What's your current problem in TLD?

Kazook

My current problem is that I want to leave Trapper's Cabin soon and go exploring but the weather has been bad for the past 3 days and I don't have enough warm clothing (+4C only) to stay outside past 20 minutes. I have enough rabbit pelts to make mittens but I don't have any scrap metal for the fishing tackle. The only thing I can break down for scrap metal is my hunting rifle and the rifle is too valuable for that lol. 

I have 4 rabbit snares (and lots of guts drying so I can make more) so I can definitely live here for a while but I want to explore the map and loot. My hatchet is below 50% (and I use it a lot) so I either need to find a new hatchet or find a whetstone. I also want to find some scrap metal so I can start crafting clothing/fishing tackle. I also want to find some rifle ammunition because I ran out (only found 3 in the cabin). 

Basically, I need to go exploring for more stuff but I can't go because it's too cold to so I need to craft clothing but I can't craft clothing without additional stuff which I can't find unless I have the clothing to go exploring. I'm waiting for my burn to heal and then I might just say fuck it and go. 

So, what's the current hump you're trying to get over in your game? 

21 minutes ago, Kazook said:

Basically, I need to go exploring for more stuff but I can't go because it's too cold to so I need to craft clothing but I can't craft clothing without additional stuff which I can't find unless I have the clothing to go exploring. I'm waiting for my burn to heal and then I might just say fuck it and go. 

Don't forget you could use a flare or lantern etc while making a run for somewhere like Camp Office to gain some additional heat on the journey. I think that gives about a +4 bonus to a current feels like temperature.

For scrap metal you will probably need to hit the hydro dam, but I'd recommend first hitting up Camp office and the fishing homes around the lake for chances of some additional clothing. Might even find another hatchet outside one of those huts lying in the snow or a whetstone at Camp Office,

In my primary Stalker game, boredom. :P

Prior to the update I had a 387 day run deleted and I'm trying to better that and grind out all of the feats. I am currently at day 80-something with 100% of the maps explored, holed up in the Lonely Lighthouse to be near the forge, loads of resources and am just into a routine. I make runs back to other areas for various supplies, but with all major clothing items crafted twice (2 wolf skin coats, deer skin boots/2 pants, rabbit skin mittens, bearskin bedroll) I am plenty warm enough when I go.

So, yeah. However, I have been in many, many tough spots along the way as the OP currently is; that's the game! :)

Time to move up to Interloper I suppose, but that's a bit brutal for me. I'd rather start a new game out of eventual boredom than be killed off repeatedly.

6 hours ago, Miniwizard said:

Don't forget you could use a flare or lantern etc while making a run for somewhere like Camp Office to gain some additional heat on the journey. I think that gives about a +4 bonus to a current feels like temperature.

For scrap metal you will probably need to hit the hydro dam, but I'd recommend first hitting up Camp office and the fishing homes around the lake for chances of some additional clothing. Might even find another hatchet outside one of those huts lying in the snow or a whetstone at Camp Office,

Unfortunately, the weather has mostly been -15C to -25C in the daytime so even the flare won't help much. It does get better during the end of the day but then that doesn't leave me with enough time before night falls to go somewhere. During one of my games, I made it to the rail tracks past the Deadfall Area so my plan is to follow the tracks until I find shelter (I'm new to the game and haven't discovered where the Camp Office or fishing huts are. But please, no need to tell me, I would like to risk trying to find it on my own since that's the point of the game :). )  Currently, it is -5C (!!) but it's snowing and it's going to be dark soon. I probably would be freezing and wet by the time I make it to the railroad tracks. Ah, maybe tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, Ahatch said:

My problem I'm at 25 days on Forlorn Muskeg with one arrow and a cave full of birch saplings that are likely cured with 2 wolves guarding it. A handful of cat tails my food and 80% condition :)

I hate wolves! I accidentally stumbled upon Forlorn Muskeg when I left Trapper's Cabin in another game (thought I could use the railroad tunnel as a shelter but it led to Forlorn Muskeg). I was freezing and I thought yes! when I saw the train carts but then the wolves killed me in front of Poacher's Camp lol. 

Can you kill a deer with one arrow? Or just enough to wound it? The arrow is reusable though (if it doesn't break?) so maybe you can kill a few rabbits too. But that won't last you the few days it'll take to cure another batch of birch saplings. You can always try stoning rabbits lol. Good luck, man. But if you can make it through 25 days in Forlorn Muskeg, that's pretty good. 

