Faithful Cartograhper update playability

Thelek

I have been away from TLD for a while checking out some new games when i heard about the Faithful Cartographer update. i was so excited that i dropped everything else i was doing and went straight to TLD and started a new game ready to bury myself in a brand new adventure. imagine my extreme disappointment when i discovered that the game is 100% unplayable for me now. the new UI is all but invisable to me. i have been saying all through the game development that white is not a good color to use for the UI since 90% of the game takes place in the snow. now to be fair, i am somewhat visually impaired, but even so, i think even a person with perfect eyesight would have issues with this UI. 

The Long Dark is one of my favorite games and i have greatly enjoyed being a part of is's development. it would make quite unhappy if that after all this time i would miss out on enjoying the finnished product.

btw: i play TLD on XB1

I play on XBox, I've put at least 30 hours into the game since the update and haven't found it "unplayable" in the slightest.... well occasionally I might have to look up at the sky when I check my status under certain 'bright snow' conditions. Other than that, no problems at all.

Other people have mentioned the white UI though so maybe it's an issue to be looked into.

well, as i mentioned, i am somewhat visually impaired. (20/60 in both eyes with lenses), so i have a bit of trouble seeing a white UI against a white background even 2 feet away from a 42 inch tv. the UI really needs to contrast against the enviroment. not black, because then the UI would be lost when indoors. maybe a light to medium gray or a bright yellow or green. something that would be visable in most areas.

On 25.6.2017 at 5:40 PM, Dirmagnos said:

It seems that a lot of players, including me, have some serious issues with new UI in general.

While some parts of it look interesting(not to confuse with "better"), to the most part it got a lot worse.

That's true, but to my understanding this is a different controversy. If the game was to cater for players with sight impediments, maybe the UI would have to vary color according to its background. Against a dark background white and vice versa. The question how much programming effort this would be for how many players. And whether the result would look good to the other players...

8 hours ago, Hotzn said:

If the game was to cater for players with sight impediments, maybe the UI would have to vary color according to its background. Against a dark background white and vice versa. The question how much programming effort this would be for how many players. And whether the result would look good to the other players...

When it was pointed out how hard it was to see the white "aiming dot" against the snow, Hinterland put a thin black border around it to help it stand out better. It wouldn't be that hard to do the same for the white icons on the screen, surely.

Archived