or fish, better availability for firewood, cloth and metal, better weather.

3 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Personally I find ML a bit inconvenient for interloper.   Lots of blizzards, the deer & rabbit spawns tend to be spread out accross the zone and there aren't many good places for an outdoor fire.  Behind the camp office isn't horrible, but it's far from the best in the game.  I guess with a bedroll you could live in a fishing hut, but the firewood/ coal availability near the lake isn't great.

I find CH or DP much easier.  Easier to hunt or fish, better availability for firewood, cloth and metal, better weather.

Thanks. For some reason I thought ML was going to be easier than the other regions, I don't know why.

1 hour ago, Carbon said:

DP is my new go-to place for the long term. The lighthouse has the upper level for dealing with cabin fever (out of the wind, can make fires up there) loads of wildlife, 2 mines and the forge nearby.

Definitely camping there.

4 hours ago, Carbon said:

DP is my new go-to place for the long term. The lighthouse has the upper level for dealing with cabin fever (out of the wind, can make fires up there) loads of wildlife, 2 mines and the forge nearby.

I personally prefer the Riken -- it's centrally located with deer and rabbits right outside the door and a convenient walk to the workbench at Hibernia.  The wheelhouse is very sheltered for an outdoor fire.  Unfortunately it's not comfy feeling like the lighthouse, and very dark inside.  It took a lot of blindly bumping into things to learn my way around.   I have this hope that the aurora will add flickering to all the lights inside and make navigation easier.

Jackrabbit Island in CH is another favorite, as @Renegade30 mentioned.  There's a dip in the rocks behind the house that is quite sheltered for an outdoor fire.  (I don't bother with a snow shelter, I just hang out by the fire for chores like repairing, reading books, harvesting bunnies.)  Jackrabbit is convenient to rabbits, hunting, fishing and beach combing.  The workbench is a little farther (fishing village) but it's not a bad walk and there's beach combing on the way.  Since it's outdoors it's great for fending off cabin fever, just build a fire under the workbench while you craft.

59682c9e9b2fb_Jackrabbitfire.thumb.jpg.9f73b979a6f31ae033f0b9ab45bf9cc5.jpg

The Riken is an interesting idea. I never actually thought of it as a base. But yes, Jackrabbit is the best place in CH. Safe with ample resources and not having an indoor fire forces you outside making cabin fever a non-issue.

Hmmm...the Riken then... :)

6 minutes ago, Carbon said:

The Riken is an interesting idea. I never actually thought of it as a base. But yes, Jackrabbit is the best place in CH. Safe with ample resources and not having an indoor fire forces you outside making cabin fever a non-issue.

Hmmm...the Riken then... :)

If nothing else, it's a great secondary base.  You can hunt the bunnies and deer with little fear of wolves, very close to someplace to warm up.  I've even used the scent meter to pull the bear over from Hibernia to kill it close to a convenient spot for butchering, again with littler fear of wolves.   It's possible to jack the scent meter up high enough to bring the wolves over too, but with care you can avoid that.

16 hours ago, Rada_ said:

Nope, I don't have a bedroll. I'm definitely going to fish for a while.

How many days do I have until interloper is unplayable? Is that a thing? I'm at day 27. Is there a day 60? 100? 

screen_b3c4680e-b8f0-4aac-8ae0-e4babcef82cf.thumb.png.306509f14fe86db5d8b32d7ef9d3e922.png

Peple have historically made it past 200 days on Interloper, I am not sure which of those runs dated pre or post World Decay mechanics. I consider any run past 4 days on Interloper a success :P.

So regardless of what happens you did well. If you don't make it, you will learn from this experience and with a little RNG luck on your side you will have an even better run in the future eventually.

So no stress, and good luck!

You know @Rada_, I have heard many anecdotes about those long Interloper runs, but seen very little evidence. Now, I'm not saying that those who claim long runs are lying, but again, there is little hard evidence that they aren't the exception rather than the rule and like @Thrasador said, even a modest victory is still a victory.

27 days is very respectable and I think you can keep it going, so long as you continue to make good decisions and keep your wits about you. Wolves become the factor I believe; a typical run in Interloper sees a player with constantly diminished stats that if taken down to a very low level, are very difficult if not impossible to recover. So watch out for those wolves! :)

Keep us posted.

4 minutes ago, Carbon said:

You know @Rada_, I have heard many anecdotes about those long Interloper runs, but seen very little evidence. Now, I'm not saying that those who claim long runs are lying, but again, there is little hard evidence that they aren't the exception rather than the rule and like @Thrasador said, even a modest victory is still a victory.

27 days is very respectable and I think you can keep it going, so long as you continue to make good decisions and keep your wits about you. Wolves become the factor I believe; a typical run in Interloper sees a player with constantly diminished stats that if taken down to a very low level, are very difficult if not impossible to recover. So watch out for those wolves! :)

Keep us posted.

