Lacuna Passage

If you like realism and the walking and exploring of TLD then you'll also love Lacuna Passage. Instead of snow, you've got the red sand of Mars. I won the game and chose it out of six games. I love it! I'm on my 12th try now without dying and this time I'm doing fairly well, so far. There's no danger from enemies but death comes swiftly on Mars, usually from starvation or exposure and/or asphyxiation if your EVA suit battery runs down and dies. You have to find two habitats and also dropped canisters and containers and stuff. It's not easy. You have to get power, water, heat, oxygen and way-point satellite dishes for weather updates up and running again. I'm really, enjoying it and I don't warm up to other survival games. I didn't like Subnautica at all, I'm not sure why, too cartoonish and unreal to me, and got my money back for that one. People have compared LP to Subnautica but it's not the same and if it was, I wouldn't like it either. There are some similarities, like the building and repairing but that's it. It's more like TLD to me. I don't like The Forest or 'any' of the other ones. I only like TLD, but now, this game as well. It's early access too so you're sandboxing and alone. It also has a story mode coming for this game as well which seems like it will also be pretty interesting. I like it anyway.

I just watched a YouTube video and I'm just not sure.  I don't mind the walking or routine/ repetitive tasks -- to me that's just life in inhospitable places.   But the gameplay seems to include a LOT of time interacting with numbers on screens and that part I'm not so fond of.   So I put it on my watch list for today -- Summer Sale starts tomorrow, right? :D

20 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

I just watched a YouTube video and I'm just not sure.  I don't mind the walking or routine/ repetitive tasks -- to me that's just life in inhospitable places.   But the gameplay seems to include a LOT of time interacting with numbers on screens and that part I'm not so fond of.   So I put it on my watch list for today -- Summer Sale starts tomorrow, right? :D

Not really, it's a UI just like any other. When you're hungry or thirsty you use the UI. It's very early access and they've just put out their first of many hotfixes. Repairing and all of that becomes second nature once you figure it out. Ex. You click on a fuse, it's at 76%, you repair it, it's simple. The game lets you look at your UI screen while walking but I don't do that. If I'm going on a long trek I check vitals once in awhile but I make sure I'm fit enough before I begin. I honestly don't spend a lot of time with the UI at all. I did at first but once you get the knack of it you use it a lot less. There's also the scanner which helps you to find stuff once you get the satellite dishes up and running but it's very unintrusive, and very helpful.

Edit: I also like that I can take a drink of water quickly while walking, but the UI definitely needs some fixing. Whenever you take something from the UI it defaults back to slot one, which can be a pain if you want to drink more than one bottle of water....so you're constantly scrolling back down to the water, which is always at the bottom of the 'Consumables'.

On 2017-06-21 at 10:39 PM, Ruruwawa said:

Thanks for the detailed perspective @SnowWalker.  I'm a space nerd so tbh I'd be tempted if all I could do was walk around. :D

That's all I do now...walk around looking for stuff, and man nothing is close by any of the habitats, and on Mars nightfall comes fast. The thrill though when finally walking up to a new find! When walking at night it's best not too linger too long before heading back to your habitat because at night your EVA suit battery starts running down and if it dies before you get back...you're dead. During the day you can strap on a portable solar panel which keeps the battery at 100% as long as there's sun. Took me awhile to figure that out so I was never able to wander far at first until I figured out the portable solar panel thing...and you can't run when it's equipped.

I'm trying to find this Mars Rover....still no luck though.

Archived