GELtaz just blew my mind again

Ruruwawa

I've followed GELtaz for a while and I always enjoy his videos.  Yesterday's is good overall too.

But there's this thing he does at 12:13 that just blew my mind.  I'm not here to spam or spoiler you guys with videos so here's a link to it instead:  https://youtu.be/CNsStheEMnA?t=733.  The amazing part is just one minute long, if you care to check it out.

THIS GAME... omg!

5 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

That is cool all right but we already knew this. It's been mentioned in the forum a couple times.

Doh I must have missed those threads.  I have more hours than I care to admit into the game (and this forum), and I never knew this trick. 

8 hours ago, JAFO said:

I knew about the wolf-distracting, but what blew my mind was when he walked along the top of the security fence.. had no idea that was possible.

Yep, that one made me laugh.   Just curious: prior to the new rock throwing mechanic, how did you distract wolves?

29 minutes ago, Carbon said:

Someone on the forums here brought this up some time ago; they bounced a rock off of a tree and the wolves went to check it out. I can't recall who it was, but they were in before GELtaz!

Thanks.  Sounds like it's a new thing with Faithful Cartographer then.

5 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

I believe so, with the introduction of rocks. As I recall, the poster didn't utilize the mechanic as GELtaz has, but they did make the observation that wolves are interested in noises (or is it motion?). I wish I could recall who it was...they deserve some credit for this valuable discovery!

Just now, Carbon said:

I believe so, with the introduction of rocks. As I recall, the poster didn't utilize the mechanic as GELtaz has, but they did make the observation that wolves are interested in noises. I wish I could recall who it was...they deserve some credit for this valuable discovery!

Yep.  Well thanks to whoever figured it out, and GELtaz for an awesome demo video then. 

And GIGANTIC thanks to Hinterland for this sort of gameplay.  Wow!

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

I knew about the wolf-distracting, but what blew my mind was when he walked along the top of the security fence.. had no idea that was possible.

I had to go back and watch it again because I stopped watching when he threw the rocks at the wolves..just missed it, lol. That is mind blowing, wow! Going to remember that trick. I assume you're safe up there :)

On 6/22/2017 at 9:44 PM, Ruruwawa said:

Just curious: prior to the new rock throwing mechanic, how did you distract wolves?

You couldn't..

On 6/22/2017 at 9:56 PM, Carbon said:

Someone on the forums here brought this up some time ago; they bounced a rock off of a tree and the wolves went to check it out. I can't recall who it was, but they were in before GELtaz!
 I wish I could recall who it was...they deserve some credit for this valuable discovery!

All I recall is that I first saw it posted during the time the test-branch was running.. unfortunately, we don't have access to those posts any more.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:26 PM, Ruruwawa said:

Yep.. it is.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:32 PM, Ruruwawa said:

Yep.  Well thanks to whoever figured it out, and GELtaz for an awesome demo video then. 

And GIGANTIC thanks to Hinterland for this sort of gameplay.  Wow!

Seconded. Many thanks, Hinterland!

On 6/23/2017 at 0:27 AM, SnowWalker said:

That is mind blowing, wow! Going to remember that trick. I assume you're safe up there :)

I would presume so.. even if not, a wolf would have to run all the way to the snowbank you used to climb up, then run along the fence to you. So they wouldn't be able to dodge when you took a shot at them. Hopefully it would also be a safe spot from which to shoot bears.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:31 PM, Carbon said:

they did make the observation that wolves are interested in noises (or is it motion?)

I'm pretty sure it's the noise.. they don't react until the rock hits the ground.. or tree.

I think you're right. One must be careful it seems: I did some testing on Crystal Lake (Stalker, out of agro range, crouched) and while one wolves went to check the noise, the other started coming towards me, the source. Maybe I wasn't far enough away.

13 hours ago, JAFO said:

I'm pretty sure it's the noise

I totally agree.

The first and second encounter I had with this new wolf behavior was during the test build days.

The first time was in front of the quonset.  Closing the car door attracted the three wolves attention.  I was unaware of them approaching until I turned to get in the back of the car.  One wolf was walking away and as soon as the door slammed shut all three wolves approached the car.  The wolves finally left the area as I sat there and contemplated this new behavior.

The second time witnessing this new behavior was exiting the tunnel from FM. A wolf chased me into the tunnel and after an hour in FM the wolf was still lurking in ML.  Crouched I exited the tunnel and in desperation I remembered the new sound attraction behavior and picked up a rock to distract the wolf.  I threw it over the train car and the wolf went towards it.  I threw another further away and watched the wolf again take the bait.  One last rock thrown far towards the tunnel and then I booked it out of there and never looked back.

So be careful and remember loud noise is your enemy and your ally.

10 hours ago, Farrgin Ice Hole said:

The first time was in front of the quonset.  Closing the car door attracted the three wolves attention.  I was unaware of them approaching until I turned to get in the back of the car.  One wolf was walking away and as soon as the door slammed shut all three wolves approached the car.  The wolves finally left the area as I sat there and contemplated this new behavior.

Hmm.. that's another one I hadn't realised yet.. (but then, there's not a lot of cars in ML!)

That's going to make life more "interesting", for sure. Thanks for the heads-up.

Archived