Backpack idea

Quarbani 79

I think that when you start the game you should have a small backpack....maybe 5 or 10kg limit or something and then as you explore the world you have a chance to find bigger packs. I also think whatever clothes you are wearing should not take up carry space in your pack. This would balance out the small pack size in the start and allow you to carry a lot more in the endgame when you find the biggest backpack. 

Your backpack isnt the limiting factor now, its the capability to carry stuff.

Backpack might help you carry like 3-5Kg more than the 30 you have now (specialy balanced/military gear) and also there could be some kind of skill that helps you with carying but the max ammount together should not exceed 35/40 Kg.

Look, I just want a way to carry more stuff, period. That's it. I don't care how. Multiple different ways are fine too. I'd really like clothes to weigh less or not count towards carry weight.

I'd love a feat to carry 5-10 more kilos based on total time spent through all play throughs carrying more than 30kilos i.e. being over encumbered, as I am often over the weight limit, hence me asking for some kind of increase.

I'd love a special or several different balanced backpacks as suggested above, like special framed hiking or mountain climbing backpacks that balance the weight better allowing you to carry another 5-10 kilos. I am assuming the initial backpack looks like the green ones we search everywhere. I'm fine with starting without a backpack even, and having to find your first one, as I already know where many are located after having searched them. Or even let us craft the better backpacks out of found backpacks/cloth/hides and reclaimed wood, or scrap metal, and cured guts.

I'd love to be able to craft a small cargo sled out of guts and wood that lets you drag another 30-40 kilos at the cost of increased drain on hunger, thirst, tiredness, and stamina while dragging it. Like another 20% decay on all your bars. Obviously you can't take it over extreme incline/declines without risk of injury or it getting away from you and crashing and needing to be repaired and loaded again. You can't climb ropes with it. It's primary use is for relocating maps. I'm not even sure you can get it across the ravine basin. You would have to unload it at the ravine and carry it across and then reload it....

Maybe you even need to find or forge a carpenter's hammer (i.e. different hammer than the heavy hammer) to be able to make one, and sometimes you get reclaimed nails while breaking apart things that give you reclaimed wood when using one. You would need like 20 nails to build one and 10 pieces of wood. Repairing it after normal wear and tear or even worse crashing it takes an increasing amount of wood and nails like fixing a snow shelter with cloth and sticks.

I've read sooooo many good arguments to somehow incerase carrying capacity. I am clearly not alone in wishing for it....

just try to imagine how dificult it would be to animate such thing as a sled going behind you. It would need its own physics, a some kind of rope you pull it, a hand animation, something that prevents it from going up steep inclines, and much more like wolf interacting with it or even it traveling with you to other location/indoors.

and just try to imagein pulling it over the broken railwaybridge between coastal highvay and mystery lake

I am afrait this isnt going to happen i dont know if it is even possible with the game engine/how the game works

17 minutes ago, FatheriatorCZ said:

just try to imagine how dificult it would be to animate such thing as a sled going behind you. It would need its own physics, a some kind of rope you pull it, a hand animation, something that prevents it from going up steep inclines, and much more like wolf interacting with it or even it traveling with you to other location/indoors.

and just try to imagein pulling it over the broken railwaybridge between coastal highvay and mystery lake

I am afrait this isnt going to happen i dont know if it is even possible with the game engine/how the game works

Yeah in the sled thread I stated as much. I figure for the ravine you'd have to unload the sled. Carry your crap across in like two trips, then pick up the sled and carry it across, then reload the damn thing. Sure it would take like 6 hours, but that's still way better than three round trips from mystery lake to the coastal highway, which would take 3-6 days depending. Which is what I'm looking at now....

As far as animating it, I don't think you would see it much. It would be behind you. I figure you'd have the gut/rope loop across your chest. It would just be a lot of huffin and puffin like when you climb a rope...

You'd see it if you went down a hill and you lost control, as it would slide past you potentially injuring you, and then you'd have to fix it and load it again. I'd avoid hills....

18 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

I've read sooooo many good arguments to somehow incerase carrying capacity. I am clearly not alone in wishing for it....

among new players you are indeed not alone, more seasoned players recognize that the hard limit is needed because TLD is about planning ahead and weighing (pun not intended) advantage vs disadvantage. You get a rifle which makes your life considerable easier but you loose 4KG of packing weight, therefore you can take less food or water with you but you will soon shoot a deer and boil some water on the fire you will make to cook the deer. You can have very warm cloths but not much room left for other stuff or very light clothes that won't protect you much from the environment. Think first what you want to do, then what you need to be able to do it and suddenly the (quite generous) weight limit of 30-40KG isn't a big issue anymore because you adjusted your gameplay.

Archived