Remove clothing you are wearing from total encumbrance

JoE Smash

I find the 30 kilos of carrying weight very frustrating for me, but this is probably because they are counting things I am wearing to my pack weight limit. 

Clothes, or armor, or equipment you are wearing seldom counts twords carrying weight because the weight is evenly distributed over your body. 

If I want to go out in The Long Dark fully dressed in clothing with my 4 kilo rifle, it means I can carry like 8 more kilos of meat. That's with leaving everything else heavy at my base....water, a lantern, a prybar, tools, fuel. I leave all that at home. I take my clothes and a gun, a hatchet, a knife, and it means I can barely carry meat and leather from one deer. Nevermind going out to loot the next big storehouse of goodies. Walking back to base I am always encumbered and tired and being chased by a wolf, lol...

Anyways, I could live with the 30 kilos, if they only counted stored extra clothes and equipment, not clothes I was wearing to even be able to go outside and not die....

If you put on 20KG of clothes in RL you will feel them too, gravity will pull everything above the waist towards your legs and your boots and pants towards the ground whenever you make a step. You'll get used to it but also don't forget that the Rifle makes your life considerably easier and there should be a price for carrying it around all the time.

Or just play Interloper, no Rifle there and the 30KG are rarely an issue ;)

One can carry much more than 30kg; up to 40 you can still run. Reduced speed and increased fatigue are very reasonable consequences.

I can't help but think that many things that come up in this 'wish list' section would essentially kill the game as we know it if implemented. :(

Whatever you are wearing should count towards the total weight carried. The only thing I would question is the actual weight of clothing hehe.

The entire contents of my wardrobe weighs less than 20kg - having fairly recently moved country and dealt with the baggage weight limits. The maximum bag sizes was more an issue than the weight of any of them! Having said that.. I certainly wouldn't want to be lugging any of those bags around with me 24-7!

Distribution of weight does not negate weight. Weight is mass (kg) multiplied with the gravitational factor (m/s^2) and the result is a force (1 unit newton) pulling downwards. Now where does this force end up? In the ground so its your feets who will carry all the weight. Therefore distribution of weight means nothing in this game. You can have all your weight in your hand or on your back but your feets will feel the same regardless.

1) in real life, you most definitely feel the weight of your clothing when it is worn. Just because it is distributed over your body and not centered in a pack doesn't mean the weight goes away. Add in the encumbrance of clothing and it can effectively limit how much you can carry.

2) The weight limit in-game is absurdly high, coming from someone with wilderness survival training. Of course, the weight of in-game items is also ridiculous in many cases, but that doesn't change the fact that my entire load in real life, clothing + equipment, runs at most 20 kilos or so.

On 6/29/2017 at 11:41 AM, Boston123 said:

1) in real life, you most definitely feel the weight of your clothing when it is worn. Just because it is distributed over your body and not centered in a pack doesn't mean the weight goes away. Add in the encumbrance of clothing and it can effectively limit how much you can carry.

2) The weight limit in-game is absurdly high, coming from someone with wilderness survival training. Of course, the weight of in-game items is also ridiculous in many cases, but that doesn't change the fact that my entire load in real life, clothing + equipment, runs at most 20 kilos or so.

Agreed.. I suspect everyone who insists they could lug 40kg around all day, has never tried doing so in snow, where the going is much harder.

Archived