Arrows Disappearing When Shooting Bunnies At An Angle

L²

I have noted an odd behavior when shooting bunnies with the bow.  If my angle is downward (not meaning super steep, just down angled) my arrow will go through the bunny and simply disappear.  This has happened enough times now for me to think it is a defect.  The screenshot attached shows where I hit the bunny.  I looking in all directions for up to 30 yards, but no arrow.

screenshot.png

I too have lost quite a few arrows shish kabobing rabbits since the new update.  Bow is so easy and accurate now its been hard to resist skewering the poor creatures that way. 

Maybe a lost arrow is an intended cost?  I think it probably it should be reported as a bug...

Indeed, when I was using bunnies as target practice, I found I very quickly lost every single arrow. Not as broken arrows, but that they simply disappeared, whether hitting or missing the rabbit in question.

Perhaps part of the difference in practicing on bunnies is that the shots are generally fired at shorter range, downwards and into snow - rather than longer range and potentially on large stretches of ice. Thus arrows get embedded or glitched somehow into the enviroment rather than bouncing and gliding off it?

8 hours ago, Miniwizard said:

Perhaps part of the difference in practicing on bunnies is that the shots are generally fired at shorter range, downwards and into snow - rather than longer range and potentially on large stretches of ice. Thus arrows get embedded or glitched somehow into the enviroment rather than bouncing and gliding off it?

This would be a big part of it, I'm guessing. Objects can easily get buried in snowbanks. Next time you're outdoors with some insignificant items in your inventory, try dropping them anywhere some snow is piled up a little. They'll partially or fully disappear under the snow. If you're lucky, mousing over them might help you find them all again.

Thanks for the feedback and confirmation y'all!  I did try a grid search moving my mouse slowly over all the area in an approximately 25 sq yard area, but no arrow.  Even came back the next day to check, but nada.  Also dropped an arrow to see if there was a natural slope that might eventually deposit an arrow elsewhere, but no luck.

I did attempt to create a defect entry in the JIRA, but I was thwarted by a bug in the bug reporting mechanism..(is that sort of like a 4th wall break in a 4th wall break?)...anyway, I reported that issue to @Mel Guille directly and am awaiting guidance.

2017-06-26_JIRA-error.PNG

Thanks for the heads-up about JIRA, @L², we'll take a look at the back end. If anyone ever finds themselves suddenly unable to submit a bug, you can also use our support email: Support@HinterlandGames.com .

About the missing arrows, there's no mechanic in place that causes them to go missing by design. We think the arrow may be bouncing strangely and landing somewhere  difficult to see, but it's something we're looking into. Thanks for the feedback!

I think somehow the object - the arrow in this case - is going under the snow texture. If one recalls the disappearing rifle after a bear or wold attack; this was the situation, that the rifle was lost under the snow, as it were. On Jackrabbit Island, at the side door of the cabin, dropping items on the small snowdrift will also see them 'buried' at times. I can't recall if they were unrecoverable, but they can disappear. Like dropping items while sitting in a car....*poof*! Gone.

On 6/27/2017 at 6:42 PM, Carbon said:

I think somehow the object - the arrow in this case - is going under the snow texture. If one recalls the disappearing rifle after a bear or wold attack; this was the situation, that the rifle was lost under the snow, as it were. On Jackrabbit Island, at the side door of the cabin, dropping items on the small snowdrift will also see them 'buried' at times. I can't recall if they were unrecoverable, but they can disappear. Like dropping items while sitting in a car....*poof*! Gone.

This actually happens as well if a bear clips through a hunter's blind and gets you. Your dropped items disappear under the blind forever.

Archived