Saved world state

Tbone555

Yknow what would be pretty awesome, in my opinion?

If you had the option to start a new game with the previous world state. like, so that all the stuff your previous survivor did is still existing in a new game, and the loot is still missing from when you took it in the last game.

In this world state, you could be able to find and loot your survivors body, however for only a certain percentage of the loot you actually had on you at at the moment of death, to avoid exploiting. and in an immersion standpoint, you can simply assume that another survivor already picked the body over and took what they needed before you found it. on your previous body you might also be able to find and read your journal as a collectible.

Then again, I suppose it can still be exploited. say, if someone wanted to leave a stash for their next survivor they'd be free to do so and it'd still be there in a new game. that's the only problem I see with it. just had that idea randomly, let me know what yall think :)

I don't now how somebody can "exploit" a sandbox game. When playing a sandbox i don't want any restrictions. I want to make my world suitable for my character.

Take Terraria as an example of sandbox games - you can have infinite characters and visit infinite worlds. And nobody calls it an exploit.

11 hours ago, LeeHarveyOslik said:

I don't now how somebody can "exploit" a sandbox game. When playing a sandbox i don't want any restrictions. I want to make my world suitable for my character.

Take Terraria as an example of sandbox games - you can have infinite characters and visit infinite worlds. And nobody calls it an exploit.

Well that's true.

Way 2 easy to exploit.

Start game, loot stuff, stash stuff, die, restart, do some more looting, and repeat whole process. Its like unlimited lives, but each time you start with some extra stuff and in perfect condition. Die 10 times and you already have a pile of basic stuff that you stashed, without looting anything.

7 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Way 2 easy to exploit.

Start game, loot stuff, stash stuff, die, restart, do some more looting, and repeat whole process. Its like unlimited lives, but each time you start with some extra stuff and in perfect condition. Die 10 times and you already have a pile of basic stuff that you stashed, without looting anything.

This is an issue that I brought up myself in the post. but as Lee up there stated, you can't really "exploit" a sandbox game :P

Besides, any true to heart, serious long dark player would use this feature as an immersion tool rather than exploit it.

I think I see what you are getting at here... 

So, by looting your own corpse and stuff you're essentially saying that we are starting over as a different person trapped in The Long Dark. You aren't really exploiting it, but more so completing the circle. 

I like it. It would add more in-depth story to the sandbox itself, but it would be completely tailored by you, the player. 

+1

5 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

This is an issue that I brought up myself in the post. but as Lee up there stated, you can't really "exploit" a sandbox game :P

Besides, any true to heart, serious long dark player would use this feature as an immersion tool rather than exploit it.

Yes, you can. As compared to Terraria, with its unlimited worlds and with most basic needs, that makes it completely irrelevant on this issue, tLD sandbox has limited resources and their management is important, especially early in game, when player has next to nothing.

I can start new game, scout a bit, then stash all my starting stuff somewhere, die, respawn and repeat it as many time as needed. So, if im really into it, after couple of days of non-stop respawning i can have a whole supermarket worth of food, basic clothing and matches from starting stuff alone, without looting anything.

And pls spare me this "no true scotsman" fallacy, its irrelevant. There are ton of critical exploits in this, game, starting from sticks falling always in same direction and being immovable by wind and ending with ability to eat just once a day like 400-500 calories and be completely ok, that absolutely everyone used in the past and many still use to this day. There is no such thing as "true" Long Dark player, there are those who play it and those who dont.

Unless every time player respawns in same world they start with empty inventory and reset of all stats, player can exploit the crap out of it.

8 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Yes, you can. As compared to Terraria, with its unlimited worlds and with most basic needs, that makes it completely irrelevant on this issue, tLD sandbox has limited resources and their management is important, especially early in game, when player has next to nothing.

I can start new game, scout a bit, then stash all my starting stuff somewhere, die, respawn and repeat it as many time as needed. So, if im really into it, after couple of days of non-stop respawning i can have a whole supermarket worth of food, basic clothing and matches from starting stuff alone, without looting anything.

And pls spare me this "no true scotsman" fallacy, its irrelevant. There are ton of critical exploits in this, game, starting from sticks falling always in same direction and being immovable by wind and ending with ability to eat just once a day like 400-500 calories and be completely ok, that absolutely everyone used in the past and many still use to this day. There is no such thing as "true" Long Dark player, there are those who play it and those who dont.