4 hours ago, Carbon said:

In my primary Stalker game, boredom. :P

Prior to the update I had a 387 day run deleted and I'm trying to better that and grind out all of the feats. I am currently at day 80-something with 100% of the maps explored, holed up in the Lonely Lighthouse to be near the forge, loads of resources and am just into a routine. I make runs back to other areas for various supplies, but with all major clothing items crafted twice (2 wolf skin coats, deer skin boots/2 pants, rabbit skin mittens, bearskin bedroll) I am plenty warm enough when I go.

So, yeah. However, I have been in many, many tough spots along the way as the OP currently is; that's the game! :)

Time to move up to Interloper I suppose, but that's a bit brutal for me. I'd rather start a new game out of eventual boredom than be killed off repeatedly.

Ah, I understand what you mean, especially the routine part, even though I'm definitely not as well stocked as you are. My routine is wake up early, check snares, harvest rabbits, check snares again (my snares catch rabbits at different times), harvest rabbits again, cook a batch of meat and water, be bored, go chop some wood if weather permits, go to sleep. I can definitely survive here but I'm bored with my routine. 

Your situation is super impressive to a newbie like me lol but I can see why you'll be bored. 2 episodes of story mode are coming out on August 1st though!

If you go completly naked in a blizzard from Trapper's to Camp Office, you will lose less than 10% condition. Sleep 1h to warm up and than go to the dam or lake cabins (wherever you want)

If you go in the afternoon and right before you go you drink something warm and take a torch, you will not lose any condition.

I don't understand the problem.

There's one cabin due north of the trapper's hut, but it's wayyyy north and if you veer off course you could miss it. On the way you might see the small frozen lake with a hunters blind and a few goodies. Lots of shrooms and cattails around there I think. From the lake if you look north/northeast and upwards you will see the forest lookout tower. Long winding path to get up there and it can be cold inside too, due to it having a lot of windows and being so high up, but the lake, the tower, and that lonely cabin due north of you may have the items you need to save your life....

Sorry if that spoiled anything for you, I didn't reveal the location of the main camp office, but I gave you a couple closer options...

Bollox, I was watching a movie and for some reason I was picturing the map in my head and I realized you have no point of reference and no map and have no idea which way is which. So I will give you a hint.

Get a piece of paper. Draw a box or a square representing a map, where up on the map is north, etc.

Put a house in the far bottom left corner, that's you. You are on the far SW corner of the map. The train cars you found by the exit to Forlorn Muskeg those are east of you about halfway across the totality of the map, on the southern edge of the map. The cabin I mentioned is due north of you but not all the way on the north west corner, more just north. The small frozen lake with the hunter's blind is a little more than half way north of you on the way to the cabin. The frozen stream from the lake goes slightly to the northeast, but more east ways than north ways. The Tower is north of the middle of the stream and to the east of the cabin in the north.

That's what it looks like in my head at least. Again I'm not trying to destroy your fun, or sense of discovery. There is still a ton to discover on that map, and all the other maps. I just gave you a starting point for a vague idea of where you are and a sense of the general size of what you are dealing with.

7 hours ago, JAFO said:

It might be a good idea to put all that in spoiler tags, just in case Kazook doesn't want to read even hints..

I never learned how you do that text blackout spoiler thingie that forum adept people use...I wish I knew how. I would go back and edit it out as you suggested.

That being said, he posted that days ago, and if he plays as much as I do, it is doubtful he is still even at Mystery Lake, lol...

Feeling anxious about going out into a storm is natural.  I've felt rather penned up myself now and then.

If your supplies are getting low, the best thing to do is just go for a hail mary run and try for the next shelter as best as you can.

Probably the worst thing I have dealt with was being in bad shape, and then I got food poisoning. Fortunately, I had antibiotics, but they alone of all the medicines actually take time to work. So I had to endure going to sleep with the chance of not waking up.  Fortunately, I did wake up, but it was rather harrowing.

My current issue....not really a problem per se....is despite me looting all the good spots in Forlorn Muskeg and Mystery Lake, I have not yet found snow pants, an expidition parka, or wool underpants. I found on pair of mountaineer socks though and Mukluks(sp?). I know it's just RNG and there are 4 more maps to search, so fingers crossed. Actually the only pants I have found so far are jeans, but I crafted one pair of deerskin and have more than enough supplies for a second pair, but they are heavy....so snow pants are superior.

