Wake up player if a certain amount of "discomfort" is hit while sleeping

realadamsinger

I don't mind deaths in the game when they feel valid, but it is frustrating to die while sleeping because your character refuses to wake up. One would expect to wake up if a certain amount of discomfort is experienced during sleep.

My suggestion is to simply wake the player if the equivalent of 25% from the total available condition is lost in a single sleep.. or at the very least, wake up when the 15% condition remaining is hit.

This makes a certain degree of sense and would certainly help us out from a gameplay perspective --- particularly in terms of hunger and thirst.  But, in the devs' defence, going to sleep in poor weather conditions is generally how people freeze to death.

Not to sound callous, but dying in your in-game sleep is likely indicative of a bad decision. Sleeping for too long a stretch in a risky place, not drinking before sleep with already low condition, sleeping in wet clothes with low temps, injured, blood loss...any number of reasons but I think they would all stem back to an error or mistake made by the player. :(

I thought it was impossible for a person to die from cold, hunger, or thirst while sleeping (I mean without waking up before). However, apparently, if you develop hypothermia you feel drowsy and really sleep to death. From hunger and/or thirst although I still doubt one can die without waking up.
Anyhow, what I do in the game every night is to check my condition, eat/drink as necessary, sleep for around 5 hours, check my condition, eat/drink as necessary, sleep for the remaining hours. Up to now, I never died during sleep doing this (although I once died from hypothermia because I kept fishing for too long :$).

Archived