Unless every time player respawns in same world they start with empty inventory and reset of all stats, player can exploit the crap out of it.

It's as simple as "don't like an exploit, don't use it."

This game has many exploits already. all of which, I personally avoid.

On 6/16/2017 at 9:36 AM, Tbone555 said:

Yknow what would be pretty awesome, in my opinion?

If you had the option to start a new game with the previous world state. like, so that all the stuff your previous survivor did is still existing in a new game, and the loot is still missing from when you took it in the last game.

In this world state, you could be able to find and loot your survivors body, however for only a certain percentage of the loot you actually had on you at at the moment of death, to avoid exploiting. and in an immersion standpoint, you can simply assume that another survivor already picked the body over and took what they needed before you found it. on your previous body you might also be able to find and read your journal as a collectible.

Then again, I suppose it can still be exploited. say, if someone wanted to leave a stash for their next survivor they'd be free to do so and it'd still be there in a new game. that's the only problem I see with it. just had that idea randomly, let me know what yall think :)

I'm not sure I understand....

If you're talking about re-starting your character, why not just continue with the character that you're currently playing as? No point in starting fresh if your character already has all of that equipment

12 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

I'm not sure I understand....

If you're talking about re-starting your character, why not just continue with the character that you're currently playing as? No point in starting fresh if your character already has all of that equipment

I said that your corpse would not have ALL of the equipment you were previous carrying. only a small fraction of it.

it's from a role play perspective. you die, then jump into the shoes of another survivor in the same world 

13 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

It's as simple as "don't like an exploit, don't use it."

This game has many exploits already. all of which, I personally avoid.

The fact that neither you nor i dont use it, dosnt mean that it cant be a problem.

Why do you think that this idiotic Cabin Fever got implemented ? As players were getting extremely high survival durations by simply hibernating non-stop. So, instead of changing how scores work, devs came up with this *censored*.

Not to mention that if all of current critical exploits would be fixed, it would drastically change how game is played. And allow devs to make changes where needed, instead of dancing around those exploits and "fixing" completely irrelevant stuff.

1 hour ago, Dirmagnos said:

The fact that neither you nor i dont use it, dosnt mean that it cant be a problem.

Why do you think that this idiotic Cabin Fever got implemented ? As players were getting extremely high survival durations by simply hibernating non-stop. So, instead of changing how scores work, devs came up with this *censored*.

Not to mention that if all of current critical exploits would be fixed, it would drastically change how game is played. And allow devs to make changes where needed, instead of dancing around those exploits and "fixing" completely irrelevant stuff.

First off, I'd appreciate if you acted a bit more calm. while you haven't said anything particularly offensive, I can't say I like your general attitude. please keep things civil, thanks.

Just keep in mind that this is a sandbox game, tailored by the player. there are no online leader boards, no competitions or challenges currently going on. as far as exploiting goes, while I don't agree with it, I can't see how it really makes any difference whether people do or don't do it. there's no reason to get so worked up over it.

Anyway, if exploiting is your major turn-off to this idea, then how about we try to come up with a way to fix the possibility of an exploit in a way that still let's this idea work? any ideas?

21 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

Anyway, if exploiting is your major turn-off to this idea, then how about we try to come up with a way to fix the possibility of an exploit in a way that still let's this idea work? any ideas?

As a part of my job, I work with software developers and have an understanding for how development plays out in practicality. 

In my opinion, a so called game "exploit", is really just unfinished or uncompleted code.  A gamer should be able to utilize every single available strategy, in order to succeed in a game - and not have to abide by unwritten rules.

7 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

In my opinion, a so called game "exploit", is really just unfinished or uncompleted code.  A gamer should be able to utilize every single available strategy, in order to succeed in a game - and not have to abide by unwritten rules.

Exploit is something that doesnt work as intended, but can be used for benefit of player. Code is finished and complete, it is just hard to foresee every possible usage of feature and possible outcomes.

And you do understand that "gamer should be able to utilize every single available strategy" crap also applies to cheating ? Ive seen this rather shortsighted excuse so many times, that its painful. As "Its not a bug, its a feature" is favorite excuse of every lazy developer, then "if it can be done in game, then its legit" is favorite excuse of every loser(im referring in general, not you specifically).

As every possible hack is only possible because game has resources that allow it. Aside of what game allows player to do, some common sense should be applied as well.

