Falling Through the World

Hi,

I came back to playing lately after a while, after the newest update. I have been noticing that once in a while I would fall through the the world while leaving a building. It started happening more and more often as time went on until now it seems like more often than not I fall through the world and end up at the safe spot when I exit a building. It is really frustrating because not only do I have to go back to the main menu and reload my game every time, but I lose any work I did while I was inside the house.

Has anyone else had this happen before, or have any idea how to help stop it from happening?

I'm definitely not so heavy I'm crashing through the rock :)

It has happened on a bunch of different buildings and in several different kinds of weather. It seems very random. It was happening most to me at the house I made my home, which is the house on the outskirts of the coastal town site in coastal highway. The one close to the water that is sometimes burned down (not the gray one that is always there).

It has happened to me in many different buildings though including trailers, not just houses. It got to the point where maybe 2/3 times I exit that house I fall through the world. It has 2 different doors one to a deck and one to some little steps to the ground. Both doors have the problem the same.

Edit to add: I restarted a couple of times and it happened in other sandboxes as well not just this one, this one has just been where the problem has gotten to be the worst. In previous ones it was happening but rare.

What happens is that when I exit the building, I fall for a few moments, and then it lands me at what I believe is that global safe spot on the train tracks by the tunnel.

I started a new sandbox since then that put me in Desolation Point, and it hasn't happened at all there. I am just getting into Coastal Highway now with that sandbox which is where the problem was happening the most before. Let me play a little more on this one to see if it starts happening again, but then either way after that I will submit the screenshots you asked for.

Thank you!

On 7/3/2017 at 10:09 AM, Patrick Carlson said:

What will help us investigate this is to submit F8 screenshots of the locations where this happens to our bug database here: https://hinterlandgames.atlassian.net/projects/TLDP/issues

We do have a system that should "teleport" you back to safety when these issues occur - is that happening?

It's definitely not location specific. I've had it happen, always on exiting - the top of DP lighthouse, the bottom of the lighthouse, Hibernia, Riken, Quonset, PV Farmstead, the train tunnel when exiting FM to ML.

I did have it happen once upon entering Quonset, but it dumped me right back into Quonset and then kicked up, for the first time ever, the false 'out of memory' save failure.

I have had this happen nearly a dozen times now. My circumstances are nearly identical to the OP, as it often happens after exiting a "safe" house or hut but has also happened exiting mines. Usually after the fade in from going through the door, I am in a bright void, but occasionally I can see world geometry receding above me, so it is definitely a fall-through. This has happened in both Coastal Highway and Pleasant Valley regions, but not in Mystery Lake (yet). It is generally intermittent but once it happens it becomes regular for that game session, requiring a restart, and always entails loss of all progress up to the first fall-through. It does not seem to be specific to any one building or mine exit, and, oddly, only happens when exiting -- entering the same building after a fall-through seems to work just fine.

In all cases, the falls ended with a crunch but no damage, at one of the map's terminal points (where you can leave the region), e.g.,  a fall-through in Pleasant Valley landed me on the cliff above the rope-climb that leads to the gorge that will take you to Timberwolf Mountain.

In one early session, after repeated falls-through the game eventually crashed. After that I always restarted after the first fall-through.

Win 10, v.426

PS. I would submit this to the Database but am having serious issues being able to (subject of another thread).

Yesterday something very similar happened to me. Now that I read about that "teleport back to safety" system, things make more sense. On pleasant valley, I went down a prepper cache I found not far from a hunters blind that is close to disagreement point, and when I came out I appeared on some kind of rock island, but it was surrounded by white void. When trying to walk my way down from it, as the screen announced trappers homestead, I started falling through the map, watching terrain and mountains over my head, to suddenly land somewhere else, in the woods, with no damage, but only to find out I was near clearcut, in mystery lake. Im on W10 and is the first time it happens to me, but I do get frequent freezes when exiting buildings that make me force-quit. In the file you can see how I got from pleasant valley directly to trappers homestead.

Edit: ok, today it happened again, I notice almost alwayas happens when exiting a interior zone while a blizzar or snowstorm is on. Unlike the other time, this time I was on no island, just void and falling, I took some screenshots. This first time today I'm refering to, was also in pleasant valley, , while exiting a cabin, i fell through the floor and landed, this time, at the start of the map pleaseant valley when coming from timberwolf mountain. About 10 minutes after, it happened again, another cabin, another blizzard, and landed at the same point (at least not trappers homestead like the last time. Well, I also found out that I lost a rifle the other day when it happened the first time. I was planning on doing some exploring on timberwolf and coming back, so on my way from pleasant valley I dropped my rifle in some of the containers of the cabins, to avoid being encumbered and climb the rope, I would get it on my way back to the farmhouse. The thing is I got teleported to trappers homestead, as I already told, and now some of those locations, or better, it's conntainers are like brand new, do not show as searched, even if I was there, and my rifle was gone (one fo them).

Anyways, none of this matters, hinterland, because your annoying bug came back again for me later, third time in a playing session, and even put in the middle of nowhere at -49º and zero visibility, night bllizzard, very nice to get teleported. So my 120 days or so savefile is now dead. And playing this game it's starting to lose it's fun. Please, find a fix for your corrupted saving system!

20170717015316_1.jpg

20170718230937_1.jpg

20170718231300_1.jpg

Archived