Interloper Help

continuity

Ok guys i'm struggling with Interloper.  I like the game mode but i'm just not surviving past 2 days (on about 7th attempt now).  The main problem is clothing, for example I just spawned in desolation point, wearing just a t-shirt, I've looted the whole map (except the cave) and all the clothing I've found is 2 tuques.  

I found matches and i've already made like 5 fires to warm up, and am desperately scrabbling around for fuel with no hatchet or other tools.  And this is where it usually goes from bad to worse, moving to the next zone, this is usually when I die.

So, what are the survival strategies i'm missing? or are some (many?) starts in interloper just not viable and doomed to fail?

You will lose health to the cold in Interloper.  It's unavoidable.  Good news is even when your feels-like is -80C you still only lose condition at 20% per hour.  Just don't stay out so long.  Also, spend the time to warm up again when you find a spot.  Napping is good, since you should be sprinting a lot to avoid time spent freezing.  Travel light and in short steps with warming breaks in between.

2 hours ago, selfless said:

You will lose health to the cold in Interloper.  It's unavoidable.  Good news is even when your feels-like is -80C you still only lose condition at 20% per hour.  Just don't stay out so long.  Also, spend the time to warm up again when you find a spot.  Napping is good, since you should be sprinting a lot to avoid time spent freezing.  Travel light and in short steps with warming breaks in between.

ok this is more or less what i'm doing, although probably inexpertly.   But how do I progress? how do I get from barely surviving building to building to having a stable survival routine?  I'm just not finding clothes or tools.  So without clothes or tools how do I survive the first 5, or 10 days? should I be moving region to region? if so how quickly? or is there some way I can settle and survive in my starting region, even if there is no loot to speak of?

Fishing.

It used to be you would have to build a fire next to a ravaged deer carcass or get fancy with stealing wolf kills to get your hands on some guts but things have gotten even easier now.  Just brain a rabbit and rip out its intestines. Scrounge up some metal scrap and you're in the fishing business.  You'll want to stockpile some wood while they cure.  You'll be knee deep in protein before you know it.

On 6/23/2017 at 8:57 AM, continuity said:

should I be moving region to region? if so how quickly? or is there some way I can settle and survive in my starting region, even if there is no loot to speak of?

Whilst I've yet to test myself against Interloper, from the playthroughs I've watched, you should not even think of trying to settle in one place until you've gotten yourself well equipped. A nomadic lifestyle is pretty much essential until you have good (which is to say, crafted) clothing and equipment.

47 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Whilst I've yet to test myself against Interloper, from the playthroughs I've watched, you should not even think of trying to settle in one place until you've gotten yourself well equipped. A nomadic lifestyle is pretty much essential until you have good (which is to say, crafted) clothing and equipment.

I'm still pretty much not making day 3.  something always gets me, usually the cold or a wolf but last time it was actually food poisoning.  the only food item I found gave me food poisoning. >.<

• 3 weeks later...

You'll have to keep moving, from shelter to shelter to regain some temperature. Do not waste any time, if you can't sleep you should be getting wood (if you have the hammer you can get wood from furniture), curing sapplings (I think you can cut sapplings with the hacksaw), getting cloth, etc.

Don't be afraid of night travelling. Doing that was the ultimate gamechanger. You move faster since you have plus 4 hours of travelling time, and you consume less resources.

Having a plan it's always better than just surviving. I'm at day 25 or something like that. I started at Pleasant Valley, went to Coastal Highway and stayed until I got some guts curing. Instead of staying there waiting, I went to Desolation Point and made the tools. Then I came back to Coastal Highway, made some fishing tackles and started fishing. When I recovered my condition I packed everything and went to Mystery Lake (because I like that region the most, I could perfectly stayed at Coastal Highway) I'm now based at the Camp Office working on the survival bow.

Do you know that you shouldn't keep your condition always at 100%? Cause if you don't, that's going to change your gameplay a lot.

EDIT: @continuity did you make any progress at all? :ph34r:

No one has mentioned this to you yet, practice throwing rocks. The rock seems to land just above the bend in the thumb....practice.

Grab like 10 rocks and find some bunnies. You can get relatively close to a bunny by crouching. Find some bunnies get close and crouch and knock a bunny out. Then sprint to the bunny before it regains consciousness and....um....kill it. Yeah kind of mean...but it's you or the bunny.

Try to grab a few, preferably around a shelter, because I think 3 dead bunnies equals a full scent meter.

Take them inside and skin them, gut them, and grab the meat. Throw the hides and guts on the ground to cure.

Light a fire somewhere and cook and eat that meat...and boil a few lieters of water at least....

Also don't forget to harvest cattails, mushrooms, and rose hips. The latter are medicinal, but they still have a 100 calories and if you drink them hot a warm up bonus...

After scavenging around a map for supplies...focus on finding a hacksaw to harvest scrap metal and a hammer for forging....then head to Forlorn Muskeg or Desolation Point to forge arrow heads and a improvised knife or two at least. You will need scrap metal, a bit of cloth and at least 8 pieces of coal to get the forge hot enough for forging. The more wood, coal, and scrap metal the better....

Next find a maple sapling and cure that for a bow. Also find some birch saplings and cure those for arrow shafts. (assuming you find a hacksaw)

Then turn those bunnies into gloves, and use your new bow and arrows for some deer to turn into pants and boots. Then use your bow and/or knife/hatchet for some wolves to make a coat....or two.

Then you'll be stylin...like a pimp...A Pimpocalypse!

Spoiler below:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=888366399

That is a guide listing a bunch of potential Interloper loot spawn locations for important tools...like the hacksaw for instance....

Archived