Scary Wolves

CalNieDaGtarGuy

25 minutes ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

Yeah, I'm playing keyboard and mouse, but I haven't tried switching stuff around yet.

@CalNieDaGtarGuy I found this solution to "controls not working:"

Could you try this please.

Try deleting your "user001" file. NOTE: It will reset your key bindings. It wont affect your save file. For PC it can be found at C:\Users\(Computer Name)\AppData\LocalLow\Hinterland\The Long Dark. The app data folder is hidden by default, so you will either have to unhide it or search in the locallow in the windows app bar.

For MAC its Users/(Computer Name)/Library/Caches/Hinterland/The Long Dark. In this case Library is hidden.

We are working on a fix so this is needed but this should help.

Jeremy

Try that....

PS I think they changed the location from local low to just local. So look there instead....

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Forlorn Muskeg for the first time last night. A couple days was all I could take. Today I came down off the hill, fell in the damn ice again on the way to the tracks, and as I was approaching the Poacher's train car, I saw some wolves prowling around out on the ice to my right. They started howling, and it sent a shiver down my spine.

110 days in, and they can still do that to me.

Great job, Hinterland... Great job....

27 minutes ago, Rada_ said:

Today I went out in a Stalker run hoping to find a bear to repair my bedroll. I came across six wolves in total, plus the bear.

I thought it would be cool to share it in this thread.

Be killin predators like a BOSS!

Today i've had my first wolf attack, but the thing i didn't understand was about throwing the torch/flare, because it didn't work in my first 2 attempts. Do they have to be so close to you? Because it wasn't too far from me, it was strafing at me. Or do i need to keep the torch until he tries to attack me. The bad thing is that i was carrying a lot of things to my base so it went difficult for a while to loose sight of him and run, and the other one is that i only had the hatchet and hunting knife but no weapons.

And man, for a moment i felt demotivated because my gloves and my wool toque torn :/ so it became easier to get cold again.

6 hours ago, IsVaz said:

Today i've had my first wolf attack, but the thing i didn't understand was about throwing the torch/flare, because it didn't work in my first 2 attempts. Do they have to be so close to you? Because it wasn't too far from me, it was strafing at me. Or do i need to keep the torch until he tries to attack me. The bad thing is that i was carrying a lot of things to my base so it went difficult for a while to loose sight of him and run, and the other one is that i only had the hatchet and hunting knife but no weapons.

And man, for a moment i felt demotivated because my gloves and my wool toque torn :/ so it became easier to get cold again.

To be honest, I haven't had much success with it myself, and I have seen others failing with it in videos too. Brandishing seemed to work far better. I prefer the bait method with or without shooting the wolf. Obviously I'd prefer not wasting the bait and shooting the wolf, but with no bow or gun, bait has a better chance of geting rid of the wolf without a fight. Better than a torch or flare currently does.....

16 hours ago, Thrasador said:

To be honest, I haven't had much success with it myself, and I have seen others failing with it in videos too. Brandishing seemed to work far better. I prefer the bait method with or without shooting the wolf. Obviously I'd prefer not wasting the bait and shooting the wolf, but with no bow or gun, bait has a better chance of geting rid of the wolf without a fight. Better than a torch or flare currently does.....

Yes, i prefer that too, but the reason i went with that option was because it was my last resort, i wasn't well prepared for the situation. So now i learned more about it and now i'll be more carefull until y get the material for the bow and arrows. 

Btw, I did my "research" and I guess you can scare him when it gets closer but you must hit him with the torch, as shown in this video at 25:02. The video is recent, so is according to the last update. Gonna go try it myself too.

27 minutes ago, IsVaz said:

Yes, i prefer that too, but the reason i went with that option was because it was my last resort, i wasn't well prepared for the situation. So now i learned more about it and now i'll be more carefull until y get the material for the bow and arrows. 

Btw, I did my "research" and I guess you can scare him when it gets closer but you must hit him with the torch, as shown in this video at 25:02. The video is recent, so is according to the last update. Gonna go try it myself too.

Seen it, that's a GrayStillPlays video...I watch all his The Long Dark stuff....I keep asking him to make more videos in the comments of his non-The Long Dark videos, lol.

Of course the torch throwing works for Gray, him and Geltaz are like Jedi Grand Masters of the game. Everything they do is win! Us lowly novice players get eaten by Fluffy when we throw fire at him.

Actually my current playthrough I went down to fight Fluffy naked and with a knife. He came at me when I was standing in the hallway exit to the lower dam generator room where he wanders around. Somehow that glitched Fluffy out because we turned sideways making it so Fluffy was like inside the wall. So the fight ended in half a second. I took no damage at all, and Fluffy died of blood loss incredibly fast. So I cooked him and ate him....:P

20 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Fluffy died of blood loss incredibly fast. So I cooked him and ate him....:P

Just so you're aware, Fluffy is widely regarded as a 'her'... ;)

(Alpha females are the real badasses of the wolf pack)

• 1 month later...

So, since this got bumped, can add my two cents on a discussion about "how much FA supplies one needs"

After over a hundred wolf struggles, I have not once needed more then a single bandage per wolf attack, in all versions of the game I played - on a Voyager mode.
In Stalker, you will often need more - because their bites seem to give, for example, two infection risks at the same time. So on Stalker, pack more FA items like bandages or antiseptical equipment.

But in Voyager, one should be okay for a long trip with no more then 3 bandages and OMB bindings.

As for getting used to wolves - one can always use baits to call them to himself, and dispatch of them safely by shooting them before they take the bait... but with Cartographer and stones, one can also move them around using the stones to send them somewhere else.

