What Faithful Cartographer Has Done For Us All

I didn't think of it, but the new map system has, inadvertently, given many of the experienced players a new challenge, one that probably won't be the easiest to accomplish.

Mapping out the entirety of the world, covering every dark spot on the map. Surviving so long, even in Voyageur, can prove to be difficult, especially when mapping out TM and FM, where there is very little shelter to rack up in in the event you suddenly find yourself in the midst of a blizzard.

I am nowhere near experienced enough to attempt this anytime in my opinion, but it might be a good challenge down the road, and I'm sure there's people who have already started working on doing this.

I kinda like the mapping because it does point out resources that are in your vicinity. It's like your brain taking note of everything, even out of the corner of your eye and then jotting it down for later.

I've gotten quite good at not getting too lost, to the point where even fog isn't completely discouraging to me. Heck, I managed to get from the rail tunnel to Forlorn Muskeg to the Camp Office in the dark and snow without one false turn.

But the map pointing out resources my eyes missed before is rather handy.

5 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Only question is "why ?".Whats the point ?

It would be another one of those things, like steam achievements, that are completely useless.

Yay, new challenge ! What does it do ? Nothing !

I'm not saying it should be an official challenge...I merely point out what the update has done.

Eh, I really can't stand mapping. It feels too much like clearing away black fog instead of actually drawing a map, which may not seem like a big issue but really turns me off towards the system in general. That, and I've been playing since 2014, so I've got the regions memorized pretty much down to the tree placements.

50 minutes ago, Willkwi said:

Eh, I really can't stand mapping. It feels too much like clearing away black fog instead of actually drawing a map, which may not seem like a big issue but really turns me off towards the system in general. That, and I've been playing since 2014, so I've got the regions memorized pretty much down to the tree placements.

Yes, you're not alone... Someone criticized it in closed alpha phase and made good recommendations with screenshots about how it could look, but unfortunately it's all gone since they deleted that subforum.

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Hackfleisch said:

I hadn't played since january so this was a new feature for me. How do you map places?

you pick up charcol from the fireplace or oven and when you are outside a building, press "M". Chose the charcol and press left mouse, area is mapped.

Btw: there's a new Steam achievement that asks you to map all named places on all maps. So the OPs wish has been granted :D But I hate this achievement already lol :S

13 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

Btw: there's a new Steam achievement that asks you to map all named places on all maps. So the OPs wish has been granted :D But I hate this achievement already lol :S

Best to do it now, then.. before more maps are added!

Archived