I want to become a cannibal

7 minutes ago, Travell boots said:

The main intention by a survival game should be: How far will you go to survive?

The game is abundant in food - bears, wolves and dears, rabbits, fish, plants, shrooms, berries, loot. Can not  really imagine situation when cannibalism is becoming vital for survival.

1 hour ago, Travell boots said:

Great. Really great. I have also suggest this under the topic burial beacuse people there talk about burial for dead bodies. And what i have written there is the following:

I think it is very good idea to bring more real-life-elements into the game but then let´s take a look into the real life. Like slackhideo said people who have problems with dead bodies it´s about the places, cultures, maybe your parents told you that´s wrong or whatever. But i want to say something that you all please don´t forget: That is a survival game what is play after a global catastrophe. You don´t spend your holidays somewhere, found a dead body and think, oh, i am a christ and this dead human must get a funeral ( or whatever your reasons are because you want to have a funeral for this dead human ).

And there are many examples and proofs in living history of mankind. A true story:

https://sports.clickon.co/2017/01/31/cannibalism-true-story-uruguayan-rugby-team-survived-plane-crash/

If you get in really serious trouble it is not your more intellectually mind that control your actions. At this moment you control by basic instincts. That is a scientific fact. And no one here can tell me in this situation: "Your survive an airplane crash, there is a global catastrophe, you are hungry and the temperatures are very cold that you really think about to make a funeral for a unknown dead human you found into the snow of canadian wilderness. That is the point. Normally if you spend a your holiday and found a dead body i could unterstand you call the police or give him a furneral. But don´t forget. This games should be a really dangerous situation for you and not a adventure holiday trip.

I say it again. Please remember. That is a survival game and not "the settler", not the "Spend your holiday somewhere-game".

The main intention by a survival game should be: How far will you go to survive? I think "The Long Dark" could be a really good game if you can decide it by yourself. Broke the neck of the rabbit or set him free. Give a human dead body a funeral because you morality say you must do it oder cut off some pieces of human flesh because you are so hungry and don´t want to die?

Please give canibalism a chance. I think even Hinterland think about the question: How far you will go to survive? And why did i say this. Look, if you throwe a stone to the rabbit, hold the rabbit in your hand and you must decide between dead or set him free. You look into the huge black eyes of the sweet, little rabbit. Why do you think do Hinterland such graphicals like big black eyes of cute rabbit and the possibility of choice? Is it really so impossible that you even eat human flesh before you die of hunger?

It would make the atmosphere ever more chilling and dark giving players a option of canibalizing would make the situation feel ever more hopeless,And would show the true reality of the unending HELL that is Nature

12 minutes ago, Travell boots said:

if you throwe a stone to the rabbit, hold the rabbit in your hand and you must decide between dead or set him free. You look into the huge black eyes of the sweet, little rabbit. Why do you think do Hinterland such graphicals like big black eyes of cute rabbit and the possibility of choice?

Nice depiction of moral relativism principle - if i am allowed to kill cute rabbit why i am refused to eat dead people?  And the answer is simple - we live in a society that allows killing animals and forbids eating human flesh.

4 minutes ago, LeeHarveyOslik said:

Nice depiction of moral relativism principle - if i am allowed to kill cute rabbit why i am refused to eat dead people?  And the answer is simple - we live in a society that allows killing animals and forbids eating human flesh.

And Society doesn't exist in The Long Dark, Only Survival 

4 minutes ago, LeeHarveyOslik said:

I believe you are confusing the in game story and the actual game development. Both developers and gamers still live in the existing society and have to follow the principles.

Videogames are meant to do the exact opposite take the Grand Theft Auto games for example 

We play videogames to do things we can't or wouldn't do in Society,Also if I was starving to death and there was human meat available I wouldn't go "Oh this doesn't follow principle" No, I'd eat it so I could live to see another day

7 hours ago, LeeHarveyOslik said:

Because there are worse things other than  starvation. Cannibalism is one of them.

One thing that is worse than starvation in this case is to die from stupidity, as generally objections to cannibalism are purely social ones, not practical ones.

