My console achievement suggestions/wishlist

Lefty24

Let me start by saying I've followed your game for a long time and bought it for Xbox One when it released on preview program. I appreciate the work put into it, seeing the game take shape, and am excited to play it when it releases soon.

As a console player with over 200,000 achievement score, I thought I'd suggest some achievements that would help the game find a bigger audience. These are just my suggestions, but ones that Xbox players tend to prefer. I'd break down the list into 4 categories; story, easy, medium, and hard.

30-40 percent (in terms of gamerscore and quantity of achievements) should be story.related. Granted I don't know any details of the story, but in general these should mostly consist of unmissable, story progression milestones (ie: Complete episode 1, 2, etc, Survive your encounter with the woodsman, reach the lighthouse, finish the campaign, etc). These should be obtainable by most every player, regardless of skill level.

25% of the achievements should be easily obtained with minimal skill. Survive your first night, kill your first animal, catch and cook a fish, loot 50 containers, pick up 50 sticks, read a book, successfully light your first fire, etc. Players that spend a couple of days playing should earn most of these.

30% should be medium difficulty. Things that would require learning details of the game over a period of time and continued play and requiring a fair amount of effort. Hunt/kill every animal, catch all types of fish, craft 50 items, find and use all the tools/weapons, discover all locations, sleep a total of 200 hours, survive 50 consecutive days, traverse 250 mi/km, etc.

Finally, 10-15% should be hard achievements but obtainable for dedicated players who invest a reasonable amount of time. Complete all 5 challenges, survive 250 days total (not cumulative), kill 10 bears, survive 25 days without killing an animal, cure every affliction, survive 15 wolf attacks, increase all skill attributes to level 5. These should be challenging, requiring advanced skills, but not overly "grindy." By grindy, I mean things like; kill 1000 animals, survive 200 consecutive days. After 50-60 days, players will or should have most of the resources they need to survive, but are just waiting out the other 150 days for the achievement. 

Mostly, your hardcore players won't mind grindy achievements because they're already huge fans and players of the game. They'll eventually earn off the the difficult achievement over time. My suggestions are for the casual player, or those interested in playing but fear being turned off by a poor achievement list. 

As a member of several community achievement websites, I'm often frustrated hearing people say, "it looks like a fun/good game, but I'll never buy or play it because of the poor achievement list. I don't want be forced to kill 10,000 players, win 2500 matches, get 1000 kills with every weapon."

I've played my share of grindy games, and upon reaching end they just aren't fun any more. By no means am I suggesting that every player should unlock every achievement, but about a 15-20% completion rate would be fair.

Again, there are just my suggestions. Thanks for reading, and I'll see you in the wilderness soon!

Archived