Does 'Sprint' Affect a Wolf Fight?

BIGwooly

Just died 13 days into my interloper run.  I was running along the edge of the ice towards Jackrabbit Island (since I had just started freezing and didn't want to lose much condition) and a wolf popped up from behind a rock.  I was at about 85-90% condition when the attack happened.  I play on Xbox so I of course started jamming on the 'A' button but literally nothing happened .. the bar didn't fill even a hair.  The attack actually went on for some time because my condition level was fairly high, and I just kept mashing and nothing happened .. and then I died.

I didn't have an improvised knife yet so I was left fighting with my hands, but this is the first time I never saw the bar move.  It was early in the morning so my fatigue was probably 90% full ... but my sprint may have been low as I had just had to run from a wolf that spawned ON the docks at the fishing camp, and then was running again because I was freezing.

So I'm feeling like this was either a bug or maybe it's tied to the sprint meter being low.  Anyone else have a similar experience?  Thoughts?

But my point was that the 'fight bar' didn't ever move.  I've had run-ins with wolves previously with less than 25% health and still had time to get some movement in the fight bar before I died.  I'm thinking it's tied to your sprint meter, and if that is low or depleted then you can't effectively fight back, which would make sense.

On 6/16/2017 at 9:37 AM, BIGwooly said:

But my point was that the 'fight bar' didn't ever move.  I've had run-ins with wolves previously with less than 25% health and still had time to get some movement in the fight bar before I died.  I'm thinking it's tied to your sprint meter, and if that is low or depleted then you can't effectively fight back, which would make sense.

While we are currently investigating some reports of issues during wolf struggles -- fatigue will affect your chances against a wolf. Better to be fresh and have a tool in your hands for best results. 

I have experienced this issue and made a semi-detailed topic about it on the Steam forums but I'm still testing it to see if I can get more consistent data about what causes it before I make my own bug report. So far I really only know that it appears to occur on all difficulties, can happen with weapons (not just fists), and doesn't happen all the time. I've aggroed a wolf, fought it off in seconds without the bar moving, then aggroed the same wolf moments later and the bar did move. I've been in a situation where I was in great condition with almost full stats, and had a wolf attack and it took a solid 10 seconds for the wolf to kill me and the bar never moved once as though I wasn't even trying to fight back. I've also been straight from the spawn, sprinted until I was out of sprint and aggroed the first wolf I've found only to successfully fight him off twice with fists. It's very inconsistent and makes weighing the risks/rewards of fighting any single wolf impossible.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/2119355556490273411/

On 6/21/2017 at 5:46 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

While we are currently investigating some reports of issues during wolf struggles -- fatigue will affect your chances against a wolf. Better to be fresh and have a tool in your hands for best results. 

Thanks for your diligence and for looking into it.  I was traumatized by the experience, lol. :P 

5 hours ago, xOEDragonx said:

I have experienced this issue and made a semi-detailed topic about it on the Steam forums but I'm still testing it to see if I can get more consistent data about what causes it before I make my own bug report. So far I really only know that it appears to occur on all difficulties, can happen with weapons (not just fists), and doesn't happen all the time. I've aggroed a wolf, fought it off in seconds without the bar moving, then aggroed the same wolf moments later and the bar did move. I've been in a situation where I was in great condition with almost full stats, and had a wolf attack and it took a solid 10 seconds for the wolf to kill me and the bar never moved once as though I wasn't even trying to fight back. I've also been straight from the spawn, sprinted until I was out of sprint and aggroed the first wolf I've found only to successfully fight him off twice with fists. It's very inconsistent and makes weighing the risks/rewards of fighting any single wolf impossible.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/2119355556490273411/

Thanks for testing that out ... I really figured it was tied to my sprint being depleted but it sounds like that might not be the case entirely.  I've been playing scared since, haha.

21 minutes ago, BIGwooly said:

Thanks for your diligence and for looking into it.  I was traumatized by the experience, lol. :P 

Yes, as you can imagine, we're looking especially deep into the game right now - polishing! So if you experience a very unusual issue, the fastest way to get it in front of the testing team is to submit a report on JIRA here: https://hinterlandgames.atlassian.net/projects/TLDP/issues

Thanks again!

4 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Yes, as you can imagine, we're looking especially deep into the game right now - polishing! So if you experience a very unusual issue, the fastest way to get it in front of the testing team is to submit a report on JIRA here: https://hinterlandgames.atlassian.net/projects/TLDP/issues

Thanks again!

Sounds good.  I didn't want to report it because I wasn't sure if it was a bug or just tied to the sprint meter.

Archived