I think this is a pretty cool concept.. H1Z1 used to have something like this, on death your corpse would reanimate. An NPC zombie with a portion of your gear after some quality loss would roam around your death location. It was lots of fun to hunt down your zombie self. Alternatively, I think it'd be a fun mini-game to navigate back to a frozen corpse in your death location. As for the hoarding of gear, I think that's an option best left up to the player.. If you want to pick up where you left off, so be it. You do you.

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Dirmagnos said:

I had no idea that was why "idiotic cabin fever got implemented." I though maybe the developers implemented it because it is an actual psychological affliction that occurs to people who continually live a solitary existence in an enclosed environment for an extended period of time. So it's kinda realistic....which I think is what the devs are going for, and it's kind of a fun idea too.

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Tbone555 said:

First off, I'd appreciate if you acted a bit more calm. while you haven't said anything particularly offensive, I can't say I like your general attitude. please keep things civil, thanks.

Just keep in mind that this is a sandbox game, tailored by the player. there are no online leader boards, no competitions or challenges currently going on. as far as exploiting goes, while I don't agree with it, I can't see how it really makes any difference whether people do or don't do it. there's no reason to get so worked up over it.

I don't know that Dirmagnos can be calm or nice. He seems to only find enjoyment from peeing in other people's wheeties. I'm not even sure why he spends so much time reading the forums, as anyone who doesn't play The Long Dark the way he plays it i.e. "the right way" infuriates him. The hibernating tactic seems to really infuriate him for some reason, I'm not really sure why, to me it almost makes logical sense.

The human body focuses more on repairing injuries and restocking fat stores during sleep. That's why people like me who starve themselves all day in real life and in The Long Dark still survive, or even put on weight. I'm 5'9" and 240 lbs and I drink like 5 to 6 12 ounce coffees a day with 4 teaspoons of sugar in each cup and 1% milk, and eat one sensible meal a day. Tonight was about 10 oz of baked chicken, some corn, and some beef stroganoff noodles. Somehow my body just likes being fat....and somehow I don't have diabetes even though I have had this routine my whole life and I'm 40.

If I played less of The Long Dark and went outside to break down some crates, maybe I'd lose some weight though....

On 6/29/2017 at 10:33 PM, JoE Smash said:

I don't know that Dirmagnos can be calm or nice. He seems to only find enjoyment from peeing in other people's wheeties.

I'm not gonna agree or disagree on this. although you can probably guess my personal opinion.

We should all show respect to eachother here. lead by example and all that. so you should try to refrain from actively calling someone out like this. Whereas I directly approached him and asked him politely to be civil, talking about a user like this should be avoided. if you and I see any more of this kind of behavior, we should remember to make use of the report button for the proper Internet authorities to handle it ;)

On 6/29/2017 at 10:33 PM, JoE Smash said:

The hibernating tactic seems to really infuriate him for some reason, I'm not really sure why, to me it almost makes logical sense.

The human body focuses more on repairing injuries and restocking fat stores during sleep. That's why people like me who starve themselves all day in real life and in The Long Dark still survive, or even put on weight. I'm 5'9" and 240 lbs and I drink like 5 to 6 12 ounce coffees a day with 4 teaspoons of sugar in each cup and 1% milk, and eat one sensible meal a day. Tonight was about 10 oz of baked chicken, some corn, and some beef stroganoff noodles. Somehow my body just likes being fat....and somehow I don't have diabetes even though I have had this routine my whole life and I'm 40.

If I played less of The Long Dark and went outside to break down some crates, maybe I'd lose some weight though....

my body is about the same way. I've tried everything. dieting, exercising. I even went on a juice diet for a month. it was agony. and I'm still stuck at the same spot on that scale xD I'm only 18 aswell. they say if you wanna lose weight, you gotta do it before your 20s. I call bull, because I can't lose any of it. I gave up trying a long time ago :P

I am guilty of hibernating myself, though I did always think it was a cheap tactic. I think the cabin fever is an effective fix, as it is a very real thing. if you're stuck indoors for days on end, you get a lack of vitamin d which is very unhealthy, and in the world of the long dark you'd basically be sitting in the dark staring at the wall all day, it's not like you can just jump on facebook or youtube to entertain yourself xD and it would begin to eat at your psyche. although having to sleep outside for a day is not a fun endeavor.

Back on the main topic, not sure I'd want to (in effect) 'continue game', but with a new character in the same world.