4 hours ago, LeeHarveyOslik said:

Why not consider adding necrophilia then? The protagonist can get lonely sometimes and this will "make the atmosphere ever more chilling and dark".

Plane crashes on a lone island. Only pilot, co-pilot and stewardess survived.

After couple of weeks crew decided "enough of perversions" and killed stewardess.

After few more weeks crew decided "enough of perversions" and buried stewardess.

After few more weeks crew decided "enough of perversions" and dug up stewardess.

4 hours ago, LeeHarveyOslik said:

I believe you are confusing the in game story and the actual game development. Both developers and gamers still live in the existing society and have to follow the principles.

Says who ? Besides, if that was a rule, then 99% of games would not exist. Whole genres would be gone, like shooters of RPGs.

We've mentioned this before, but just in case anyone missed it in previous discussions: we're not planning on adding cannibalism or other similar mechanics to The Long Dark. It doesn't really fit the type of experience we're going for with this game.

It's not so much that the team thinks cannibalism is impossible or can't have a place in a survival game, however we're focused on crafting a specific kind of emotional experience and feel to the world. To this end, we've made a lot of careful decisions about what to include in the game, and what not to.

There have been similar discussions on the forums around suggestions such as adding defecation/urination to the game. This is another example of something that would could add realism, and might be an interesting mechanic for a survival game, but doesn't quite fit with kind of experience we are going for with The Long Dark.

In a ton of cases, the consuming of human flesh makes someone who's stomach is not attuned to it incredibly sick and ill. that is, if your brain will even let you eat it. I've read cannibilization survival stories, real life experiences, where they would swallow the human flesh and throw it right back up just because their brain tells them "NO. WRONG."

Eating another person isn't as simple as most people think it is, unless you come from a culture who openly practices it down generations. in William Mckenzies case, it would probably do much much more harm than help. if I were in that situation, I wouldn't even consider it even for survival because of the possible health risks, and that's not to mention the morality of it.

1 minute ago, Tbone555 said:

In a ton of cases, the consuming of human flesh makes someone who's stomach is not attuned to it incredibly sick and ill. that is, if your brain will even let you eat it. I've read cannibilization survival stories, real life experiences, where they would swallow the human flesh and throw it right back up just because their brain tells them "NO. WRONG."

Eating another person isn't as simple as most people think it is, unless you come from a culture who openly practices it down generations. in William Mckenzies case, it would probably do much much more harm than help. if I were in that situation, I wouldn't even consider it even for survival because of the possible health risks, and that's not to mention the morality of it.

Great.  Now I have to go and eat human flesh just to prove you wrong.  You are sick...

1 hour ago, Tbone555 said:

I've read cannibilization survival stories, real life experiences, where they would swallow the human flesh and throw it right back up just because their brain tells them "NO. WRONG."

I remember a scene from the movie 'Alive' (1993) about a plane crash in the Andes, where the food ran out and they started eating the dead. Not an easy decision.

Apparently, the movie was based off a 1974 bestseller by Piers Paul Read, who spoke to survivors of the crash of Uruguyan Air Force Flight 571 in october 1972 whilst researching the book, 'Alive: the Story of the Andes Survivors'.

I'm guessing you're thinking of those types of survival stories, yes?

4 minutes ago, Travell boots said:

Wow. it seems that the discuss is not over.

Totally agree. I really don´t want to have canibalism just of to get higher violence in the game. Just like Albert Campus said: "Without shadows light can not exist, even you about the darkness."

Come one selfless and Tbone555. Be friendly. :)

This member already said it:

Of course there a cultures where practise this aspect of canibalism maybe even today. Of course we can discuss about if you will survive and are hungry enough you will do canibalism. There are forum members that will agree and others disagree.

But i´m sure we all agree that canibalism is a extremly situation. I mean this in the way that we can have similiar effects in the game with other mechanism. I think none of us want to have canibalism because we are so fascinated by the violence of broke bones, smell blood and snash flesh. Some forum members are, even me,  selfless ;), fascinated because if there is a very sad and bad thing in the game normally effects seems more beautiful then before.