Basically when Interloper first was implemented people made it to 200 days, (or people claimed like @Carbon said) so they implemented World Decay mechanics that make all playplaythroughs more difficult. It gets increasingly colder over time, there is less prey wildlife to eat, and more predator wildlife. Untill you get cooking to level 5, predator meat gives you an increasing chance to catch parasites, the more consecutive days you eat it...so limited food. The objects you find in the world are also allegedly decaying upon beginning a new game as well.

So I don't know how many people are lasting how long currently.

That being said, most people who try interloper without any experience in the game probably typically freeze or starve to death within the first three days or so. This can really happen to anyone on a real bad luck start....at night, in a full blizzard, no idea what map you are on, or where you are on said map. So there's that. Even on a nicer start, daytime, you know where you are, you see shelter, you can still starve to death or freeze to death in the first three days.

So the first major accomplishment is lasting a week. The next goal is last a week and get to a forge and make tools. If you manage to do that, it's also a big success. So the next goal is last 2-3 weeks, at least forge a knife (or two), some arrowheads and make some arrows and a bow (the necessity of an improvised axe has become debatable as you can break stuff with a hammer, which is also repairable, and cut some things with a hacksaw...you need a knife to craft other things).

I would call an Interloper run a full success if you manage all of the above, have crafted clothes and other decent clothes in general, find or craft a bedroll so you can sleep anywhere, and managed to store a couple weeks of edible food and wood. If you do all that you made it. Anyone can die at anytime in the game with some bad luck. Like getting attacked by a wolf and then a bear, or even worse vice versa, lol. If you got all that stuff done and then happened to have a real bad luck day, you still made it I say....

screen_a225e30b-2cfb-476b-a1f4-fd24b733b829.thumb.png.5e1a3a8836e76d302c379f3a9c3444bc.png

Day 34. Thanks to all of you for your opinions

Definitely I want to get out of ML, but it seems kinda hard. I think it's more dangerous to go all the way back to DP than to stay here.

I'm not doing bad though. I still have to loot some cabins and fishing huts. Now I have to start crafting my clothes. I got the deer on the pic and I have one more outside Camp Office.

Three more deer and four wolfs for the clothing. Then two bears for the bedroll.

2 hours ago, Rada_ said:

screen_a225e30b-2cfb-476b-a1f4-fd24b733b829.thumb.png.5e1a3a8836e76d302c379f3a9c3444bc.png

Day 34. Thanks to all of you for your opinions

Definitely I want to get out of ML, but it seems kinda hard. I think it's more dangerous to go all the way back to DP than to stay here.

I'm not doing bad though. I still have to loot some cabins and fishing huts. Now I have to start crafting my clothes. I got the deer on the pic and I have one more outside Camp Office.

Three more deer and four wolfs for the clothing. Then two bears for the bedroll.

Yeah, I would check on the bear on the far end of Mystery Lake first since you are in the Camp Office. If that one isn't there you can look for the one by Max's Last Stand. Sometimes that one wanders all the way to the front yard of the Trappers Hut. Might be able to arc an arrow into it from the porch.;)

If you manage to find or craft a bedroll, I might have a couple Ideas....

Just now, Thrasador said:

Yeah, I would check on the bear on the far end of Mystery Lake first since you are in the Camp Office. If that one isn't there you can look for the one by Max's Last Stand. Sometimes that one wanders all the way to the front yard of the Trappers Hut. Might be able to arc an arrow into it from the porch.;)

If you manage to find or craft a bedroll, I might have a couple Ideas....

If I get the bedroll in this playthrough I'm buying a yacht.

1 hour ago, Rada_ said:

If I get the bedroll in this playthrough I'm buying a yacht.

Well if you manage to bag two bears and craft a bear bedroll, which is a feat in of itself, then you have many more options for survival. You might still find a cloth one if you check everywhere. I almost prefer a cloth one, it isn't as warm but its lighter and you don't have to bag more bears to repair it.

One you will hate for sure, the other is pretty solid.

The one you will hate is FM, and I don't blame you I hate it there too. There are too many wolves, it's too cold, and it has way too many fog days where you very easily get lost. You are best not going out into the fog of death. So it's a risk. There are static spawns there in Interloper and because of how my mind works I can't just not go there once to grab everything really fast (couple days), and get the heck out.

Like I would follow the tracks to the red train cars, the Poachers Camp, and loot that. There are at least static wooden matches there. Then I would head north to the tower to check for metal boxes and a couple dead guys up there. Then hit the waterfall cave, loot inside it grab the rope. Search the exit plateau of the cave, there are some belongings left up there and saplings, bunnies and no wolves. Deploy the rope to go down, (with less than 30 kilos, so leave stuff at poachers before hitting the waterfall) and search the low blind. Hug the outskirts of the map till you get to the farmstead and loot the crap out of that. Including the safe behind some wooden crates under the bed. Circle around the other edge, taking refuge in caves and go around till you get back to the tracks, maybe hitting the high blind on the lake if you can find a safe path to it. Either walk out or consolidate items at poachers and come back later one more time to get the stuff you leave there, since you can just follow the tracks to get back there.

