(Interloper) Temperature Drop too harsh.

WalleyeGuy83

By day 50 it's -45c outside before dusk (warmest time of day).

This is a problem. Even in full crafted gear sitting at +20ish to feels like, you still freeze so fast you can't get anything done. It forces you to hide all day in a cave or something and destroys the gameplay.

On top of that, with the temperatures being so low it makes your gear mean almost nothing. Why not just wear the bare minimums to cover up for frostbite?

• Upvote 3

'Fully equipped' is a very relative term in TLD. In max. warmth Interloper gear (including 2 bear coats), the feels like temperature during the warmest hours of the day under late-game Interloper conditions is indeed sth between 0 and -15 ºC depending on the map. Which I personally find appropriate. It's the core feature of Interloper that your greatest enemy there is the cold and not wildlife.  ;)

4 hours ago, WalleyeGuy83 said:

Is two bear skin coats at day 50 even doable?

With huge luck, yes. First, you need a bow. Second - 4 bears. It's a matter of  about 4 days to kill 4 bears. There are 1 in DP, 3 in CH, 2 or 3 in PV and ML.

The hardest point is to be flawless. I have a poorly tested strategy. Crouch to a bear. When it notices you, it raises on hind legs so you can shoot it in the heart from relatively close distance. One arrow is enough. The overheads of curing and crafting (knife, bow, skins, coat) - about 30 days.

I don't bother with max warmth clothing in interloper, too heavy!  And I never get cabin fever risk either.  My solution is to hang in places with enough warm buildings that I can nip inside and pass time for a few minutes to warm up (Esc is my best friend!), then back outside to resume outdoor chores.

13 hours ago, chuckie said:

The hardest point is to be flawless. I have a poorly tested strategy. Crouch to a bear. When it notices you, it raises on hind legs so you can shoot it in the heart from relatively close distance. One arrow is enough.

How's your success rate?

Interloper is great at showing players the underused mechanics.  Extreme cold is great at getting you to stop relying on clothes to solve all your warming needs.

Hint: build warming fires periodically (and enjoy a warm drink while you're at it.)

Edited by selfless
  • Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, selfless said:

Interloper is great at showing players the underused mechanics.  Extreme cold is great at getting you to stop relying on clothes to solve all your waning needs.

Hint: build warming fires periodically (and enjoy a warm drink while you're at it.)

Having never tried Interloper yet, the thing that makes me wonder is, how heavily does this strategy impact your fire-making supplies?

7 hours ago, selfless said:

Interloper is great at showing players the underused mechanics.  Extreme cold is great at getting you to stop relying on clothes to solve all your warming needs.

If you find the mag lens, then this is a possibility but typically matches in loper are a premium item and cannot be spent every time you get to the point of freezing; they just won't last more than a day or two. Even the mag lens is a roll of the dice, what with blizzards and overcast days also being prevalent.

Having a bedroll and trying to find wind-sheltered areas to sleep for an hour along your route in the daytime is a useful strat.

Edited by Carbon
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, selfless said:

As for me, never make a fire in loper just to warm up. When it's -20, a huge amount of fuel is needed to overcome that temp, and matches should be saved too. Make fire + warm a drink takes nearly the same time as making it to a shelter.

• Upvote 2

I'm trying again. I'm on day 10 and my heads, knives and hatchet are crafted. Looted everything except ML and TWM in hopes of finding the uncraftable gear slots. Gonna rush my arrows and get straight to bear hunting. I think Wool Longjohns need to be added to loper loot because those slots are nearly impossible to fill. Over all my loper games I rarely see longjohns and never wool.

2 hours ago, Carbon said:

If you find the mag lens, then this is a possibility but typically matches in loper are a premium item and cannot be spent every time you get to the point of freezing; they just won't last more than a day or two. Even the mag lens is a roll of the dice, what with blizzards and overcast days also being prevalent.

Having a bedroll and trying to find wind-sheltered areas to sleep for an hour along your route in the daytime is a useful strat.

Or simply pass time in the bedroll (or a bed) to warm up - sleep optional.  And spending the entire hour warming is definitely optional.

Mag lens is quite reliable if you are willing to stockpile a few days of cooked food and water.  Just plan ahead a little bit and save the matches for emergencies.  And travel... although torches make even travel less reliant on matches.

2 hours ago, chuckie said:

As for me, never make a fire in loper just to warm up. When it's -20, a huge amount of fuel is needed to overcome that temp, and matches should be saved too. Make fire + warm a drink takes nearly the same time as making it to a shelter.

Same for me, when I'm in a region with lots of shelters. Hot drinks give the greatest benefit when you are fully warmed up and headed out into the cold.  But I do stop to build a fire, warm up and make hot drinks outdoors when I'm traveling in areas without a convenient fixed-temp shelter.

20 hours ago, selfless said:

kinda tough if you don't find the holy magnifying glass of eternal fire +1.

Alright so here's how it went:

Day 1 - Started at TWM, went to PV looting everything along the way.
Day 4 - Arrived at CH, full clear there too, save the fishing village.
Day 10 - 20 Arrowheads, 1 Hatchet, 2 Knives crafted at Riken, full clear for loot and I got a bedroll from the wolf cave.
Day 12 - Arrived at ML, immediately started with rabbits and got 4 pelts & guts curing.
Day 13 - No luck thus far for maple so I needed to devote everything to it until I found one.
Day 14 - Found maple.
Day 20 - Bow and arrows crafted, killed 4 wolves and 2 deer over 2 days.
Day 23 - Two bears downed and hides curing by end of day. One Bearskin coat accounted for! (Trapper and Pond both spawned bears)

Two bearskin coats is definitely achievable before day 50, now I need to see if it's enough...

I got pretty lucky on headgear, two wool toques, but no thermal underwear anywhere.

Edit: Oh, and there's a corpse in my Cabin. Thanks HL. =)

Edited by WalleyeGuy83
Forgot to mention Dave.
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, continuity said:

I typically come across two magnifying lens in an Interloper sandbox.  There's often one in the zone you start in, plus another in ML. And maybe another in one of the other interloper starting zones.

Edited by Ruruwawa

6 hours ago, continuity said:

Not a single of my interloper runs ended because of lack of matches. If not lit fire 5 times a day, matches are sufficient. On the other hand, I often find glass but have a rare chance to use it - no sun when it is needed.

And yes, I understand that you criticize the idea of 'build warming fires periodically', me too.

Edited by chuckie

It's cheesy but not to an extreme degree, lure the bear to a place where you can dive for cover after firing your shot. For Trapper I used the little nook part of the broken down barn (where you have to crouch to enter). For Pond I used the blind.

Bears will follow you around endlessly if you let them keep up, they're curious I guess?

Once you get them bleeding try your best to keep up, I lost the Pond one for several hours but I spotted him finally, dead.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

i think interloper temps are fine.  its frustrating early as you build your 'loper outfit' and get geared up, but thats the fun, the challenge.  once fully geared you can strategically perform any outdoor activities needed.  i do miss voyageur sometimes, being able to travel at will and spend an entire day outside chopping real fire wood.  interloper is more of a practice in efficiency.  grabbing 15 sticks on a run from warmth to warmth, resting to warm up then completing the tasks as possible.