Forlorn Muskeg

Ahatch

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Carbon said:

Very exciting @Ahatch and well done. Thanks for the updates.

I agree, this game is so odd, it's is the only game I have played where I enjoy watching others play, and I enjoy hearing stories about their experiences. It's like watching people's real life survival stories. I mean I know it isn't real, it's a game, but the game can be so difficult hearing about what other's are going through always seems interesting to me. I normally don't care at all about other's gaming experiences, lol.

8 hours ago, nicko said:

ha wow milliseconds I just thought what Carbon is replying to himself! then seen Thrasador has a new profile icon sim to Carbons :)

do you guys / girls have tattoos?

I did a double take myself, but Haida art (or Haida-inspired art) is gorgeous, so it's all good. No tats here, just visible scars (life tattoos).

Back to topic. :)

1 hour ago, Carbon said:

I did a double take myself, but Haida art (or Haida-inspired art) is gorgeous, so it's all good. No tats here, just visible scars (life tattoos).

Back to topic. :)

I was envious of @Carbon's forum pic so I Googled "orange and black tribal art" and this wolf image was on a mug. I cropped it. My runner up was a sun, I used it on my background pic on my profile. I thought the wolf would be a fitting image for one who enjoys this game.

I'm a dude. One shoulder tat. Not tribal art.

It would make a good alternate Hinterland logo. I saw a post discussing the new simplified logo.

Well here am I at Day 42 looks like I'll be sticking around here if I want to get my wolf coat . I'm lucky to get in a couple hours a day to work on it. Food is not the issue another deer spawned so I further filled my tool boxes up. Keeping warm is my biggest problem trying to keep the fire going. I'm trying to gather firewood in the evening when it's not so bad. What's a bugger is the morning when it's so damn cold and your fire is going out so you go harvest a shrub run back stoke the fire then go get another one. My condition is taking a hit and fatigue is always close to the red. Not sure how long before my furry wolf friends return to the yard site and when that happens I will have no choice but the pull up stakes here as this wood gathering thing will get a bit tricky. 

TLDFMU11.png

TLDFMU12.png

I wonder if changing your sleep pattern wouldn't be useful? I mean, sleeping in the day or afternoon and being up at night to tend the fire. Disadvantages are visibility of course; seeing the wolves is critical but the advantages are being able to ensure warmth through the late night/early morning hours.

Just wondering if you've broken down and used all of the pallets over by the cabins? You've been in FM for a while, so I assume they're long gone. Hope you get that coat made....every little bit of warmth helps.

I have not broken down those pallets yet but 3 hours with the heavy hammer , might get hyphthermia doing that. I did try to get them once but there was wolves patroling nearby so I chickened out. I do agree I need to be more active in the late day early night and stay inside during the cold mornings. The only trouble I have is the fog though when it sets in visibility is no good and I'm finding I'm having to forage for wood further and further away from the homestead. 

On 7/16/2017 at 9:26 AM, Carbon said:

I wonder if changing your sleep pattern wouldn't be useful? I mean, sleeping in the day or afternoon and being up at night to tend the fire. Disadvantages are visibility of course; seeing the wolves is critical but the advantages are being able to ensure warmth through the late night/early morning hours.

@Ahatch... @Drifter Man switched to this routine in his Interloper on TWM run, and found it made a huge difference to his survivability...   he went from steadily losing condition over time, to actually improving condition.

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

@Ahatch... @Drifter Man switched to this routine in his Interloper on TWM run, and found it made a huge difference to his survivability...   he went from steadily losing condition over time, to actually improving condition.

That's right - for a time I slept during the day when the temperatures are high, and burned fire and collected sticks and rabbits during the night. But more recently I've had to adjust this routine because I can't see properly at night now, and hunting for sticks at night has become very inefficient. So my current method is to get decent clothes that allow me to sleep safely in the Mountaineer's Hut, go to bed before nightfall and wake up before the coldest hours of the morning. Then I run the fire in the morning and go to collect sticks as soon as the sun comes up.

Your progress is impressive @Ahatch! Stay alive :)

Just hit Day 45 , last couple days were interesting while foraging for firewood I came across the hunting rifle. It was behind the shed with the barrels leaning on a tree not that far from the homestead. There was some Sardines and a chocalate bar as well so a nice find. Would trade the sardines for a box of matches however. I've stayed here for a couple days and the wolves returned. I shot one wolf with the gun and clipped one with the bow. The gun is at 35% so not that great. I lost one of my arrows not sure if it's stuck to a wolf or is lying somewhere nearby. The wolf I shot I'm unable to harvest it with the amount of wolfs hanging around so it's just lying there teasing me. I am 9 hours from completing the wolf coat but my Fire Striker is at 8% in the red and I have just 7 matches. I used up all my deer meat so now things are getting tricky. I can't seem to get enough sticks and my improvised axe is ruined so have to use Hacksaw to get good wood so not a great situation. I want to stay here to finish the coat then make for Poachers camp. 

