I want to become a cannibal

17 minutes ago, Travell boots said:

Whe i read this sentence i must say i will be shocked. Really shocked. As you hit me with a very big hammer on my head. :o:o:o

When i play board games with my best friends we are really assholes. There is no friendship anymore. Everyone want to win and everytime i have the chance to bring them in trouble is welcome. If i visit my live action role events i kill people and it looks very realistic because of we use fake blood and other expensive requisties that also hollywood will use when they procuded a movie. But you can believe in real life i am a very friendly man that often helps people without the exspect to get a reward for this.

Your sentence you have written ( see quote ) sounds for me that every forum member that think about canibalism in TLD as a good feature must be totally crazy, a sadist without any morale behaviour, a real monster.

If i play games, wether computer games, board games or live role playing i don´t think about just for a second about the morale behaviour i will practise in the game because it is just a game. It is just fiction. It is not me in real life.

I said nothing about you. Look, I'm not going to continue with this. I know this will sound bad, but you seem quite young and I am not and as such, I should simply leave this thread alone. We won't come to any agreement on anything, so I will bow out. 

Enjoy what you do. :)

While I think it would be an interesing option, I can't help but feel that it wouldn't really add much to the game other than some added, hard to swallow (pun intended) darker realism.

However - I believe it would negatively affect the game's image as a whole. Particularly with respect to the multitudes who will be intruduced to the game via let's plays or streamed gameplay. I can already imagine the number of people who would deliberately choose to play as cannibals and show off the game in such a way - choosing only to feast off dead human bodies etc. While this is a perfectly fine thing to decide to do (should this mechanic be implemented) it hardly portrays the game or gameplay in the way that I think Hinterland would wish it to be showcased.

In a similar tone, consider the rabbits. As a game mechanic, I think it's wonderfully dealt with. The first time you encounter it, there is an interesting small moral choice that the player makes - they need food but are suddenly confronted with a cute little bunny staring at them and a rather obvious decision to make. After that, you just do it quickly and instinctively. Yet it is already slightly sad to see how some streamers/let's players deal with the bunny neck snapping - excessively joking about the action.

Because cannibalism could have serious physiological consequences. Do some research on it, you'll see just how awful it is for you.

Avoiding the brain is of particular importance, but I think part of the reason is repugnance to it.

Your instincts do take you over, but some instincts would stop cannibalism. Besides, even on interloper starvation has never been much of a problem for me so I don't see why this would be important to implement.

19 minutes ago, Miniwizard said:

While I think it would be an interesing option, I can't help but feel that it wouldn't really add much to the game other than some added, hard to swallow (pun intended) darker realism.

This too, I agree very strongly. Some things are best left out. "Less is more" in some situations/games.

Here's what comes to mind when I read this topic:

IT Crowd s2e3.gif

Just have to edit to clarify that the above is an image of someone who 'is interested' in cannibalism -- and that is definitely not me! :P

And for those who don't know...this image is from The I.T. Crowd season 2, episode 3, titled, "Moss and the German."

On 6/22/2017 at 3:52 AM, Tbone555 said:

Certain cultures and groups of people's bodies are more attuned to eating certain things. a very sudden change in diet can make you very sick. and most of our bodies aren't custom to eating meat from our own species. there are many tribes and cultures that practice cannibalism, however. someone in one of these cultures would find it a much easier task, both physically and mentally.

Yes, but generally speaking, we can adapt to things we generally would avoid if we can, like eating from trash can.

And yes, sudden change of diet can make you sick. Thats why its normally recommended to ease in into those things, step by step. But it is quite possible if followed couple easy steps.

None of those are applicable in this case, as in terms of cannibalism, in extreme conditions, its not about comfort, its about survival. Its not about what you want, but what you have to do in order to survive. Its one or another, there is no option of meditating out a steak.

Again, as we are members of same species, and numerous researches support it, human flesh is easiest for us to process. Reason why pork is so popular is because swine is really close to us genetically. For the same reason its used in medical research, treatments and pig "parts" are often used in "fixing" humans.

23 hours ago, Honor said:

Because cannibalism could have serious physiological consequences. Do some research on it, you'll see just how awful it is for you.

