Making the game harder with one more autosave

Rada_

Currently playing interloper. I went to Desolation Point to make the tools when a wolf spotted me. I instantly paused and quitted the game.

I hate the fact that I can do that. My fear of losing the run is bigger than the run itself. Instead of fixing what I messed up in the first place, I get to relive the same situation and make a better decision (or even worst, try nonstop until I get past the wolf unnoticed).

Now I hate this run. :$

I'm not blaming anybody but me, I just want to know what you guys think.

3 minutes ago, Rada_ said:

I just want to know what you guys think.

I don't think that it should be another autosave moment..  otherwise, where do we draw the line? Should every potential bad decision get locked in?

This is just one of those self-control moments, that ought to be left to the individual to decide what they want to do.

There is a flipside to a 'save on exit' though it that it's often hard to remember what you were wanting to do, or where you were wanting to go next. It often takes a while to survey your equipment and other items to remind yourself of your own plans.

What if you were trekking somewhere far off in pretty bad weather, but hard to quit out before reaching that destination due to lack of time or other unforeseen circumstances. Now, when you return to the game, you are stuck outside in a blizzard, maybe in a less familiar area, trying to remember where you were headed and what you wanted to do... Other than upon injury, the player currently has control over when and where they choose to save their progress.

I think I prefer the current saving system. Sure, you can quit out upon spotting an angered wolf, but it is your choice to do so. Possibly even knowing that it might set you back a good amount of travelling or work between that point and the last save... I prefer having choices.

The current system also allows me to use a current saved run to quickly test something, or grab a screenshot. If I avoid injury and don't reenter a building or sleep, I can safely quit out from my brief test and continue my run as normal next time I want to play.

34 minutes ago, Miniwizard said:

There is a flipside to a 'save on exit' though it that it's often hard to remember what you were wanting to do, or where you were wanting to go next. It often takes a while to survey your equipment and other items to remind yourself of your own plans.

What if you were trekking somewhere far off in pretty bad weather, but hard to quit out before reaching that destination due to lack of time or other unforeseen circumstances. Now, when you return to the game, you are stuck outside in a blizzard, maybe in a less familiar area, trying to remember where you were headed and what you wanted to do... Other than upon injury, the player currently has control over when and where they choose to save their progress.

I think I prefer the current saving system. Sure, you can quit out upon spotting an angered wolf, but it is your choice to do so. Possibly even knowing that it might set you back a good amount of travelling or work between that point and the last save... I prefer having choices.

The current system also allows me to use a current saved run to quickly test something, or grab a screenshot. If I avoid injury and don't reenter a building or sleep, I can safely quit out from my brief test and continue my run as normal next time I want to play.

I never suggested autosave when quit, only when spotted by a wolf. Also, you can get another autosave if you start losing condition due to cold (I think)

31 minutes ago, Carbon said:

While I completely understand and empathize with you, if you don't want to do it...well, don't. :) Easier said than done I know, but yeah...just suck it up I guess and keep away from that Esc key!

Yup, I know. Thanks for understanding. 

21 minutes ago, Rada_ said:

I never suggested autosave when quit, only when spotted by a wolf. Also, you can get another autosave if you start losing condition due to cold (I think)

Oh, my mistake. Wasn't quite sure when you were suggesting the autosave should be, so a wrong guess on my part. However, the rest of my reasons remain true to either case.

I call this this the "nightmare" because usually, the last save point was when you woke up. That whole day was just a dream.

I use it for a lot of testing of new mechanics. Like when they put in "brandishing" (ugh) the only way I ever even somewhat managed to figure out what to do was replay the same wolf encounter over and over. You get right up to the point where the wolf is about to jump to hit ESC/quit and retry. 

I also use this for target practice, particularly when they added the bow.You can set up a game save situation with a target right outside of a door. Take a shot, quit, reload, take the same shot again, etc. over and over. It took me dozens of tries before I could get anywhere close to hitting anything with the bow, or even understand what I was doing wrong. I think they may have made the bow easier now, it seemed a lot easier this time. Still, I feel like if the issue is a game mechanic/control issue, I have no problem practicing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived