Clunking and clanking

Miniwizard

Was it the last update (faithful cartographer) that changed the character's walking sounds? The constant clanking noises while walking and much louder and seem to make me sound like I have pots and pans hanging from all sides of my backpack. Even when trying to sneak.

The crunching of the snow and sound of breathing is great, but even without carrying any tools or weapons, there is a constant and rather annoying clanking sound to any movement.

Again, is it just me? Or have others noticed? Do you think it's better or a bit over the top now?

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Miniwizard said:

Was it the last update (faithful cartographer) that changed the character's walking sounds?

Yes, it was mentioned in the test-build update notes at some point, that many of the sound effects had been overhauled, and some were re-recorded.

13 hours ago, Miniwizard said:

Do you think it's better or a bit over the top now?

It's a bit over the top. As you said, even when sneaking, you sound like a tinker jogging.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the clanking even changes depending on what you are carrying. Lots of sticks sounds like drum sticks clicking together. Lots of jerry cans and there is the sound of gasoline sloshing around in a metal gas can. The lantern is the most annoying, the lantern often makes the pots and pans clanking sound which is the hardest to hear over and sometimes it confuses me that maybe a dog barked....especially if my stomach is growling on top of it...

What I noticed....

• Upvote 1

While some aspects of the combined sound somewhat reflects what I am carrying, I don't have tin cups and cowbells hanging off my bag. I guess the volume doesn't bother me as much as the number of layers and types of sounds present while walking.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Carbon said:

While some aspects of the combined sound somewhat reflects what I am carrying, I don't have tin cups and cowbells hanging off my bag. I guess the volume doesn't bother me as much as the number of layers and types of sounds present while walking.

Rofl, true. To clarify I was agreeing with you all....it is a bit much. We need to be able to hear predators around us. We make an awful lot of noise trying to be quiet currently....

1 hour ago, Goober1221 said:

the stomach growling can be scary. Those particular sound effects could be worked on in my opinion.

It's supposed to be scary.. so it's perfect, and doesn't need working on, at all.. ;)

As far as I know, your noise level is related to how much you carry and specifically which items you carry. To be silent, dump all that loot! Carry only a half litre of water, if that. Then you can sneak. I try to suit the load to the chore at hand; hunting is one load out while wood gathering is different. Moving camp is when I carry the most but I cache food, water and wood and don't carry much when moving.

• Upvote 1

Though the sound of everything I carry can admittedly be annoying at times, I think it really adds to the realism and atmosphere.
I mean...when I'm out in the woods hiking in real life, I really can hear every little sound I make, so it seems like the sounds are amplified.

And in game, this normally means that unless I am moving from one zone to another (e.g. really loaded down), I really am carrying as little as possible so I make less noise ;)

It is pretty realistic, actually. You only get that annoying clunking if you carry too much metal items on yourself. A single hatchet, knife, rifle and one lantern shouldn't be a problem, but if you have a giant jerry can or some scrap metal in your inventory on top of it, you will get that sound.

I like it. I know it's annoying but there is a simple fix to that - don't carry too much junk around. I like the immersion it creates, though I guess some people might find it to be more of an annoyance rather than the immersive element.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Agreed. I just got into the game after not playing it for months and the first step I took threw me off guard. It's incredibly over the top. I can hardly hear my environment and surroundings over it, not to mention it's incredibly repetitive and annoying. That's just from what you start with in Survival mode! Let alone when I actually start to carry loot!

Edited by The Jesteress

29 minutes ago, ErPanfi said:

Rebooting the game after quite a long hiatus, and I'm surprised by the new features.

Just asking: has the blizzard noise been reduced, or my sandbox just glitched? 😕

It's just been patched, apparently.  (was glitched)

Footsteps are too loud for me, waterfalls.. (might also need a tweak)

I loaded up on water a few days ago, and as i was walking the water movement was overwhelming. once i dropped it, the storm lantern clanking took over. So that makes me think that the heavier weighted gear/food take over the sounds. 

I'm going to be coming down timberwolf mountain with 39lbs of gear (knives, storm lanterns, ammo, food, etc.) I'll let you know how it sounds 😂

Edited by SirSharper
spelling