I did, extensively. Do describe them, that are specific to cannibalism and are not applicable to consumption of any other animal meat.

Avoiding the brain is of particular importance, but I think part of the reason is repugnance to it.

I should have guessed that kuru will surface. First, kuru is extremely rare, its indigenous to a tiny part of the world(and is isolated there). Proper praparation, combined with avoidance of brains and intestines, makes chances of contracting it next to none. Even if you find person infected by it in the first place.

And just to put things into perspective: you have over 2000 times higher chance to contract any of other meat-related illnesses like salmonella(and considering that there is literally hundreds of those pathogens...).  And then there is also small nuance with kuru, with its extremely long incubation period, so that even those few who do contract it, have a really good chance to die of natural causes even before it kicks in.

Hell, you have higher chance, combined, to be killed by a pencil, drowning in an empty bucket, struck by a meteorite and/or falling plane, that to die from kuru.

Your instincts do take you over, but some instincts would stop cannibalism.

No, quite the opposite. It has been proven again and again, that thin veil of civility tend to be extremely thin, especially under extreme circumstances. And it tend to be blown away with little to no effort if human being is put under pressure.

Only one who can think that he would be able to just wish cannibalism away is someone who was never truly hungry. And one of main parts of being truly hungry, as with other strong drives, is lack of hope. Its not just you havent eaten in 3 days, thats actually easy in comparison. No, its when you havent eaten in 3 days and have no idea when you will eat again, if at all, with limited to no options. This is real hunger, as all restrictions get blown off, with pure will to survive taking over.

Then, you will kill a man and you will eat him. And you will enjoy it. Not the killing, or cannibalism, but the fact that you got to eat. Whatever it was you were eating.

It happens because when brain start to die from lack of nutrients, higher brain functions are the first ones to go. And brain will do everything to survive.

Im not advocating for cannibalism. But not for some misguided moral reasons. I just dont see a point in it being implemented. Im not even sure if anyone died purely from starvation in tLD.

9 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Im not advocating for cannibalism. But not for some misguided moral reasons. I just dont see a point in it being implemented. Im not even sure if anyone died purely from starvation in tLD.

exactly. there are so many other food resources in game. why are we still discussing this? who wants to eat your dead body zombie topic?

On 6/23/2017 at 10:58 AM, Dirmagnos said:

I stand corrected on the dangers of disease, but I have to disagree on the instincts. I know what you're saying is true for some, but I was never sat down at any point in my life and morally taught cannibalism was wrong. In fact I had never heard of it until I was an older child and as soon as I heard it I found the idea to be rather ridiculous.

Scientists have even found human flesh to be rather crap for nutrition for other humans, or even animals, so that may explain why some societies have no large recorded practice of cannibalism before the 20th century.

That being said, my main point was in TLD there is no reason. Even on the hardest difficulty I had no need for it, so I don't see why HL would waste resources trying to implement it.

8 minutes ago, Honor said:

I stand corrected on the dangers of disease, but I have to disagree on the instincts. I know what you're saying is true for some, but I was never sat down at any point in my life and morally taught cannibalism was wrong. In fact I had never heard of it until I was an older child and as soon as I heard it I found the idea to be rather ridiculous.

Because its done on subliminal level. You are never taught that murder is wrong either, yet most people would be physically unable to pull the trigger on a human being, unless this psychological barrier is previously dismantled by deprogramming. There is a reason why number of ptsds has been on the rise in last several decades, as citizens who later become soldiers are not really prepared for realities of war.

And before you start accusing on being conspiracy nut, im not talking about CIA-run MK-Ultra type of programs. Im talking about subtle, society wide, programming. Simply take Grimm stories and compare originals to modern Disney versions. And this is done on every level of our everyday life, to soften up reality, to make people more compliant by limiting access to violence of real world. To make everything look nice.

I recently watched a documentary of a professor debunking this idiotic Global Warming myth and he also mentioned how pretty much everyone during his childhood(US, 30s) lived in fear of imminent death from chemical weapons. It was a norm, to be ready to fight and to die. To a modern western man this whole idea feels completely alien. Even just 50 years ago people were mentally far more resilient, compared to modern day.

If shit were to hit the fan, most of us do not stand a chance.

