Menu choices memory

Miniwizard

It already exists for some elements (e.g. the amount of water you melted/boiled the previous time), but sadly is missing for many common actions - e.g. breaking a small branch. The default option is always hatchet if carrying one, regardless of if you never use the hatchet to do so, but rely purely on your hands for these menial tasks rather than suffer tool durability.

I'm thinking there could be a 'memory' of the last tool or hand used (which becomes the default selected item next time) for each positioned in-game harvestable item type - limbs, branches, scrub bushes, carcasses, chairs, shelves, stools, crates, tables, curtains, towels, pillows...

It would also be nice to have the fire-starting menu remember your previous options and default to them if still available in your inventory.

Good point, but not necessarily true.

If there are no 'options' to scroll through, then it could simply not remember the choice - (because it wasn't a choice)

Any time there is no options to choose from (only one option available) - whether due to game start, or to having dropped all items and trying the task - it could reset/clear the memory of the option chosen.

With no 'memory' or the 'memorised item' being unavailable currently, then the default would be the current behaviour. i.e. it would suggest the tool to use in the same way as now.

Sometimes i use hatchet to harvest carcasses, but only when they are 100% frozen. I do not want game to memorize this choice.

To cut a long story short - some choices in this game are vital. So you players should decide every time - do they want to risk the life of the character for the sake of tool durability. 

Oh, I think you misunderstand. I don't mean that it removes the choice, and uses the last item by default, I simply meant that the first item selected in the option menu was the 'memory' of your last setting.

Say for example lighting a fire. You are outside in the day time and are using a magnifying glass on some sticks. But you fail. Currently, when you try again, you still have to reset the magnifying glass choice, and reset to sticks.

I am proposing that these choices are remembered, and the option menu starts with these items selected. Not the removal of the choice itself.

This idea has been floating around for a while and would be really nice to have. Every time switching from hatchet to hands when i want to break a branch...ffs...

But, so far, nothing. Altho game do seem to remember selection in some cases. But mostly it always resets to default.

6 hours ago, Travell boots said:

What is the intention for more choices are remembered?

To make gameplay more seamless. To make it feel more comfortable to the user. To remove any struggle against the UI (which is somewhat of an immersion breaking mechanic)

I have lost count of how many matches I have wasted while starting fires because on a repeat attempt I forgot to recheck all the settings from the previous attempt. Forgotten how many times I've accidentally used a tool for a task I intended to do by hand. Or perhaps just the slight frustration of setting sleep to ten hours, then realising you need to eat something extra, changing menu, going back to find that the count is reset to 1 hour sleep.

Yes, it is not essential to have.. the game is not broken without it. This is a 'wish list' forum section.

Yet it is the same reason web browsers have 'auto-complete' for web forms. The same reason most websites will auto populate your login name from cookies and even offer to 'remember your password'. The same reason most mobile phones have 'predictive text'. It makes things easily, it allows you to concentrate more on the purpose rather than the method.

I have now got into the habit of ditching my tools when I want to go on a sticks and branches run around camp, just to remove the constant option changing while harvesting.

I'm new to TLD but I thought of a feature like this my second time plucking away at an ice fishing hole.. I referred to it in my mind as tool preference, but either way.. great QoL suggestion. I hope something like it makes it in the game someday.

A checkbox would be nice. "Remember selection". This way if player wants game to remember his preference for breaking branches, then he can just check it and every time he will want to break another branch it will provide him with same option. But at the same time it wont extend to, for example, fir limbs.

Archived