NEW WEAPONS!

DeanBros2017

Have you ever been out of Rifle Rounds, and a Wolf is trying to attack with all its might? And right before you die, you wish you had another round, or even a new weapon? Well, that's what this post is all about. The idea is basically that there is more than on kind of gun, and that you create your own ammunition, using scrap metal and gunpowder. The new weapon would be a smaller, faster firing weapon, such as a revolver. But fear not, because they would have there own kind of ammunition an everything else. Hinterland Studios, I thoroughly hope that you would add this into the final copy of the game, and thank you! Have a nice day!

30 minutes ago, DeanBros2017 said:

Have you ever been out of Rifle Rounds, and a Wolf is trying to attack with all its might? And right before you die, you wish you had another round, or even a new weapon?

You already have other weapons.

A bow, a hatchet, a knife.. then there are the blunt trauma weapons.. heavy hammer, prybar, rocks, fists.

There are other solutions to problems besides using a gun. Something that often tends to escape many of our American cousins, whose only solution to dangerous situations always seems to involve firearms. ;)

While bullets could be retrieved from corpses(presuming that player hits) sometimes, and casings could be salvaged, main problem would be gunpowder and primers. While some sort of gunpowder could be, theoretically, made out of available resources, it wont be anywhere near, in terms of power, as proper manufactured one. Plus, while it is possible to make primers out of junk, they are unreliable and cannot be crafted for rifle rounds. Pressure would just blow them out. Revolver rounds... maybe.

You'd likely be unable to salvage any of the bullets. Rifle rounds for hunting are designed to mushroom on impact or fragment to cause as much trauma as possible so the animal dies quickly. Even if you recovered the spent bullet you wouldn't be able to fire the misshaped piece of metal again. 

People in real life that craft their own bullets buy the already shaped and jacketed lead. This needs almost computer precision. If a muzzleloader were added, you could *maybe* shape some round shot. But muzzleloaders are clumsy and inconvenient, especially in the heat of the moment. They take a decent amount of time to reload, which is a problem when you have a charging bear. There's a good chance that they won't even fire, so unless they were preloaded, they are useless.

IF you could make a rifle round, you would need to find a metal to jacket the lead. Lead is soft and easily warped, especially under extreme heat (ex. firing the gun) . Jacketing the lead would be nearly impossible as well, seeing that you would have to seamlessly cover the lead with a thin layer of metal (the normal choice is copper). All this precision leads up to a) the bullet even functioning when fired, and b) the bullet making it to your target smoothly. Even computer made bullets travel in a slow spiral shape if you watch closely. 

I don't want to shoot your idea down , I even suggested more firearms once, but in order to make this game hard, guns and bullets should be at a minimum. It's why there are no guns in Interloper. They already make the game easy, and can you imagine how much easier the game would be with several types of firearms? You can find up to two or more rifles in Mystery Lake alone! Imagine having two or three more kinds of firearms in Mystery Lake, each with two or more of its kind? I would almost be sick! I love the feeling of relief I get when I catch sight of a gun, but it would be spoiled by adding more guns. 

Your ideas are always welcome and appreciated on the forums, but with every idea, expect cynical b#stards like me to put in their  two cents. Just remember never to take it personally.

A crossbow? Spears have been mentioned many times. A sling / slingshot? Blowgun with darts tips dipped in 0% Pinnacle Peaches? A pit trap? A nail-studded club? A meteor hammer or surujin? Loads of potential candidates.

On 6/20/2017 at 10:26 PM, cekivi said:

You'd likely be unable to salvage any of the bullets. Rifle rounds for hunting are designed to mushroom on impact or fragment to cause as much trauma as possible so the animal dies quickly. Even if you recovered the spent bullet you wouldn't be able to fire the misshaped piece of metal again. 

Presuming that those are hunting rounds. But description doesnt state what type of rounds are those. I prefer to believe that they are fmj rather than hp.

In truth, I think that people fail to understand just how much of a challenge creating a modern weapon is... assuming you start from zero (absolute scratch). I do, however, have a bunch of thoughts:

RIFLE ROUNDS - It is possible to make your own rounds though the game would have to add in several materials (copper, lead, and gunpowder at a minimum). It would also require that you have a location where you can cast jackets and smelt lead and create final product. Personally, I like finite bullets (or extremely limited production line).  Obviously, I would limit the ability to create them by requiring a high RIFLE-FIREARM SKILL (and to balance things out - you might have accuracy penalties, decreased damage (especially again bears), increased wear on rifle (requires more cleaning), and increased chance of jam-misfire with self made rounds). Challenge can be increased by requiring high (3+ fire building) and decent cooking (unless you add in a crafting to manage the forge.

CUDGEL (NIGHT STICK) - While I think that any stout stick would do when combating a wolf, I get you want to make the game challenging so.... I thought that the game could include 3-5 night sticks and/or crowbar style wrecking bars tucked away (maybe in a locker or car or even a police car... there are police in rural and wild country Canada right... ?). I thought that as an alternative to creating a bow, you could carve (ax or knife) a cudgel.  With regard to effectiveness with blunt weapons, I think that there at a lot of ways to go here: (1) Keep it simple and just have it do decent impact damage leading to death, (2) have a little depth - less damage (though some real physical damage) PLUS chance to stun and chance to cause wolves to flee. SIDE NOTE: Pry Bar/Wrecking Bar might be used as well... with your current thin bar (maybe half-effective), but a decent wrecking bar of the crow-bar style - solid and heavy would be just as a effective. Anyway....

• CUDGEL & RABBITS - Higher chance to stun and stun time x2 to x3 longer than with stone. Reasonable chance to kill a rabbit outright.
  • CUDGEL & WOLVES - Defensive & Offensive
    • FRIGHTEN & DEFEND SELF - You aim to keep wolf at a distance and focus on faster glancing blows - damage reduced (half or quarter) with fair chance to cause the wolf to flee (based on skill and wolves health - better hunters hurt them more and more injured animals are likely to flee) with a pretty small chance to stun wolves (does not render unconscious) which renders wolves unable to attack and easier to hit for 1-2 seconds (allowing you to land one [Harvesting Skill/Hunters] additional blow or run away from wolf) wolves recovering from a stun must make a fear check at a penalty or flee after recovering from stun. Critical hit results could (1) double chance of stunning or (2) auto stun.
    • FIGHT TO DEATH - You aim to kill the wolf with more powerful blows which cause full damage (slower strikes) with a chance to stun wolves. Critical hit doubles chance (or automatic) to stun and has a chance to render them unconscious. Unconscious wolves can be left alone (and will recover in a little while), killed (with repeated blows of ax, cudgel, or knife or shot with arrow or gun), or killed outright by those with decent HARVESTING SKILL (e.g., brain with cudgel, slit throat or otherwise deliver death in single strike - like with rabbits.

ARM GUARD - While I might never have thought about arm guard on the front end should I have been the downed pilot myself, I can tell you that I would have ABSOLUTELY made one after my first combat with the wolves - again a couple of stout branches wrapped in leather around my forearm to protect my clothes and my arm as the wolf latches onto my arm and I hack (ax), pummel (cudgel), and stab (knife). In terms of game effects, I would suggest the damage to clothing be significantly reduced (though to the arm guard a good amount of damage) and a decent reduction in personal injuries and infection as the arm guard absorbs the blow. In total, I would suggest that arm guards, left unrepaired, last 3 wolf attacks assuming no wolf criticals.

BIG BAD BEARS

When it comes to bears, BEAR COMBAT is just an entirely different level - obviously the effectiveness of a cudgel, night stick, and/or arm guard be much less effectively against an the onslaught of a bear - rendering unconscious - lol - good luck on that - but small chances to daze-frighten (probably more annoy - aka 'stupid human is not worth the effort') and cause the bear to withdraw for a brief time might be reasonable.

ANY HOW.... I continue to love this game and commend all those working on it... KUDOS!!!!

On 6/20/2017 at 5:41 AM, Travell boots said:

Well, in kow it is a computer game but it is not completly unrealism. We produce stuff at the workbench and let´s say we are normal persons without specific knowledge. Even a rookie is clever enough to create a fish-hook of scrap or produce a deer trousers with a sewing kit. Maybe he need many hours and try it more then one time but i´m sure most people on this planet can managed such easy stuff. Now we take a look for the weapon. To use gunpowder without knowledge is dangerous. And a weapon is not just a peace of metal it is a complex mechanism. And then think about we are in a lonely house in the canadian wilderness and must work with primitive tools under primitive conditions. I don´t believe that many people are really can produce a revolver and ammunition in this situation.

I know. Computer games often offers fascinating possibilities like you get a piece of iron and create in the next blacksmith the "dragon slayer sword + 3" but in "The Long Dark" i´m very happy that the craftable items on the workbench are primitive like the conditions we have. So i don´t think it will be a good idea to produce revolver and own ammunition on the workbench.

Now I know it would be unrealistic to create revolver's, but what if it was all up to RNG, like it is with the rifle. And also we can ''scrap'' the idea of creating ammunition.

On 6/19/2017 at 8:52 PM, JAFO said:

A bow, a hatchet, a knife.. then there are the blunt trauma weapons.. heavy hammer, prybar, rocks, fists.

There are other solutions to problems besides using a gun. Something that often tends to escape many of our American cousins, whose only solution to dangerous situations always seems to involve firearms. ;)

Thank You! 

4 hours ago, Carbon said:

A crossbow? Spears have been mentioned many times. A sling / slingshot? Blowgun with darts tips dipped in 0% Pinnacle Peaches? A pit trap? A nail-studded club? A meteor hammer or surujin? Loads of potential candidates.

On 6/19/2017 at 8:52 PM, JAFO said:

That is true. Thank you for that!.

1 hour ago, TygerxEyes said:

In truth, I think that people fail to understand just how much of a challenge creating a modern weapon is... assuming you start from zero (absolute scratch). I do, however, have a bunch of thoughts:

RIFLE ROUNDS - It is possible to make your own rounds though the game would have to add in several materials (copper, lead, and gunpowder at a minimum). It would also require that you have a location where you can cast jackets and smelt lead and create final product. Personally, I like finite bullets (or extremely limited production line).  Obviously, I would limit the ability to create them by requiring a high RIFLE-FIREARM SKILL (and to balance things out - you might have accuracy penalties, decreased damage (especially again bears), increased wear on rifle (requires more cleaning), and increased chance of jam-misfire with self made rounds). Challenge can be increased by requiring high (3+ fire building) and decent cooking (unless you add in a crafting to manage the forge.

CUDGEL (NIGHT STICK) - While I think that any stout stick would do when combating a wolf, I get you want to make the game challenging so.... I thought that the game could include 3-5 night sticks and/or crowbar style wrecking bars tucked away (maybe in a locker or car or even a police car... there are police in rural and wild country Canada right... ?). I thought that as an alternative to creating a bow, you could carve (ax or knife) a cudgel.  With regard to effectiveness with blunt weapons, I think that there at a lot of ways to go here: (1) Keep it simple and just have it do decent impact damage leading to death, (2) have a little depth - less damage (though some real physical damage) PLUS chance to stun and chance to cause wolves to flee. SIDE NOTE: Pry Bar/Wrecking Bar might be used as well... with your current thin bar (maybe half-effective), but a decent wrecking bar of the crow-bar style - solid and heavy would be just as a effective. Anyway....

• CUDGEL & RABBITS - Higher chance to stun and stun time x2 to x3 longer than with stone. Reasonable chance to kill a rabbit outright.
  • CUDGEL & WOLVES - Defensive & Offensive
    • FRIGHTEN & DEFEND SELF - You aim to keep wolf at a distance and focus on faster glancing blows - damage reduced (half or quarter) with fair chance to cause the wolf to flee (based on skill and wolves health - better hunters hurt them more and more injured animals are likely to flee) with a pretty small chance to stun wolves (does not render unconscious) which renders wolves unable to attack and easier to hit for 1-2 seconds (allowing you to land one [Harvesting Skill/Hunters] additional blow or run away from wolf) wolves recovering from a stun must make a fear check at a penalty or flee after recovering from stun. Critical hit results could (1) double chance of stunning or (2) auto stun.
    • FIGHT TO DEATH - You aim to kill the wolf with more powerful blows which cause full damage (slower strikes) with a chance to stun wolves. Critical hit doubles chance (or automatic) to stun and has a chance to render them unconscious. Unconscious wolves can be left alone (and will recover in a little while), killed (with repeated blows of ax, cudgel, or knife or shot with arrow or gun), or killed outright by those with decent HARVESTING SKILL (e.g., brain with cudgel, slit throat or otherwise deliver death in single strike - like with rabbits.

ARM GUARD - While I might never have thought about arm guard on the front end should I have been the downed pilot myself, I can tell you that I would have ABSOLUTELY made one after my first combat with the wolves - again a couple of stout branches wrapped in leather around my forearm to protect my clothes and my arm as the wolf latches onto my arm and I hack (ax), pummel (cudgel), and stab (knife). In terms of game effects, I would suggest the damage to clothing be significantly reduced (though to the arm guard a good amount of damage) and a decent reduction in personal injuries and infection as the arm guard absorbs the blow. In total, I would suggest that arm guards, left unrepaired, last 3 wolf attacks assuming no wolf criticals.

BIG BAD BEARS

When it comes to bears, BEAR COMBAT is just an entirely different level - obviously the effectiveness of a cudgel, night stick, and/or arm guard be much less effectively against an the onslaught of a bear - rendering unconscious - lol - good luck on that - but small chances to daze-frighten (probably more annoy - aka 'stupid human is not worth the effort') and cause the bear to withdraw for a brief time might be reasonable.

ANY HOW.... I continue to love this game and commend all those working on it... KUDOS!!!!

Thank you for your very in-depth reply, and you really helped us to realize that there is more than one option.

5 hours ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

People in real life that craft their own bullets buy the already shaped and jacketed lead. This needs almost computer precision. If a muzzleloader were added, you could *maybe* shape some round shot. But muzzleloaders are clumsy and inconvenient, especially in the heat of the moment. They take a decent amount of time to reload, which is a problem when you have a charging bear. There's a good chance that they won't even fire, so unless they were preloaded, they are useless.

IF you could make a rifle round, you would need to find a metal to jacket the lead. Lead is soft and easily warped, especially under extreme heat (ex. firing the gun) . Jacketing the lead would be nearly impossible as well, seeing that you would have to seamlessly cover the lead with a thin layer of metal (the normal choice is copper). All this precision leads up to a) the bullet even functioning when fired, and b) the bullet making it to your target smoothly. Even computer made bullets travel in a slow spiral shape if you watch closely. 

I don't want to shoot your idea down , I even suggested more firearms once, but in order to make this game hard, guns and bullets should be at a minimum. It's why there are no guns in Interloper. They already make the game easy, and can you imagine how much easier the game would be with several types of firearms? You can find up to two or more rifles in Mystery Lake alone! Imagine having two or three more kinds of firearms in Mystery Lake, each with two or more of its kind? I would almost be sick! I love the feeling of relief I get when I catch sight of a gun, but it would be spoiled by adding more guns. 

Your ideas are always welcome and appreciated on the forums, but with every idea, expect cynical b#stards like me to put in their  two cents. Just remember never to take it personally.

Thank You for the kind words.

11 minutes ago, Travell boots said:

i hope Hinterland create weapons like a nail gun. Also the nail gun and nails just as items which you can find and not produce at workbench.

Nail guns are typically pneumatic and/or electric, right? How would you power it?

4 hours ago, TygerxEyes said:

This suggestion I really, really like. @Patrick Carlson, please pass this one along to the team for consideration!

1 minute ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Perhaps in the Accessory slot?

Sounds perfect!

(And it's not about "combat".. it's about self-defence. After all, dog/wolf bites are nasty things.. if you know there's a good chance you're going to get torn up, wouldn't you try to protect yourself to whatever extent you can?)

Archived