thirst in a snow storm

BlackXacto

@BlackXacto You don't need a cup or anything. It's just menu driven within the campfire/stove UI. (At the top - the water drop icon).

It will automatically appear in bottles if later dropped from your inventory. In the campfire/stove UI, you have the headers sections for fuel (adding extra fuel), food (cooking or reheating food items), and water (melting snow/boiling/purifying)

1 hour ago, BlackXacto said:

There is no way to pick up a cup, or to pick up snow to eat, I see no way to put snow in any cup or coffee pot, they are untouchable. None of the dishes are moveable, or am I missing them?

Go on YouTube and watch runs by Geltaz and/or GrayStillPlays. It's not necessary to watch videos to figure out the basics, I was just suggesting it because those two do some pretty tight runs on Interloper mode and I am sure you will learn a thing or two...

G'day and welcome to the forums, @BlackXacto!

7 hours ago, BlackXacto said:

What kind of game ...

The kind of game that really, really needs a simple manual, or basics tutorial, before it's officially released 4 weeks from now. Please take note and pass along, @Patrick Carlson. Making water and cooking is highly un-intuitive, and confuses the hell out of a lot of new players. This is the kind of "what a stupid game" thing that can cause a lot of newcomers to rage-quit and demand a refund.

@JAFO & @Patrick Carlson Indeed! Though thankfully my introduction to TLD was while browsing Twitch, so I saw others doing it first and learned before even getting the game for myself. Seeing livestreaming of it on Twitch is what actually sold me on the game. However, I can truly appreciate the confusion new players have with getting something to drink, trying to drink from waterfalls, wondering how to get water from the frozen ponds, looking for cups/pans - or wondering why the rabbit they stoned doesn't appear in the food menu of the campfire UI...

Perhaps given your short time scale, Hinterland could create an instructional 'first steps' video tutorial for social media until such time as some kind of an in-game tutorial is established.

10 minutes ago, Miniwizard said:

I can truly appreciate the confusion new players have with getting something to drink, trying to drink from waterfalls, wondering how to get water from the frozen ponds, looking for cups/pans - or wondering why the rabbit they stoned doesn't appear in the food menu of the campfire UI...

Or, as a friend of mine to whom I gifted a copy of TLD did, spending over half an hour trying to figure out how to use the pot and pan sitting on top of the stove to cook with, or melt snow with.

@BlackXacto here is a fast quickie guide:

Quick note on her guide, to cure animal hides/guts drop them on the floor INSIDE, outside does not work. Usually anything involving a loading screen/autosave is a sure thing for places to cure. Some caves are deep enough if you drop them way in the back, but not all outdoor caves work I don't think...

12 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

@BlackXacto ...Quick note on her guide, to cure animal hides/guts drop them on the floor INSIDE, outside does not work...some caves are deep enough if you drop them way in the back, but not all outdoor caves work I don't think...

I have found that most caves deep enough that there is a change is ground coloration and temp stability, dropping hide and guts will result in curing.

Watch Stacy Plays TLD on youtube. She almost dies the same way, lives on soda until she discovers it, then rants a bit about soda and now we have... Stacy's Grape Soda!

It's a great series exactly because she's not an expert. Some of the ways she dies is a must watch.

11 hours ago, vimrich said:

Watch Stacy Plays TLD on youtube.

I've never watched any of Stacy's videos, until just now.. so I started with her very first TLD video. Game version is v.127. Holy mother of god.. O.o I've never seen so many cattails in my life! There must literally be hundreds of them, in just 10 metres of river bank. 

Archived