Plus there are all the cattails and mushrooms....lots of warm 100 calorie cooking skill increases. Don't go there though if things go sideways and you will hate me forever if you die. It is a risk, we both know that and I'm not telling you to go. It's just an idea, free loot, and you aren't planning on staying.

The other waaaay less deadly idea is the ravine connector map that connects ML to CH. I would bring like at least 5 snares, your bow and arrow, your tools, cloth, and bedroll. There is a cave way to the right after entering from ML. There's also a cave further up on the left, and the big open cave even further up over the tracks.

I like the one on the right. There are two deer that spawn there consecutively occasionally being present together and bunnies outside both caves. You could just live in the cave on deer and bunnies. There are no wolves or bear so it's boring and you'll need to go to ML to kill a bear if you can't find a cloth bedroll, so you can repair the bear one.

There's also the flare gun in the ravine, but you'll need a rope. Sometimes there is a rope in the far cave on the CH end. You will also have to sleep in the cave at the bottom of the ravine to be fully rested (so bring your bedroll), even after doing so, you may still need a coffee and to rest on the ledge on the way up to get out. The rope is really really long. I almost got stuck down there.

This is a link to a bunch of known static loot spawns on Interloper, so spoiler:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=888366399

49 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Well if you manage to bag two bears and craft a bear bedroll, which is a feat in of itself, then you have many more options for survival. You might still find a cloth one if you check everywhere. I almost prefer a cloth one, it isn't as warm but its lighter and you don't have to bag more bears to repair it.

One you will hate for sure, the other is pretty solid.

The one you will hate is FM, and I don't blame you I hate it there too. There are too many wolves, it's too cold, and it has way too many fog days where you very easily get lost. You are best not going out into the fog of death. So it's a risk. There are static spawns there in Interloper and because of how my mind works I can't just not go there once to grab everything really fast (couple days), and get the heck out.

Hide contents

Like I would follow the tracks to the red train cars, the Poachers Camp, and loot that. There are at least static wooden matches there. Then I would head north to the tower to check for metal boxes and a couple dead guys up there. Then hit the waterfall cave, loot inside it grab the rope. Search the exit plateau of the cave, there are some belongings left up there and saplings, bunnies and no wolves. Deploy the rope to go down, (with less than 30 kilos, so leave stuff at poachers before hitting the waterfall) and search the low blind. Hug the outskirts of the map till you get to the farmstead and loot the crap out of that. Including the safe behind some wooden crates under the bed. Circle around the other edge, taking refuge in caves and go around till you get back to the tracks, maybe hitting the high blind on the lake if you can find a safe path to it. Either walk out or consolidate items at poachers and come back later one more time to get the stuff you leave there, since you can just follow the tracks to get back there.

Plus there are all the cattails and mushrooms....lots of warm 100 calorie cooking skill increases. Don't go there though if things go sideways and you will hate me forever if you die. It is a risk, we both know that and I'm not telling you to go. It's just an idea, free loot, and you aren't planning on staying.

The other waaaay less deadly idea is the ravine connector map that connects ML to CH. I would bring like at least 5 snares, your bow and arrow, your tools, cloth, and bedroll. There is a cave way to the right after entering from ML. There's also a cave further up on the left, and the big open cave even further up over the tracks.

I like the one on the right. There are two deer that spawn there consecutively occasionally being present together and bunnies outside both caves. You could just live in the cave on deer and bunnies. There are no wolves or bear so it's boring and you'll need to go to ML to kill a bear if you can't find a cloth bedroll, so you can repair the bear one.

There's also the flare gun in the ravine, but you'll need a rope. Sometimes there is a rope in the far cave on the CH end. You will also have to sleep in the cave at the bottom of the ravine to be fully rested (so bring your bedroll), even after doing so, you may still need a coffee and to rest on the ledge on the way up to get out. The rope is really really long. I almost got stuck down there.

This is a link to a bunch of known static loot spawns on Interloper, so spoiler:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=888366399

Thank you so much for the information.

Yes. On the way to ML I went through the cave in the Ravine and thought it would be a great place to camp.

The first thing I will do is finish looting all the fishing huts and cabins (with the hope of finding a bedroll), and in the meantime I'll work on the clothes.

In the worst case scenario I'll go to Trapper's Cabin visiting Unnamed Pond before.

49 minutes ago, Rada_ said:

Thank you so much for the information.

Yes. On the way to ML I went through the cave in the Ravine and thought it would be a great place to camp.

