I'm new, not even sure this is a bug, someone let me know, lol

JoE Smash

I'm not even positive it's a bug but, it seems pretty fishy for me to see four (4) wolves close together in one area in Mystery Lake on Voyager difficulty. I was 14-15 days in, got the 15 day achievement on the way back to the Camp Office after seeing the wolves. I was coming from the logging offices. 

The wolves were all near/on the train tracks near the Train Loading area, luckily I was up on a slight cliff overlooking the train tracks. It wasn't the train derailment, I passed that soon after.

If that is abnormal for Mystery Lake, I am wondering if the multi-spawn is due to the new high scent mechanic,  as I have had a full scent indicator three or 4 times so far, but not for long as I quickly dropped off the meat, guts, and hides in the Camp Office...

Maybe they are always there, but I though Mystery Lake was the "easiest map" and I am on a fairly easy difficulty. 

I mean I saw GrayStillPlays playing Interloper in Coastal Highway and there were 4 wolves relatively  close together on the ice near the garage, but he said lots of wolves near the town was normal, and he was on the insane difficulty.

Maybe have extra wolves despawn after relieving the high scent situation if that is indeed the cause....

3 in that location is typical, maybe 4 if the one roaming toward the logging trailers comes over. Thankfully there is an easy path that bypasses but runs directly parallel to the entire derailment section that will deposit you at the curve toward the dam making avoiding those wolves quite simple.

7 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

Yeah, I have figured a detour from both directions, I just didn't expect to see a four wolf wolfpack in the starting newbie zone. Ok, guess it's not a bug then, thanks for the quick reply m8!

Hi @JoE Smash and welcome to the forums. Without diving too deeply into the guts of The Long Dark, you'll see wildlife spawn behaviour change from game to game. Some patterns will start to become noticeable, but you should always be prepared for something different. Hope that helps and looking forward to seeing you around. 

(also, moving this thread out of technical issues)

Actually its one of the things I really like. It feels far more dynamic now (with the wolves at least) they seem to move around more, stick in areas for a while, and them move on again to somewhere else.

It makes the game more unpredictable, and puts less emphasis on learning specific patrol routes but encourages more attention to the environment and sounds.

However, large groups can be especially difficult to avoid - especially if they decided to encircle you in a fishing hut. Sure, you can fish, and then use the fish to drop as bait.. whilst trying to ease out of the area, however, with several wolves, the first wolf baited can already be hungry again by the time you baited others in order to escape. Not impossible - but very tricky and a bit hit or miss.

The key to this game is map mastery. Wildlife takes the flat easy paths, where you can take other trails on the sides. Also, keep going up for a view and you'll avoid surprise attacks - just don't stay up there too long on the steep slopes or you'll get sprains.

I died over and over and over wandering hopelessly until I realized the map was the same every game and started to remember how to get around safely. I kind of miss that original terror, but it's nice to be able to live long and use all the game features. 

On 6/28/2017 at 10:09 PM, JoE Smash said:

That sounds terrible! I don't want to be trapped in a darn fishing hut!

Yeah, it can be! Best tip to avoid this, is not too fish for too long at once, and drop all the fish on the ground ASAP.

Standing inside the hut, carrying loads of fresh fish gives off such a strong scent, enticing the wolves from quite a distance, and attracting any that otherwise may have simply passed by without paying you any attention.

Archived