But Mel Guille told us that they will not planning or adding canibalism in the game. I´m still agree that canibalism is a good idea but i can also lived and managed without it.

And at least i have a wish for you both, selfless and Tbone555. Don´t be unfriendly because you have different opinions. The main theme by a discuss should not be that i convince the other. It should be exchange of ideas. If the other will change his opinion because of your arguments it is good. If he don´t do this it will be also good. But unfriendly people by a discuss are always bad.

Example: If selfless say: "The idea of canibalism is bullshit Tbone555" then he not be unfriendly, he criticize just the idea and not the forum member. But if selfless say: "you are sick ..." this is personal, unfriendly and should not be exist by a discuss. ;)

I was being friendly, I assumed that selfless was just joking :P

There's been too much unfriendliness on the forums these days. that was not my intention, I apologize if it came off that way! I honestly thought we were just joking around :)

6 minutes ago, TWM said:

I remember a scene from the movie 'Alive' (1993) about a plane crash in the Andes, where the food ran out and they started eating the dead. Not an easy decision.

Apparently, the movie was based off a 1974 bestseller by Piers Paul Read, who spoke to survivors of the crash of Uruguyan Air Force Flight 571 in october 1972 whilst researching the book, 'Alive: the Story of the Andes Survivors'.

I'm guessing you're thinking of those types of survival stories, yes?

That's one of the most infamous ones, yes. terrible thing

From my understanding, most of the survivors of the initial crash of that flight died from the cold, hunger because they refused to resort from cannibalism, and a few of the ones who did decide to eat the dead got sick from it.

1 minute ago, Travell boots said:

Oh yes. I knew a very unfriendly member even in this forum. I don´t want to teach here anybody. I just have the wish that there could be discuss without personal insults.

And because of joking around. In german language i will could unterstand it but my english knowledge is too bad to regocnize when people just joking around. ;)

I've encountered quite a few unfriendly people. back in the olden days when I joined, October 2015ish, everyone was so friendly. people didn't shoot down eachother ideas and insult eachother, that was so rare to see. Everyone was calm, friendly, level headed and open minded. this community has kind of grown bitter, in my opinion. 

22 hours ago, Travell boots said:

we live in a society that allows killing animal and forbids eating human flesh

Not really. Most countries do not have laws that forbid cannibalism. Grave desecration or murder is a different story.

3 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

Attuned ? As members of same species digesting humans is actually easier for us, than digesting any other animal protein.

Cannibalism is considered taboo purely for sociological reasons, not physiological. And in most cases, those restrictions simply slide off, when person is put in great peril. Most basic instincts surface and become prevalent.

31 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Not really. Most countries do not have laws that forbid cannibalism. Grave desecration or murder is a different story.

Attuned ? As members of same species digesting humans is actually easier for us, than digesting any other animal protein.

Cannibalism is considered taboo purely for sociological reasons, not physiological. And in most cases, those restrictions simply slide off, when person is put in great peril. Most basic instincts surface and become prevalent.

Look at it this way. my father took a trip down to Louisiana for work, tried gator for the first time. Came out of a fine resteraunt, so there's not much chance that he got food poisoning. it messed his stomach up for 2 weeks. and myself, I never ate wild game up until recently. first time I did, it tore my stomach up so bad that I almost didn't want to eat it again. but that deer steak was the tastiest piece of meat I've ever had :P

Certain cultures and groups of people's bodies are more attuned to eating certain things. a very sudden change in diet can make you very sick. and most of our bodies aren't custom to eating meat from our own species. there are many tribes and cultures that practice cannibalism, however. someone in one of these cultures would find it a much easier task, both physically and mentally.

Don't even get me started on Indian food. stuff makes me want to vomit from the smell alone.

@Tbone555 if you really want to see  bitter forums, I recommend checking out the MWO general discussion forum.  That place is a toxic waste dump and everyone (ok... 90%) there is pretty jaded and rude.  Bullies reside there as well.  