However, what would be pretty awesome, is if, during the next playthrough, there was a chance to see frozen corpses of your more receent previous failed attempts at spots where they died. Not containing the loot they were carrying - just a random small chance of an item, the same as other corpses.

Would just be kinda fun to see where you fell last (possibly using the game save name for the corpse) and to remind you of the previous mistakes and inspire you to do better, or explore further.

2 hours ago, Miniwizard said:

Back on the main topic, not sure I'd want to (in effect) 'continue game', but with a new character in the same world.

However, what would be pretty awesome, is if, during the next playthrough, there was a chance to see frozen corpses of your more receent previous failed attempts at spots where they died. Not containing the loot they were carrying - just a random small chance of an item, the same as other corpses.

Would just be kinda fun to see where you fell last (possibly using the game save name for the corpse) and to remind you of the previous mistakes and inspire you to do better, or explore further.

Yes back on topic lol, I think Miniwizard's idea is better and would be more likely because finding one item like a regular corpse wouldn't really be game breaking.....unless someone just kept starting and dying over and over to pile up bodies. So with everything there should be a limit as anything could be abused. Maybe the random corpses of your last five to ten runs....

Back off topic, @Tbone555 yes not being able to lose weight after 20 is bull, so don't panic about a deadline. I have been about 240lbs a majority of my life. It seems to be my cruising weight that I constantly revert back to. That being said, I have lost weight and gotten to 180lbs about six times in my life so far. This started at 18 actually, the summer between high school and college.

It definitely gets harder to lose the same amount of weight as I get older, but it still can be done. You just have to be patient with it and stick to the plan. You have to make up your mind about doing it and be serious that it is happening, and not stop until you succeed. 

If your body is like mine (and maybe this is the part that frustrates you) you may or may not lose any weight the first two to four weeks. You may even get heavier. This is because at first you are going to start storing more water to complete the exercise, and you may put on muscle mass really fast like I do. Muscles by volume weigh more than the same volume of fat, and they store water. So gaining weight isn't necessarily bad, the muscle weight will help you burn more fat.

For me I had to work REALLY hard at it. You need to get into a food routine. Buy 10lbs of chocolate whey protein on the Internet. Drink whey protein after you work out every day for breakfast and drink more for lunch. Only eat a good meal full of protein for supper. Try to keep total calories for the day under 2000, preferably 1000-1500. I cycled for an hour every morning on a stationary bike, maybe take one weekend day off for a break to heal. After biking work out a major muscle group, like one day do shoulders and crunches. The next day do biceps and triceps. The third day do chest and back. Then continue that cycle.  You need to give each major muscle group at least three days to build new muscle mass before you break them down again. I never really did legs, because I biked so much and that does legs.

If you do all that and stick to the program for three months, you won't be telling me you are stuck at 250lbs, lol. You will be close to or under 200lbs and you will feel like you can lift a car. I actually just started picking everyone up, even my 320lb dad. Some people don't like being picked up, so be careful with that.

If you do it for five months straight you will be 180lbs and ripped, then you will start picking up chicks too....

Just now, JoE Smash said:

Yes back on topic lol, I think Miniwizard's idea is better and would be more likely because finding one item like a regular corpse wouldn't really be game breaking.....unless someone just kept starting and dying over and over to pile up bodies. So with everything there should be a limit as anything could be abused. Maybe the random corpses of your last five to ten runs....

Yes that would be the first 'abuse' concern, hence I just said "a chance to see frozen corpses of your more recent previous failed attempts at spots where they died". i.e. of the last few games, each has a chance to appear, rather than a pile of bodies in one spot. Also bear in mind you don't know where you will spawn on a map anyway. :)

Would also occasionally let you pay your respects to a character that died after a long run due to some unfortunate circumstances. 

57 minutes ago, Miniwizard said:

Yes that would be the first 'abuse' concern, hence I just said "a chance to see frozen corpses of your more recent previous failed attempts at spots where they died". i.e. of the last few games, each has a chance to appear, rather than a pile of bodies in one spot. Also bear in mind you don't know where you will spawn on a map anyway. :)

Would also occasionally let you pay your respects to a character that died after a long run due to some unfortunate circumstances. 

Yeah, it's not a terrible idea in general, I like it, I could get down with that. I'd rather them make it so I can climb a rope with more than 30kilos of gear first though....;)

Archived