29 minutes ago, Honor said:

Scientists have even found human flesh to be rather crap for nutrition for other humans, or even animals, so that may explain why some societies have no large recorded practice of cannibalism before the 20th century.

I presume that by "scientists" you mean Dr. James Cole. The thing is, according to his research humans would be shitty lunch not because our meat is different, but because our meat to everything else ratio is poor and because we do not exercise as much, resulting in poor muscular density, as same boar for example. So if you get one of those "fat is beautiful" porkers, then sure, youl get little return. But if you get your hands on Usain Bolt, then its a completely different story.

Most importantly "beggars cant be choosers". If you have a choice between 3 pounds of nothing and a pound of long pig, its not really a choice, if were talking nutrition. Because in most cases people resolve to cannibalism when there is no alternatives.

38 minutes ago, Honor said:

That being said, my main point was in TLD there is no reason. Even on the hardest difficulty I had no need for it, so I don't see why HL would waste resources trying to implement it.

Couldnt agree more. Yes, its a viable feature, but so it 100 others. Question is how relevant it would be to gameplay and on that part id say its value is rather low.

2 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

I presume that by "scientists" you mean Dr. James Cole

No I meant in general, as in many animals won't even bother eating humans or finishing them off despite being a normal part of their evolutionary history. Lions are a good example of this. They are so familiar with humans that they even have been known to attack us differently from other animals at times, there was an interesting documentary on this, actually, that questioned whether or not predators viewed us as the bottom of their food chain.

Spoiler: Confirmed.

But the lion didn't even bother trying to eat the mock humans it was provided. Some sharks won't even eat us either despite there being blood in the water after "tasting" us. I think human meat probably sucks the most, in general.

You are never taught that murder is wrong either

Oooh, yes you are. It is addressed very, very often in all sorts of media, both physical assault and murder being wrong. All the time. In law too, it is illegal. But cannibalism isn't addressed directly.

I recently watched a documentary of a professor debunking this idiotic Global Warming myth and he also mentioned how pretty much everyone during his childhood(US, 30s) lived in fear of imminent death from chemical weapons.

What's his name? I am curious.

To a modern western man this whole idea feels completely alien. Even just 50 years ago people were mentally far more resilient, compared to modern day.

I guess it depends on the individual. Don't assume much about me. For all you know, I'm a brutal and cold person.

Or maybe not. Hard to tell.

7 hours ago, Honor said:

No I meant in general, as in many animals won't even bother eating humans or finishing them off despite being a normal part of their evolutionary history. Lions are a good example of this. They are so familiar with humans that they even have been known to attack us differently from other animals at times, there was an interesting documentary on this, actually, that questioned whether or not predators viewed us as the bottom of their food chain.

Id like to see sources. I did some digging on the subject, there appear not much research done on the subject.

From i know wild animals have killed humans and ate them without much problems.

7 hours ago, Honor said:

Oooh, yes you are. It is addressed very, very often in all sorts of media, both physical assault and murder being wrong. All the time. In law too, it is illegal. But cannibalism isn't addressed directly.

No, its addressed as being illegal in most cases. At the very best "wrong" is mentioned in passing-by. In most cases its implied of being wrong. Same with cannibalism, but since murders get far more coverage, as being far more common, it may feel that cannibalism gets less attention.

7 hours ago, Honor said:

What's his name? I am curious.

Il try to find that video tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Honor said:

I guess it depends on the individual.

True, but generally speaking were fucked.

No. It's not appropriate in real life nor in a game; we don't need to make some political or philosophical point. This game is not a game about what happens after the SHTF; this is more of a different and thoughtful game which must stay true to its own vision, the vision of its creator.

I don't think it's appropriate to cater to this type of impulse; if you were going to add in features to emulate the desperate struggle against starvation, the developers could have added more starvation foods such as worms, insects, bark, maggots and so on.

I kind of feel like this whole thread is a bit of a troll. It just makes me shudder.

Please! No zombies, no cannibals, no vampires, no undead travesties :o.
Thank you! :)

18 hours ago, Honor said:

Spoiler: Confirmed.

But the lion didn't even bother trying to eat the mock humans it was provided. Some sharks won't even eat us either despite there being blood in the water after "tasting" us. I think human meat probably sucks the most, in general.