6 minutes ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

Actually, Wintermute got me over my fear since you had to face the inevitable in order to move forward. I have since been able to headshot nearly every wolf I see. Looking forward to the addition of moose and beyond!

I'm glad you got past the fear of wolves finally. I did too!

I view them as more of a nuisance now, something I have to go deal with....but I'm no longer afraid of having to deal with them.

Especially with bait and a bow or rifle (usually bow because it's lighter and I have loot hoarding issues). I carry a couple small pieces of cooked leftover meat pretty regularly. Then if I hear barking I drop a piece and back up. When I see the wolf going for the bait, I shoot it in the face....

No more fear....

I still do my best to avoid them, especially if I'm not looking for meat/hide/guts, and I'm on my way to/from somewhere that I have to go for some other business in the game. However, if I fail to avoid them and they see me, then I just take care of them....

The game feels even more fun to me now that I am not constantly in fear of wolf attacks everywhere I go....

8 hours ago, JAFO said:

From all accounts so far, it looks like Fluffy has definitely "moved on".. (whatever Raphael meant by that..)

I believe Fluffy is dead....

In Episode 2 when you go to Carter Dam and explore it to get Jerimiah meds, the corridor that you used to take to get down to the room with the big generators (the generators that you can see from the control room windows) is blocked with a metal gate and rocks on the other side. 

Later in Episode 2 when you are able to get to the big generator area via an alternate path, if you go to the other side of the corridor blocked with rocks there is a dead wolf carcass near the rocks.

I believe the dead wolf is probably supposed to be Fluffy....

Wolves are not nearly as scary with some knowledge and watching other's play and getting tips.

I start my Voyager runs from FM now so I can get to the spence homeplace and craft arrowheads for hunting wolves specifically.

I nearly knocked my laptop into the floor playing the first run through of winter mute going over the bridge in the dark and getting wolf jumped, as well as the church wolf! In sandbox I never walk at night, but I didn't know if it was timed or not or something. Last time I walked in a blizzard at night. 

Truly it's as easy as it can be with the bow and some bait = dead wolves. Yes they respawn but keeping them thinned out helps from those run ins. The aggro gets turned off and you can line them up as long as they are going for the bait. Plus is in Voyager no intestinal parasites! Wolf kabobs all around!

:wolf::fire:

Just now, Mike in GA said:

Wolves are not nearly as scary with some knowledge and watching other's play and getting tips.

I start my Voyager runs from FM now so I can get to the spence homeplace and craft arrowheads for hunting wolves specifically right off the bat.

I nearly knocked my laptop into the floor playing the first run through of wintermute going over the bridge in the dark and getting wolf jumped, as well as the church wolf! In sandbox I never walk at night, but I didn't know if it was timed or not or something. Was the last time I walked in a blizzard at night. 

Truly it's as easy as it can be with the bow and some bait = dead wolves. You use the rifle, but arrows are multi-use, bullets are not. Yes they respawn but keeping them thinned out helps to lessen those run ins. The aggro gets turned off and you can line them up as long as they are going for the bait. Plus is in Voyager no intestinal parasites! Wolf kabobs all around!

:wolf::fire:

Best way to deal with the wolves is to give them a wide berth. Its possible, and the more you play, the better you become at it. The wolf "spawns" are stagnant per each individual game - so when you are exploring the game, keep a note of where you saw the wolves and where not. In that particular game save, you will only ever run into the wolves in those areas you just saw - the rest of them will be safe. Use this knowledge to charter yourself safe passage ways that dont involve running into wolf infested areas. If you do all of this, you will only ever have to deal with wolves when entering their infested areas in order to get loot out of those areas (like quonset garage) - but if you dont want to deal with wolves, you can also just wait for a blizzard to come in, which clears the wolves out, and you can take a bit of blizzard damage on your chin and loot these risky areas without having to deal with wolves.

Some paths will require you to go through wolf territories - if you know where these territories are, just be careful, dont lug much meat with you and use stones to direct them away, and you will be fine. Worst issue with wolves is that you can accidentaly run into them - then conflict will likely be inevitable. Which is why I suggest to be always mindful of your surroundings first.

Be smart and dont go gathering wood or hunting for deer in wolf infested areas - pick hunting and gathering spots in a safe area, even if it may involve a bit longer walk. 

Dont waste your energy when you know you will be going through a wolf territory.

Follow these tips and you will find wolves to be very easy to deal with, predictable yet sometimes also neccesary risk in the game.

• 5 months later...
On 6/19/2017 at 7:58 AM, Crocket said:

Travel with some guts to use as a decoy. If you keep your distance, and use sprint sparingly/wisely you need never fight wolves unless you happen to get jumped cresting a hill or something. That and you could focus on maxing your cooking skill so that you can survive off the meat, which makes the bait + bow combo a foundation of survival on late game stalker/loper runs. Become the hunter, not the hunted!

I know it's been the better part of a year since you posted this, but would you care to go into more detail on the bait/bow combo? It'd really help not to have to Buffalo-Bill all the fucking wolves in my vicinity, wasting all my ammo and just generally making a stereotype of myself.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2017 at 9:19 AM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I mentioned it on a thread, but thought I'd get some help here. Being an all-around scaredy-cat, I tend to dread entering known wolf spawn areas. I just feel safer snuggled up inside, but that quickly gets boring. Does anyone have any advice on how to drop kick this fear so I can enjoy the game more fully?

Yeah so, I nearly got Wolf PTSD from the game. Now I play a custom Survival mode and make the wolves scared of me unless provoked. It's a work-around, not a cure for fear. The only time the wolves aren't scared of me this way is when they're starving and protecting their kill (but sometimes they aren't hungry enough to stand their ground).

Archived