Prepper's Bunker Thoughts

chabuhi

I think the prepper's bunker/cache is a great element of the game. I like that it is nearly impossible (for me, anyway) to find. And I like the boost it gives you.

However, I was thinking of interesting ways to "improve" upon it, though I realize my ideas might have some seriously unbalancing effects on the game.

Again, I like the location randomization and how difficult it is to find. If there's a way to make it even more difficult to find, that would be great. I know there's only so many places to put it on a map, and eventually people will work out all those locations, but maybe more locations might up the challenge? Better camouflage? Locations that seem impossible to access, or perhaps ARE impossible to access without proper gear?

Also, once located, the bunker shouldn't just spread its legs for the player. Maybe there should be a combination lock on the hatch. Maybe the lock is rusted shut and you need to locate some oil to get it to move again. Perhaps it's "unpickable" and you actually have to locate the combination in some randomized location in the world. Maybe it's biometric, and you have to locate the corpse and remove either a finger, hand or eyeball to do the trick. (Ew, that's morbid now that I read it back.) Okay, so that's going overboard, but I think you get the idea.

I think it's a great way to totally mess with the player: Congratulations! You found a prepper's bunker! But ... you can't get in. If the maps ever grow in size, and with enough non-descript terrain, the player might even wind up having to search for the bunker a second time after they've acquired the combination/key (maybe only my memory is that bad).

But, after all that, the reward should be huge. I know when I finally found a bunker (and I've only found one so far on multiple playthroughs) I was a little underwhelmed at how UNPREPARED this supposed prepper was. I mean, most of these nuts stock up for a hundred days. The bunker I found in the game was a veritable treasure trove compared to the other more common caches in the world, but it still wasn't great.

I know that's part of the challenge, and that a Prepper's Bunker Bonanza would create a horrible imbalance, but ... so what? Presumably, it just holds off death another 100 days (or whatever). If the sandbox is just a marathon, then I think this "improved" bunker idea could be a cool addition.

Well first of all, you're a little late. All bunker spawns have already been discovered, just fyi. :)

I like the idea of making the preppers cache harder to access, but on the other hand, how many caches are you imagening there to be in the main game?

I suppose these caches will be a once-per map spawn for the sandbox only, with maybe 10 sprinkled over the map of the main game.

And I do have to disagree with the spawn of loot in a preppers cache. It is about survival, not about finding the Holy Grail. I for one like the challenge of having to survive, of hunting my own food and finding my own water. A cache that would supply me for 100 days would kind of defeat the purpose of playing a survival game, wouldn't it?

I would bet though that the cache that you found was of type A, so it was the smallest bunker with the least amount of stuff in it. :)

For sandbox I'm only envisioning one, randomly placed bunker per playthrough. I got the sense that the current locations are all already known - I simply meant that I thought there could be many more *possible* locations added. And really make them difficult to spot. Like you could somehow walk over them a few times before realizing they're there. Maybe even make it so, wherever it is, it is almost entirely snowed over on day 1 and only gradually revealed a little bit each day. Probably never find it then, because how likely would you be to re-check a spot you've been over (maybe very likely if you're desperate enough). In any case, I was just thinking it might make it more of a challenge than, say, just running to each of the known spots until it turns up.

I agree, my 100 day example was extreme, but I do think it should be a significant bounty. I've only found one bunker so far (probably because I refuse to look up maps of the known locations), so I couldn't tell you if it was small or not, but you're probably right. In any case, a 100 day stash would make the game ridiculously boring, but until I know what the bigger caches are like I guess I should keep my mouth shut :)

I know when I finally found a bunker (and I've only found one so far on multiple playthroughs) I was a little underwhelmed at how UNPREPARED this supposed prepper was. I mean, most of these nuts stock up for a hundred days. The bunker I found in the game was a veritable treasure trove compared to the other more common caches in the world, but it still wasn't great.
And I do have to disagree with the spawn of loot in a preppers cache. It is about survival, not about finding the Holy Grail. I for one like the challenge of having to survive, of hunting my own food and finding my own water. A cache that would supply me for 100 days would kind of defeat the purpose of playing a survival game, wouldn't it?

I didn't really expect to find a lot of stuff in the bunker because that would indeed break the game, but my first thought after having found my first bunker and checked it out was: "This guy was a prepper?" I wish they hadn't called it a prepper's bunker. Or made it a bunker in the first place. I mean, who would go to all the trouble of building such a bunker (digging out the hole in the mountain, hauling up the cinder blocks to build the walls, mixing concrete to make the entrance, carrying that very have metal hatch to seal the entrance) and then not stock it properly? The one bunker I found to far contained a few clothes, about 1 day worth of food and maybe 2 days of water. Then there were a few tools, 2 rifles and some ammo. That's it. Maybe I did find a small bunker (type A), I don't know.

I know there could be any number of reasons why the bunker doesn't contain more loot, but since the game doesn't give me any reason it just feels wrong to me. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want that bunker to be filled to the brim because that would make the game to easy when you find it and I don't know how to make this better, but I just don't like it the way it is. I just wish it wasn't a prepper's bunker, as the owner was not much of a prepper if you ask me. Or maybe rename it to "Forgotten prepper's bunker". Or abandoned or something along those lines. That way I get a reason why it's so empty and it would sit much better with me.

Also, I wouldn't mind if the bunker was less easy to open. Why build a bunker with such a heavy door and not lock it? At least make it so I need a pry bar to open the door. (And then have the only pry bar in the dam with fluffy guarding it :twisted:)

@trandor, where can I find your youtube channel?

As always, life intervened with my watching the video, but I had a go just now. I actually meant the video about the inside of the bunkers, but found a link to that one on youtube with the video of the locations. Great to have seen the different bunkers! Have been to only 2 myself so far (near the Camp Office and near the logging camp/ trainloading area). Thanks for making the video's @Trandor.

Archived