My major disappointments were the safes in the dam and the farm in Forlorn. I deleted a two day playthrough where I got the expidition parka in the safe in the dam. I guess that was a poor decision, lol.

23 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

I deleted a two day playthrough where I got the expidition parka in the safe in the dam. I guess that was a poor decision, lol.

:D I bet you're kicking yourself now!

Yeah, the RNG gods in this game can be cruel at times.. you learn to roll with the punches after a while.

50 minutes ago, JAFO said:

:D I bet you're kicking yourself now!

Yeah, the RNG gods in this game can be cruel at times.. you learn to roll with the punches after a while.

Yeah....it was my first day of playing, I was trying to spawn the hunter's bunker in Mystery Lake by starting Voyager sandboxes over and over. In that one I spawned near the dam and decided to go loot it before Fluffy spawned...there's like a 12hr grace period on predators or something.

Then I headed over to the camp office to go check for the hunter bunker, it wasn't there so I deleted the game. Looking back maybe I should have kept that run lol....

25 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

Yeah....it was my first day of playing, I was trying to spawn the hunter's bunker in Mystery Lake by starting Voyager sandboxes over and over. In that one I spawned near the dam and decided to go loot it before Fluffy spawned...there's like a 12hr grace period on predators or something.

Then I headed over to the camp office to go check for the hunter bunker, it wasn't there so I deleted the game. Looking back maybe I should have kept that run lol....

I rather enjoy the occasional severely non-optimal starts (in a "Shit! Damn! You bastard!" kind of way. :D). They force you to dig deep inside yourself and push back, hard. You know you're probably screwed anyway, but just resolve to go down fighting every step of the way, and you'll surprise yourself with what you can pull off.

20 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I rather enjoy the occasional severely non-optimal starts (in a "Shit! Damn! You bastard!" kind of way. :D). They force you to dig deep inside yourself and push back, hard. You know you're probably screwed anyway, but just resolve to go down fighting every step of the way, and you'll surprise yourself with what you can pull off.

Admittedly my current voyager run, where I am over 50 days....which is also my longest run....is feeling stale and getting routine.

I think the game is most exciting when starting a new game with nothing, and seeing what you find in the beginning to stabilize your existence. It's more fun when you have nothing and you are really fighting for survival. Once you have everything you really need, you are down to just hunting for rare upgrades (like an expidition parka) and trying to not get eaten whilst doing so....

On 7/7/2017 at 9:07 PM, JoE Smash said:

Admittedly my current voyager run, where I am over 50 days....which is also my longest run....is feeling stale and getting routine.

I think the game is most exciting when starting a new game with nothing, and seeing what you find in the beginning to stabilize your existence. It's more fun when you have nothing and you are really fighting for survival. Once you have everything you really need, you are down to just hunting for rare upgrades (like an expidition parka) and trying to not get eaten whilst doing so....

Indeed.  I think most saves end because people don't want to sit in and around one base location for 100 days.  Not because they can't stretch resources to survive, but because it gets mundane once you have a stockpile of 2+ weeks of food and water and don't really need to do anything but eat / drink / sleep / gather some sticks every day for a week... 

On 7/10/2017 at 5:59 PM, Concillian said:

Indeed.  I think most saves end because people don't want to sit in and around one base location for 100 days.  Not because they can't stretch resources to survive, but because it gets mundane once you have a stockpile of 2+ weeks of food and water and don't really need to do anything but eat / drink / sleep / gather some sticks every day for a week... 

My long term goal is always to stockpile every last bit of loot or collectible into one or two "base" locations per map, or at the very least in a few caches per map.  You can keep yourself very occupied porting stuff around, then distributing items as evenly or appropriately as possible (only need a hammer near a forge) and so on.  A minimal base for me has at least 40kg of stuff, so that's several days of porting to build it up.  Ideally each base has one hunting weapon, one of each essential tools, meds, enough clothing or hides for repairs, a few liters of water, a decent emergency food, etc. I'm at day 70ish in a new run and have so far "based up" ML and CH and just started to set up shop in PV. Plus I did a fast run to DP for a few days to get arrowheads (I use the CH base for operations into DP).

Once you base-up the maps, you can travel relatively light between maps in a single day, and have room to find and bring back stuff at very low risk. Even if disaster strikes all you have to do is get to your base to be safe.  This is also why I like Voyager. You usually get enough stuff to place a decent base on each map.

I like to think I'm rebuilding civilization, even if it's just for me. :)

Archived