TLDFMU13.png

Day 46 spent the day scrounging for firewood to try to keep warm as I made it to late afternoon I was able to sneek over to the wolf carcass and get 2kg of meat on 3 quick visits but more importantly fatigue or no fatigue finish the dang wolf coat! I used 2 precious matches today on 2 separate fires one by the workbench in the morning to keep me warm while working on the coat  and one in the forge so I could have a rest and cook some wolf meat. Now that the coat is done the next step may be to just get the heck out of here and make for the poachers camp and ultimiately Mystery Lake. I have enough matches to hopefully get me to the Camp Office or if I'm really lucky I could stumble on some in some unexplored area of this map. 

TLDFMU14.png

tldfmu16.png

Well I made 50 days on Forlorn Muskeg! First off once I got the wolf coat things have really improved. For starters I was warm enough to craft the deer skin pants and repair all my cloths for the trek to Mystery Lake. I played it a bit safe just staying here at the homestead , shot a deer with the bow. Funny looking at my stats I have spent more time in one run on this region than Pleasent Valley. I have spent alot of time on Pleasent but never in one run I always either were killed there or I went there after  a long time either on Mystery or Timberwolf Mountain. Had a few long runs wiped in the last update as well. I made a major blunder by firing my rifle as I have yet to get my Silent Hunter badge at day 43 so if I could do a mulligan that would be it. So I will head to Mystery now and if I don't have too much trouble I will likely start a new sandbox and start over LOL. 

tldfmu16.png

TLDFMU17.png

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 2:49 AM, Ahatch said:

Day 46 spent the day scrounging for firewood to try to keep warm as I made it to late afternoon I was able to sneek over to the wolf carcass and get 2kg of meat on 3 quick visits but more importantly fatigue or no fatigue finish the dang wolf coat! I used 2 precious matches today on 2 separate fires one by the workbench in the morning to keep me warm while working on the coat  and one in the forge so I could have a rest and cook some wolf meat. Now that the coat is done the next step may be to just get the heck out of here and make for the poachers camp and ultimiately Mystery Lake. I have enough matches to hopefully get me to the Camp Office or if I'm really lucky I could stumble on some in some unexplored area of this map. 

TLDFMU14.png

tldfmu16.png

You could have pulled a torch from the first fire, and used it to light the fire in the forge. You probably knew that already though. Maybe the two fires were hours apart, or the first one went out wile crafting accidently?

9 hours ago, Ahatch said:

Well I made 50 days on Forlorn Muskeg!

Congratulations! Is it over now? Are you going to report from Mystery Lake as well?

By the way, save for that wolf, Carter Hydro Dam is currently unoccupied. You can live there for very, very long time :)

I'll report my last day on Forlorn , I think it's a good challenge I've done the 50 day challenge on Desolation Point once before on my own and it's usually at that point that some resource deffiency usually forces you to pull up stakes. I hope others give it a try it's a tough region but a good challenge. I need to play Interloper some more but I get frustrated dying on day 6 or 7 all the time LOL. I'll also post one last post when this run takes an end (death) I'm sure it will happen unless they do another game save wipe on the next update. 

All right then, we'll stay tuned. Don't die too soon :) And I'm actually thinking about trying FM on Interloper once I finish my current TWM challenge. I did a few runs there, the problem is max. 24 matches and very few options what to do. You can basically just scour the region for firewood and ready food and then die. I have some ideas but 20 days max is my estimate.

Forlorn would be interesting on Interloper I think if you get the bow like I did this run at the hop it helped a lot. I wouldn't want to walk around this region too long with just running shoes on.There is no warm cabins like the other regions just the one cave by the waterfall. 

1 hour ago, Ahatch said:

Forlorn would be interesting on Interloper I think if you get the bow like I did this run at the hop it helped a lot. I wouldn't want to walk around this region too long with just running shoes on.There is no warm cabins like the other regions just the one cave by the waterfall. 

I doubt a bow will be possible - in the few tries I did there was no hammer, without hammer there is no knife, without knife there is no bow. TWM is similar in this respect but at least it has a useful base with resources around and heaps of loot at the Summit.

Ya Timberwolf is for sure a better map in terms of resources getting to the summit in interloper would be a great accomplishment for sure :) I'd need a eat lot of cattails to have the energy to make that long climb up. Ya I guess it's unlikely to have a bow/arrow spawn on interloper and the forge without the hammer is pretty much useless. 

8 hours ago, Ahatch said:

Ya Timberwolf is for sure a better map in terms of resources getting to the summit in interloper would be a great accomplishment for sure :) I'd need a eat lot of cattails to have the energy to make that long climb up. Ya I guess it's unlikely to have a bow/arrow spawn on interloper and the forge without the hammer is pretty much useless. 

It's more about getting a chance to rest on the way. If you get that chance, it's easy. In fact I would now choose going to the summit in the first days of an interloper game as a quick start for the character. But that's another map. This is a FM thread :)

Archived