I'm sure the sharks are not thinking hrm I don't like the taste of this meat. It's more of wow all those bones and no meat thing is not worth my time. they can probably easily tell if they are biting into a huge chunk of seal fat/meat compared to say a bunch of bones.

4 hours ago, SteveP said:

No. It's not appropriate in real life nor in a game; we don't need to make some political or philosophical point. This game is not a game about what happens after the SHTF; this is more of a different and thoughtful game which must stay true to its own vision, the vision of its creator.

And here we go again. What exactly is "not appropriate" about cannibalism in gaming(Fallout,wink-wink, and its not the only one) and in general. And the fact that you used "not appropriate" as argument is exactly a philosophical point, lol.

And for someone who seem to be on board with "vision of its creator", you seem to have posted mighty lot of ideas on this forum. But ideas of other people are apparently "not appropriate" and go against "the vision of creator". I smell the stench of hypocrisy here.

Either all ideas have equal footing, or none of them do. If you dont like an idea, fight it with proper arguments. Not some strawman argumentation that is completely irrelevant, like "its just a game" or "muh, creator vision".

I don't think it's appropriate to cater to this type of impulse; if you were going to add in features to emulate the desperate struggle against starvation, the developers could have added more starvation foods such as worms, insects, bark, maggots and so on.

I dont think its appropriate to add worms, insects, maggots, etc.

Please! No zombies, no cannibals, no vampires, no undead travesties

Aww, so nice of you to pile cannibalism with imaginary folks. Has even less connection to them as it is to vegetarianism, but whatever.

On 6/25/2017 at 9:34 AM, nicko said:

I'm sure the sharks are not thinking hrm I don't like the taste of this meat. It's more of wow all those bones and no meat thing is not worth my time. they can probably easily tell if they are biting into a huge chunk of seal fat/meat compared to say a bunch of bones.

Taste bud satisfaction=more caloric content. It's another major factor in why people are overweight, food is so calorie dense. Ever wonder why those cinnamon buns are so damn good?

Sharks have taste buds too. They know our meat is pretty calorie empty.

I wonder how many times a month the staff has to tell someone they have a certain direction and vision for the game and it does not include cannibalism.

Even though if the game wasn't a game, and it was me stuck in this situation with no one in the woods but me and all these cadavers lying around....and I'm starving to death. I wouldn't hesitate to eat a dead person.

9 hours ago, Honor said:

Taste bud satisfaction=more caloric content. It's another major factor in why people are overweight, food is so calorie dense. Ever wonder why those cinnamon buns are so damn good?

Sharks have taste buds too. They know our meat is pretty calorie empty.

I didn't realise sharks count calories :) if anything it's like i mentioned they bite and find we are all bones. I bet if a shark came across a hugely obese person they would go to town on it. anyways going a bit off topic.

2 hours ago, nicko said:

if anything it's like i mentioned they bite and find we are all bones.

A voice of reason in the howling desert! Thank you. This, and red meat isn't on the menu often.

Yes, off-topic indeed and I believe this thread has lost any 'edge' it may have had; quite circular and dull.

10 hours ago, nicko said:

I didn't realise sharks count calories :)

They don't, like I said it's primal. Good taste=lots of goodies. Please don't straw man.

10 hours ago, nicko said:

if anything it's like i mentioned they bite and find we are all bones.

Incorrect, do your research.

8 hours ago, Carbon said:

red meat isn't on the menu often.

Doesn't mean they don't have a taste for it. They do.

11 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

I wonder how many times a month the staff has to tell someone they have a certain direction and vision for the game and it does not include cannibalism.

Could not agree more. Besides, if you play well you won't need it anyway. I can't tell you how many times I have though I was going to starve but some good decisions kept me fed, even on interloper.

On 6/30/2017 at 3:53 PM, nicko said:

I didn't realise sharks count calories :)

On 7/1/2017 at 2:50 AM, Honor said:

They don't, like I said it's primal. Good taste=lots of goodies. Please don't straw man.

And yet another joke goes sailing over someone's head at 10,000 metres.

Maybe @nicko should have put a wink or laugh after his comment, instead of a smiley. ;):D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived