Rope climbing weight restrictions

piddy3825

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

My only other experiences are with Oolite (14 years an Indy game, and still going strong!) and Kerbal Space Program. Dealing with the developers of both are far more pleasurable experiences than with Hinterland.

I fully agree.. heck, I was one of the people suggesting it. Just wanted to indicate to @Thrasador that they were far from the first person to come up with the idea, and that Hinterland were surely aware of it. ;)

Oh gotcha :) It sure would be nice to get that though, even if just for the harder modes like Stalker and Interloper. It wouldn't have to be much of an animation to add. It could be just like a transfer where we just add stuff to the rope, and then it's just down there on the snow later, lol, idk?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my opinion.

At first, the restrictions pissed me off when it comes to "climbing down", but it makes sense, and it makes climbing more challenging, which is in my opinion great. I used to go climbing a few years back, and I'd not dare to climb with full gear in winter conditions, being barely a beginner climber. So I think the restrictions make sense.

As far as "climbing down mountains" - seems

people call it an exploit, I disagree - survival is mostly about weighing risks and rewards, and about finding alternate ways to solve problems.  It provides pros to climbing down a rope: it's faster, you get tired less, and you can bring more loot down, but also has cons: it is more dangerous since one can slip and take fall damage, even start bleeding or tear their clothes, and it's not always possible to scale the mountain close to the rope. 
If any change, I'd make it impossible to land on any cliff that's ranging from 80 degrees to 90 degrees. The player shouldn't be a mountain goat.

Would like sending packs down the rope as well, as yet another alternate way to solve that issue.

On 15. 7. 2017 at 5:09 AM, Thrasador said:

I wouldn't even ride the horse, he'd be a pack horse. Maybe the horse can drag an improvised sled....

I do hope that rumor about a horse is a joke, horse in those conditions would not survive for long and the idea of taking care of one in survival conditions is even more absurd... why shouldn't the player drag the sled himself/herself? Been done that way for centuries. It would work similarly to being encumbered, but the player would also be unable to hold any weapons while dragging the sled, meaning they would be exposed to animal attacks more. The sled could provide simpler way down the mountain, but going up, on the other hand, would be far more taxing I imagine. But that's going off-topic.

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

I fully agree.. heck, I was one of the people suggesting it. Just wanted to indicate to @Thrasador that they were far from the first person to come up with the idea, and that Hinterland were surely aware of it. ;)

I have been made aware that every "good" idea for this game has been brought up already over the last three years.

From encumbrance, to sleds, to tying your pack to the rope, to more crafting of clothes, curing hide weight reduction, crafting with rocks, flint, bones, smoking and salting food, making spears, starving, muscle gains, muscle loss, sweating, snow blindness....everything has been suggested.

As far as the horse....that one wasn't my idea. I also don't know how we would keep a horse alive without food and water for the horse, and the wolves eating it, and it freezing to death. The horse I though was a Hinterland idea....THEY said we might get a horse....I'm pretty sure.

I'm fine with a sled that isn't alive and I just have to repair sometimes. I can't have a sled....but on the plus side we might get a horse to take care of even though we can barely take care of ourselves in The Long Dark....maybe that can carry stuff for me....

11 hours ago, Thrasador said:

As far as the horse....that one wasn't my idea. I also don't know how we would keep a horse alive without food and water for the horse, and the wolves eating it, and it freezing to death. The horse I though was a Hinterland idea....THEY said we might get a horse....I'm pretty sure.

I have the feeling it appeared in one of the roadmaps at some point.

35 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I have the feeling it appeared in one of the roadmaps at some point.

I could have sworn I recently read about it in a thread somewhere with a post from a Hinterland staff person...it could have been a Steam thread. I don't remember where I read it, but when I did I remember feeling relieved because I figure the horse can carry stuff, lol.

I wouldn't mind if you could rarely come across a "run-away" husky who would be starving and slightly hostile to the player, and the player was able to pacify it with meat and "tame" him/her, and then later use that said husky to drag the sled. (the world is in an apocalypse, I can imagine some dogs would retreat out of hunger into the wilderness with no one taking care of them)

It would be much more feasible to "take care" of a dog than a horse. It would just mean hunting for more meat and making more water, and I imagine dogs would be able to live drinking untreated water. But I think they don't want to do dogs because then the community would require them to allow dogs to participate in hunting etc and I don't think they want to go with the game this way.

5 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I wouldn't mind if you could rarely come across a "run-away" husky who would be starving and slightly hostile to the player, and the player was able to pacify it with meat and "tame" him/her, and then later use that said husky to drag the sled. (the world is in an apocalypse, I can imagine some dogs would retreat out of hunger into the wilderness with no one taking care of them)

It would be much more feasible to "take care" of a dog than a horse. It would just mean hunting for more meat and making more water, and I imagine dogs would be able to live drinking untreated water. But I think they don't want to do dogs because then the community would require them to allow dogs to participate in hunting etc and I don't think they want to go with the game this way.

Taming of wolves/wild dogs requested multiple times historically...

I agree however, a dog is much easier to care for than a horse...so saying no to dogs and yes to horses is a bit...:S

1 minute ago, Thrasador said:

Taming of wolves/wild dogs requested multiple times historically...

I agree however, a dog is much easier to care for than a horse...so saying no to dogs and yes to horses is a bit...:S

Taming indicates the animal was wild in the first place. I am talking about a runaway dog who ran off into the woods because it was not fed in the town anymore, assuming its previous owner got killed and there was no one to take care of that dog. 

I can understand why they don't want the dogs - because if dogs were introduced, people will demand that the dogs can be used to hunt, making hunting for deer or rabbit a very easy task. Horses would be a strange choice. I can imagine 4 dogs (talking about big Huskies) would be enough to drag a sled with player if player had skis equipped. This would make more sense as a "vehicle" than a horse.

Just now, Thrasador said:

The dog sled was laughed out of the forums too, much to my dismay.

The devs and The Long Dark superfans just don't want you to be able to carry your belongings easily...PERIOD!

That's how I'm reading it...

Fine, no carrying option, just skis and a dog sled for transportation - still makes more sense than a horse. Dammit a moose makes more sense to ride in the arctic than a horse.

And let's end this discussion here because we are very off-topic. (well I guess not that much because we are still discussing alternative methods of traveling)

6 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Fine, no carrying option, just skis and a dog sled for transportation - still makes more sense than a horse. Dammit a moose makes more sense to ride in the arctic than a horse.

And let's end this discussion here because we are very off-topic. (well I guess not that much because we are still discussing alternative methods of traveling)

It's cool, sorry to sound so jaded, lol. I have just read so many forum posts of potentially good ideas being shot down by angry fans...that I simply don't bother posting most of my ideas anymore, lol.

Like I said, and JAFO has mentioned to me a few times, over the past three years anything that has been even a remotely decent idea has been suggested in the wish list historically. The devs are gonna do what they are gonna do, and we are along for the ride.

Feel free to ask or suggest whatever you wish, I just don't want you to get frustrated or upset when a bunch of people nay-say you. It happens...

Basically just brace yourself for at least five people to totally disagree with you...and if that happens just say "ok" and walk. There's no point in getting upset over people in the forums not agreeing with your good ideas. And I am not trying to say you would....I was just trying to mentally prepare you....

On 7/28/2017 at 0:38 AM, Thrasador said:

Feel free to ask or suggest whatever you wish, I just don't want you to get frustrated or upset when a bunch of people nay-say you. It happens...

Also, just because some people, or even a majority of them disagree with you, doesn't make your idea a bad one. Often, those nay-sayers are looking at it from a gameplay balance perspective:

"Would this make things too easy?" "What are the negative impacts it could have?" "Do the costs of this mechanic balance the advantages?" And so on.

For instance, take the example recently under discussion. Dogs vs horses. Having a dog companion would make survival considerably easier, for very little cost. Sure, you'd have to share a bit of your meat and water, but the dog would make getting meat easier. Overall cost to the player, very low. A horse, on the other hand, would make moving around easier, but at a significant cost in terms of feeding, watering, and caring for it (they eat and drink a lot, and need to be kept warm). You'd also have to defend it from predators. Unlike the dog, the advantages are balanced by the disadvantages.

Which is why, if I were asked to choose which of the two were introduced to the game, I'd go with the horse, no matter how much I'd like to have a dog with me.

Archived