Story Mode Episode Flow

EricTheGreat12

I am quite excited for next month :)

But I'm curious as to how the story will go; not in the sense of survival, but how making decisions will impact the entire game. I've just playing an amazing game in Life is Strange in which most actions have consequences till the very last ending, and was wondering if the Long Dark would function in the same manner ?

Example: If you pass by a NPC who would then give you a quest to complete, could you instead move on and ignore him or perhaps even kill them and take their loot ?

38 minutes ago, selfless said:

I will be shocked if you ever get to choose to attack even one person in this game.  They have so far displayed no talent or artistic merit for such an act.

You mean graphic wise ? I guess they also have to figure out how to move NPCs outside of quick time events first before anything. 

Either way this is a survival game and people will die ...

The first thing I'm going to do after I've finished the first episodes 'properly' is to see if I can lure a bear or a pack of wolves towards some of the NPCs to see what happens.

Maybe I'll even do it during my 'proper' playthrough, on second thoughts! Since it's meant to be all about moral choices and whatnot. It'd be a shame if it disallowed us from being as immoral as we can, if that's what we want to do.

7 hours ago, selfless said:

I will be shocked if you ever get to choose to attack even one person in this game.  They have so far displayed no talent or artistic merit for such an act.

Maybe you missed this official teaser from Dec 2015 then. I've set it to start at the relevant part, 1 minute 12 seconds in.

20 hours ago, selfless said:

@JAFO Exactly to my point.  The best they have presented for such an act is a 2D cut-scene.  I have seen no player agency in their presentations to-date.  I expect none.

Interesting point. Handfighting wolves still is the quicktime event it was from the beginning. So what would handfighting NPCs look like? Maybe the same.

1 hour ago, Hotzn said:

Interesting point. Handfighting wolves still is the quicktime event it was from the beginning. So what would handfighting NPCs look like? Maybe the same.

Long Dark video showcasing NPC hand-fighting and weapon selection, yesterday. Finally a new use for towels other than harvesting for cloth. 

I feel like I'm still in the dark about gameplay, new tools, new foods, new animals, new clothes etc. Three weeks to release and still no gameplay except the video shared a year ago which shows a little bit about it. They promised 6-10 hours of gameplay within the first two episodes, why not show 5 minutes of it before the release? I mean who is the bearded man, who is the blindfolded lady with a rifle or the girl in the server room? They don't want to share details because there aren't many interactable NPCs or is there something else?

Where will we start the game? Will there be main quests or will we take them as we bumped into some people and talked to them about the difficulties of living in a world like this? Will there be cutscenes or just 3D interactions with NPCs? Will dialogs be like in a Telltale Game? If yes, will there be any specific consequences of our actions? And what about dying in the story mode, we all know the save system in the game. 

I would like to know more about a game I've been playing for a long time now. Any useful information would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I feel like I'm still in the dark about gameplay, new tools, new foods, new animals, new clothes etc. Three weeks to release and still no gameplay except the video shared a year ago which shows a little bit about it. They promised 6-10 hours of gameplay within the first two episodes, why not show 5 minutes of it before the release? I mean who is the bearded man, who is the blindfolded lady with a rifle or the girl in the server room? They don't want to share details because there aren't many interactable NPCs or is there something else?

In a blog post last year they mentioned the old- bearded man's name and stated that they would have more info before launch. Alas, we are all still waiting....

I wouldn't worry about it that much though. Sandbox was shown me that Hinterland knows what they're doing and that Story Mode will be satisfying and pleasant for the player. 

6 hours ago, Nervous Pete said:

Long Dark video showcasing NPC hand-fighting and weapon selection, yesterday. Finally a new use for towels other than harvesting for cloth. 

Ohne sometimes tends to forget how funny Leslie Nielsen was... thanks for the reminder. :)

On 7/7/2017 at 1:31 PM, selfless said:

I agree. I would believe the only way to kill an npc in the game would to make certain choices leading to their death. (i.e. choosing not to ration food, ultimately ending in their starvation.) The game is said to deal with moral issues of this sort, so I'm interested in seeing how Hinterland handles this.

Honestly I don't know what to expect out of Story Mode. I believe that whatever happens will make me happy. I know that Story Mode won't be extremely linear, because that would be extremely disappointing for having to wait 3 years. I also know that it won't be extremely open world oriented like Skyrim or Assasins Creed because that was the original plan according to Raph's post about a year ago that had to be drastically changed because he knew that that was not what we wanted as a community. I know I'm not big into running around like a chicken with my head cut off taking on simple missions from staticky NPCs. It has to be somewhere in the middle ground which, as far as my knowledge extends, is completely unique. And that wouldn't surprise me, knowing that this game in and of itself is a unique experience. 

I believe that Wintermute will please most of even the skeptics out there.

I'm just excited ❤ 

eagerly awaiting the surprises that hinterland has in store for us!!

this game, seriously, provided the escape I so desperately needed at the most difficult time possible, I know patience will be rewarded! 

Thank you devlopers, you are greatly appreciated for your hard work and dedication.

Archived