First game I ever managed to do this

vimrich

I'm not a big achievement hunter in Steam games. I've never come close to getting them all in any other game. But I noticed the other day I was down to one so I went for it. Also, it gave me a reason to focus on the forge to get those arrowheads. Almost 3am and I got it. Thanks for a great game Hinterland!

595c8815a679c_allachievements.PNG.eebb4ab26b493090b919b202d0ab40e6.PNG

Congrats and welcome to the 1% club :D

Although I hope they will introduce more achievements with the final release, some story based but also for challenges done. There should be an achievement for every challenge, maybe also when you've done all the callenges and some for completing a challenge within a given time.

@vimrich Congrats! I must say add, that the challenges are another thing I like about TLD. They are not challenges that force pointless replay using a bizarre playstyle or fulfulling some fruitless task hundreds of times for no reason other than an achievement. All the achievements are likely to eventually be completed from regular and careful playthroughs once you become adept enough at the game. (e.g. Become afflicted with every condition simultaneously: cabin fever, hypothermia, parasites....)

11 hours ago, Miniwizard said:

@vimrich Congrats! I must say add, that the challenges are another thing I like about TLD. They are not challenges that force pointless replay using a bizarre playstyle or fulfulling some fruitless task hundreds of times for no reason other than an achievement. All the achievements are likely to eventually be completed from regular and careful playthroughs once you become adept enough at the game. (e.g. Become afflicted with every condition simultaneously: cabin fever, hypothermia, parasites....)

Thanks everyone! 

Also I just did "The Hunted Part 1" and wow, was that fun!  I am now also irrationally and permanently terrified of bears. Every strange noise I hear in the game I now think, "wait, was that a bear coming up from behind?!" 

3 hours ago, vimrich said:

Thanks everyone! 

Also I just did "The Hunted Part 1" and wow, was that fun!  I am now also irrationally and permanently terrified of bears. Every strange noise I hear in the game I now think, "wait, was that a bear coming up from behind?!" 

Hear of the game Firewatch? Actually has a lot of the same graphics styling, which was a factor that helped The Long Dark catch my eye.  Firewatch is a lot more benign, but that didn't stop me from getting my hackles up whenever I heard a twig snap.

But since I've been playing TLD, my evil side has been thinking how hilarious it would be to get someone who knows Firewatch, introduce them to The Long Dark, but convincing them TLD is just as quiet and safe as Firewatch.  Then howl in laughter as the poor sod gets scared out of their pants when they encounter a wolf or, even better, a bear.

It might even play out much like this, reaction-wise: 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/92102322

On subject, I don't pursue the achievements actively myself, but I'd be lying if I don't feel a certain giddiness when I do get one.  The best one I got so far was Night Walker, surviving an entire night outside to dawn.  That one was harrowing, as it was also during a snowstorm.  I had to sleep a couple of hours, then go out to find more wood, which were just sticks near my location, then get back to the fire in time to feed it some more so I could sleep a couple more hours.  There was one time I had just a minute or less left of fire because the dang wind had shifted and I almost got lost one time.  This was on Voyageur to boot, not Pilgrim.

I discovered in a later playthrough that the area I was stuck in for that night had a chance of a bear spawning.  Fate was smiling on me.

On 7/6/2017 at 2:05 AM, Samsonguy920 said:

Hear of the game Firewatch? Actually has a lot of the same graphics styling, which was a factor that helped The Long Dark catch my eye.  Firewatch is a lot more benign, but that didn't stop me from getting my hackles up whenever I heard a twig snap.

Yes. I have Firewatch. I haven't finished it yet so thanks for no spoilers.  

9 hours ago, Hotzn said:

There should be an achievement for surviving 100 days exclusively on the TWM map on Interloper.

That there should.. but we don't even know if it can be done, yet.. The best any Snowball has managed to date, is a hair short of 31 days.

16 hours ago, JAFO said:

That there should.. but we don't even know if it can be done, yet.. The best any Snowball has managed to date, is a hair short of 31 days.

Didn't @Ruruwawa do 130 days? I may have misunderstood that. Even so... 100 days would be that goal.

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

@Hotzn nope, I did my 130 stretch at the beach (DP) where Interloper life is super easy -- pretty much the opposite of TWM.   But I started that run on TWM with a trip to the summit (and lost it to the save change in Faithful Cartographer).

Ah, OK. I misunderstood this then. So @Drifter Manis the current King of the Mountain I suppose.

Without experience with Interloper weather and firewood availability past Day 30, I estimate that 60-100 days could be possible depending on the loot available on the map - mainly the number of matches and the condition of the firestriker in the Tail Section.

Archived