Starvation, Desperation and Darkness

Tbone555

The only really noteworthy part of my last sandbox is the last 2 - 3 days. it went pretty normal at first. started anew, voyageur, male, random map, and it gave me desolation point. I began updating my journal, giving our nameless survivor a generic back story. Saved up money from the logging camp for flight lessons and bought a Cessna, planned to become a bush pilot like his close friend Will, but on his first flight his Cessna went down, taking out the cliff and causing a rock fall which trapped him in DP. that's where his story begins.

So I start exploring, mapping, got some pretty good clothes and a great stock of food. but the survivor was afraid to go through the mine to escape. he was clostrophbic and was afraid the mine might collapse and promised himself he'd only use it as a last resort. he ran out of food quickly, and there was no rifle to be found. so I gathered some saplings, picked feathers from the local murders of crows, forged some arrow heads, stoned rabbits for food in the meantime, and explored and mapped. stumbled upon Katie's corner one day, found a bow and an arrow. the next day is when starvation started to REALLY set in. so I went hunting. Found absolutely nothing. no wolves, no deer, and I had already eaten like all of the rabbits. even though I distinctly remember seeing 2 deer over by Katie's corner. Guess the bad weather drove them to hiding. I make my way aaaaaaaaaall the way around the map, beach combing, searching for wildlife, anything for a meal. but I found nothing. I was really starving. at 0 calories and my condition was almost half way down. then I saw them. two wolves. side by side. I was so hungry I wasn't thinking straight. I drew my bow, shot one, and the other jumped me. attacked it with my crowbar, I didn't want to kill it. but it damn near killed me. I stumbled back into Hibernia, drank the rest of my herbal tea just to take the edge off that starvation and recover some condition, and woke up with a nasty infection in my arm. as I was repairing my clothes, I heard my survivor say "wait... I see a light. What's that light?" First emergency stim. when the sun rose, I went out to hunt. if I could JUST get a wolf... I'd make it through to another day at least. found those same two wolves. second emergency stim. I attack both of them, knife in hand. I couldn't even see my condition bar anymore, it was so low. third and last emergency stim. as I was searching for one of those wolves, I saw two rabbits hopping along. at this point I was at about 3 percent condition, and combating infection. I went full primal mode. instinct kicked in, I stoned both of them and ate them raw. if I didn't I would have died trying to cook them on the fire. food poisoning. while I had food in my belly, I went and rested in the nearby cave next the broken bridge. laced up on adrenaline, painkillers and antibiotics, I woke up starving and still at about 8 percent condition. I knew if I stayed there I would die in the night. so I stumbled out into the pitch darkness with my torch. I just walked down the road. I thought maybe if I could make it to the church I could harvest some mushrooms, make some tea, take the edge off the starvation and rest there to get my condition up a bit more. down the road a ways, I hear a bear growl from the darkness. I throw my torch and take off running into the pitch black darkness. after a while I think I'm in the clear, thought I outran it, so I lit a flare. and sure enough, just out of the lights reach, I see the bear charging me. I throw the flare at it. didn't do anything. at this point, I closed my eyes and accepted my fate.

The last thing that was written in our survivors journal? almost illegible, the page being smeared with blood, but you can just barely make out the words "should have taken the mine"

Archived