The forums here are pleasant and full of sane, levelheaded people-in comparison :)

Regarding the general topic here of cannibalism in this game, I'm glad that it's not included because The Long Dark is not about "surviving at all cost." Really what it is about is surviving against the elements--mother nature. It is just the game I was looking for and I am glad it has stayed true to its course and "pure" despite the odd request now and then from some to make it otherwise  :) 

Those who are looking for a "survival game with cannibalism" should probably be playing Rust or some zombie 'survival' game. 

I totally agree with Mel and Wastewatcher. 

This is a survival game but its their vision and as much as they love the communities input and help and ideas and value everyone's opinion and thoughts, they do have to remain true to their vision and goal for this game. Some ideas we provide will meet what they are trying to achieve and therefore can be considered even if not used. But there will be some ideas and wishes they will not implement. Not because they find those ideas wrong or bad. Just that they do not fit what this game is trying to achieve.

Even if a desired mechanic is realistic and falls into a category of survival, it does not necessarily match what this team wants to have in the game. That does not make this game any less of a survival game. 

I love Subnautica and i love Stranded Deep and i adore Skyrim at a very survival immersive level. I love the telltale games, especially The Walking dead series and Life is Strange. All these games introduce elements of survival or moral decision making to a different degree and push your comfort level. Some push those moral boundaries or decision making. But they all have their own agenda. Yet they are all amazing survival or immersion games in their own right.

The Long Dark is unique. Its not a first person zombie shooter or a  moral/horror shock game. Its hard and can be very tense and realistic. But its also beautiful and paced. 

Cannibalism is not a taboo topic or one thats wrong. Its just not what they will implement as it just does not match their vision for this game. Hinterland or the game should not be judged on this. But you should also be proud that the community has these discussions as its healthy and important to game development and community support. For every idea thats discarded or turned down, another might be smiled on and considered :).

1 hour ago, Travell boots said:

It is the wish to integrate a mechanism that shows all morale deepths of the human soul in a socity that allows killing animals and forbids eating human flesh.

To think that this lesson can first be taught with a couple of mouse clicks and second to believe that TLD is the vector for such teaching is misguided. Much evidence was found which states that video games are not responsible for creating shoot 'em up kids and if this is true then it stands to reason that kids - or anyone else for that matter - are not turning to games for lessons on morality, good or bad. TLD has no flag to fly and no torch to carry in that way; no game has any right to believe it could. Recall the Modern Warfare shooting of civilians; was there any take away from that aside form how low developers will go to sell a product? TLD need not sully itself with such transparent notions of moral teaching.

There is no moral lesson in having an in-game character survive another day.

Cannibalism would be a vulgarity within TLD, one for which I would quit, uninstall and never look back. It's a fantastic act that horrifies us when we hear of some far-away tribe that practices it, one that is marginally forgivable only in very rare instances. Sorry OP, but fully mature enlightened humans have evolved far, far beyond entertaining the notion of eating even our digital own, to the point of complete and utter revulsion, wherever and however it is presented.

Yes, I understand and read what you wanted me to read; it's the very line I quoted. What you're saying isn't beyond me, so don't worry. But did I say that you couldn't talk about it? Who am I to make such a demand? I said nothing of the sort.

Mel is being PR polite. ;)

I'm not sure if you read all of my post or stopped at the quote, but I said much more than that which speaks to what you just wrote.

Nobody said it wasn't possible and nobody said it hasn't or won't ever happen. That you have to reference an event from 45 years ago speaks to the abhorrent nature of the act and thankfully, one so rare that it is statistically zero. There is additionally nothing to learn from your idea. That people get so desperate they do the unspeakable is it, the sum total, there is nothing more to understand or learn. Why do I need to eat a human - or even pretend to - to know it's horrific? Anyhow, I have been clear and said my peace. It's a vile act, one that in all but the the most desperate and absolutely, utterly hopeless situations is repulsive.

And a path to self-knowledge isn't going to come sitting in front of a computer screen. :P 

Archived