Our Vacation Bible School Set has a "Trappers Cabin"!

I was charged with helping to erect and paint a pre-conceptualized set for our Vacation Bible School this year. Set in the Arctic, specifically the back-country of Alaska the idea was to make the kids feel as if they were sitting in a clearing in the midst of snowfall. That worked out as well really well. Our set has trees for a forest, soaring mountains, hanging clouds, and an arctic ocean that I built and conceptualized and realized from scratch with help from a dedicated team of artists. but center stage is what I call our Trappers Cabin where most of the drama skits will be performed. Here is a shot of the full room...followed by specific shots of the cabin!

DSC02066.JPG

DSC02064.JPG

DSC02074.JPG

DSC02061.JPG

DSC02067.JPG

DSC02069.JPG

DSC02077.JPG

Thanks Mel it was and always is a true team effort.

We completed the whole sanctuary in 13 Days, one day faster then last years.

In essence the entire sanctuary is our main set. The stage was essentially done in 11 days. I and my eager helpers went from concept to completion on the Arctic Ocean in  about 4 days. We were constantly improving the set and adding elements right up until the fire in the fireplace last night. And yes it is a working cardboard fireplace. :D

The first wolf is to the left of the stage under the TV in front of the tree behind my pastor just behind the rope to keep the kids off the stage.

The second wolf is howling at the far right of the glacier just to the left of the cabin.

I will take some close ups of the wildlife tomorrow so you can see the detail and artistry our talented team brings to even the smallest animals.

DSC01981.JPG

DSC02061.JPG

3 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Wow, that is awesome Ross! Are you a very talented carpenter or something?

No mostly just an artist and writer. I help conceptualize and populate the sets...and other's put the framework together and the whole team paints and crafts the living daylights out of it.

I'm already planning next years set...and we just finished yesterday.

The set in action:

DSC03333.JPG

DSC03157.JPG

DSC03295.JPG

DSC03299.JPG

Archived