The first thing I will do is finish looting all the fishing huts and cabins (with the hope of finding a bedroll), and in the meantime I'll work on the clothes.

In the worst case scenario I'll go to Trapper's Cabin visiting Unnamed Pond before.

No problemo. I actually really enjoy sharing info on this game in general. I haven't been playing long, but I studied all the maps and have a decent memory. So don't hesitate to pick my brain on where stuff is.

That static list of loot on Interloper is a pretty big help in general.

Just to clarify one thing on the ravine climb, by rest I don't mean sleep on the ledge. I meant rest for a couple minutes on the ledge to get your stamina bar filled. You should do all the resting in the cave at the bottom of the ravine and drink a coffee right before you begin the climb up the rope.

If you sleep on the actual legde there could be a bug where it won't let you select the rope from the middle.....from what I read somewhere in the forum.

So if you can't make it to the ledge after sleeping in the cave down there, quit and reload your game in the cave and try sleeping till you are fully rested.

The flare gun not only stops a bear charge, if you manage to hit the bear with a flare shell it will eventually kill the bear like shooting it. Pretty useful....

1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

No problemo. I actually really enjoy sharing info on this game in general. I haven't been playing long, but I studied all the maps and have a decent memory. So don't hesitate to pick my brain on where stuff is.

That static list of loot on Interloper is a pretty big help in general.

Just to clarify one thing on the ravine climb, by rest I don't mean sleep on the ledge. I meant rest for a couple minutes on the ledge to get your stamina bar filled. You should do all the resting in the cave at the bottom of the ravine and drink a coffee right before you begin the climb up the rope.

If you sleep on the actual legde there could be a bug where it won't let you select the rope from the middle.....from what I read somewhere in the forum.

So if you can't make it to the ledge after sleeping in the cave down there, quit and reload your game in the cave and try sleeping till you are fully rested.

The flare gun not only stops a bear charge, if you manage to hit the bear with a flare shell it will eventually kill the bear like shooting it. Pretty useful....

The only challenge I'm facing is cabin fever. Im at a point where I have no wood (my bad, spent a lot of time playing with the bow) and I have to spend some time outside. The fishing huts are far too cold. Is Dave's Quiet Clearing ok for cabin fever? Because I been there and it's ok temperature wise

17 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Should be.. it's certainly 'outdoors'.

Yes. I thought the lookout was outdoors too, but it isn't. I thought loading screen meant indoor, that's why I'm asking. Just to be sure.

21 minutes ago, Rada_ said:

Yes. I thought the lookout was outdoors too, but it isn't. I thought loading screen meant indoor, that's why I'm asking. Just to be sure.

Are you just going to hang out in the cave area because it's warm? I mean you don't have a bedroll right? So you have to just stay awake all night?

If so I have climbed over the south wall before into the bunny clearing south of there (the camp office would be north of you). I don't think there are any wolves up there over the wall, just bunnies. There is a chance for a couple saplings too...in the event you get bored....

Might have to backtrack a bit to find a spot where you can get up and over, but I definitely remember figuring a way over a snowy part of the wall. There's trees and sticks up over there too.  

If you can see you can practice throwing rocks at bunnies too, lol.

50 minutes ago, Rada_ said:

Yes, but Dave's Quiet Clearing is just a location.. not a structure. It's basically a rock overhang.. not even a cave.

1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

Are you just going to hang out in the cave area because it's warm? I mean you don't have a bedroll right? So you have to just stay awake all night?

If so I have climbed over the south wall before into the bunny clearing south of there (the camp office would be north of you). I don't think there are any wolves up there over the wall, just bunnies. There is a chance for a couple saplings too...in the event you get bored....

Might have to backtrack a bit to find a spot where you can get up and over, but I definitely remember figuring a way over a snowy part of the wall. There's trees and sticks up over there too.  

If you can see you can practice throwing rocks at bunnies too, lol.

The thing is I don't have any firewood. I don't need any food right now as I got two deer already. So fishing is not an option (even if I needed to fish, I don't have any firewood AT ALL)

1 hour ago, Rada_ said:

The thing is I don't have any firewood. I don't need any food right now as I got two deer already. So fishing is not an option (even if I needed to fish, I don't have any firewood AT ALL)

Well like I said if you are in that cave you mentioned, if you climb up over the south wall into the bunny clearing there are sometimes some saplings, but there are trees too I thought. Where there are trees there are usually sticks, branches, shrubbery, and the like for fires...

11 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Well like I said if you are in that cave you mentioned, if you climb up over the south wall into the bunny clearing there are sometimes some saplings, but there are trees too I thought. Where there are trees there are usually sticks, branches, shrubbery, and the like for fires...

Ok. I'll give it a try today. I've been playing a stalker run and that thing mixed up everything. Plus I can't stop the urge to hunt with the bow.

Archived