Mountaineering

Ice Hole

Mountaineering in Timberwolf  Mountain

Discussing the idea of traveling into strange territory.  These are areas the developers have not intended for the characters to go into. Playing Duke'Nukem3D I was thrilled to find this message.

594208b183d43_DukeHow.png.54da9a92551477eb49cc8887bc8a621a.png

Share your success and failures traveling into the outer limits.

The Long Dark offers mountaineering challenges that can deliver your character into exotic forbidden locations or alternative routes.  For me I wanted to find a way up TWM with just one rope climb to the summit.  I try this out every new patch just to see if something changed.  This time I managed to mountaineer to Eric's Falls.  This has reduced the number of rope climbs to the summit to two.  Additionally the route has only a few predators and maybe no encounters if starting from Andre's peak.

screen_8dabb6e7-dbff-4b8e-9806-f2fb899ad3ca_hi.thumb.png.791708514c7dceaa96f47ce52121221b.png

screen_6281b314-65cd-4cb4-b335-a47d02496897_hi.thumb.png.6f5d7a0722fca6a51197c703f98a3610.pngBehind me is the edge of the map.  The missing textures indicated that this area was off limits.

594254b5dece8_screen_(9193901104)_054d15ee-63d9-443e-ace6-637aee17ac1d.thumb.png.ec9efb924ac464c5100a31613ef01362.png

I even went straight for the summit and made it this far without any ropes.  The summit is within sight and this is now driving me onward to find a solution.

I was skirting along some steep slopes the other day in Mystery Lake to avoid wolves, because they like me so much whether I am smelly or not, and I came across a hole in the terrain.  It honestly made me feel so much the naughty boy...but what can I say?  I didn't sign up to this to be dog chow.

If I remember right it was between Camp Office and right across the tracks from Carter Dam.  Yeah, I just about tried to go as the crow flies.

6 hours ago, Samsonguy920 said:

I was skirting along some steep slopes the other day in Mystery Lake to avoid wolves, because they like me so much whether I am smelly or not, and I came across a hole in the terrain.  It honestly made me feel so much the naughty boy...but what can I say?  I didn't sign up to this to be dog chow.

If I remember right it was between Camp Office and right across the tracks from Carter Dam.  Yeah, I just about tried to go as the crow flies.

Next time, F8 please :P

The summit is getting closer.  

5944cbf3a0e77_screen_(9733871117)_71e8294e-dec4-4c2b-9d35-0cdf6efaa52d.thumb.png.6572f770bbb46693f25395f5e9487eae.png

22 hours ago, Samsonguy920 said:

I came across a hole in the terrain.  It honestly made me feel so much the naughty boy

Did you travel through to another area sort of like a tunnel? 

Considering that this game is trying to murder our characters and finding any chink in the armour is a strategy for survival.  Congratulations on keeping your wits in a stressful situation.

So I went around the peak and made it to Secluded Shelf.  This means the summit can be reached in one rope climb.  It is a route that does not make use of any terrain exploits and I have made it through without any sprains.

I am starting from this hill just past cave C and ascend to an area that has trees above cave C then make way to a ledge that has me about eye level with the crows.  Around the corner and then the climb toward the summit begins.  The path is a ledge and is straightforward to climb. This leads to a view of the front section of the plane.  From there I go around the corner and drop down but continue on.  Then there is an area that allows you to climb up back towards the plane and from there continue to Secluded Shelf.

5944cdaa7b941_TimberwolfMountain-walktosummit.thumb.jpg.c79d5742b5c70072c8741e7cc72f651a.jpg

This path I drew is not that accurate.  If anybody is interested I can make a video.

/

Oooh. I always called this pathfinding myself, but definitely one of my favorite pursuits in any game. I've found some rather creative ones in TLD, but now I will have to do some actual notation for future paths. Carry on, brave explorers! 

Note in most "Launched" games this is considered exploitation. However as hunting out, preventing and patching exploits used to be part of my job, I consider it just damn fun. Also it is in alpha (well, truthfully it's more like beta at this point) afterall 

On 6/21/2017 at 5:44 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

Thanks and happy climbing!

Made it to the summit without climbing a rope! 

Am I the first to do so? 

If  I am the first, do I get an award?

The video (soon) will show how it is done.  I just hope that it stays and not be classified as a bug.

This doozy of a hole however will be sent to the bug tracker594e3954c9242_screen_(11471261148)_338575ba-675d-45f9-98dc-8f3defa008e1.thumb.png.f73a41ea423da630419bd0a6eaca74eb.png

On 6/20/2017 at 9:09 PM, Caffeinequeen said:

preventing and patching exploits used to be part of my job

I can get paid for having so much fun?

I decided a couple days ago to come back and retry climbing to the summit after my interloper run died by wolf attack due to the scent mechanic catching me off guard.  After making the summit yesterday I have ever since been trying to reproduce it. 

There was no OBS running during the initial success I had yesterday.   Knowing the solution exist makes a difference in pursing the goal.  After hours of trying and a partition full of summit misses videos I did make some progress but no summit.  After work and sleep I am anxious to try again.  This morning got up early to give it another go.  The save file would be recycled but then that character died close to success and that save file is gone.  Now I had to start new.

The new character was spawned in the cave near the three way cave.  So making straight for cave A entrance via Seclude Shelf.  Got a sprain near the same area I was starting from before and now that was my new reload point.  Chalked my hands for another go and after ten tries I started to make more progress.  Finally I recognize the area I was in.

I am getting close to the summit.   So the victory tune is started.  Still uncertain of the path to the summit and then after making mistakes; failure.  But now I know the solution is closer and try again.  Make it to a nook that had a great view and the tune is started.   Excitingly I make more mistakes and take damage from falling.  Close now, push on pilgrim.  Around another corner and then the tail of the plane is in view. 

Grizzly Air

594f848f5d48c_SummitSuccess.thumb.png.c903c73f5ee9b4f9e055bfb1d5bf8786.png

This is the view as I turned the corner.

The video is the second time I made the summit and only shows the last leg of the Journey.  There was loads of fun trying to solve this puzzle.  Here's hoping this inspires other mountaineers. 

This video shows the final segment of the Timberwolf Mountain No Ropes Summit Challenge.  The path was updated for a smooth climb to the summit.

The challenge to any who wish to dare is to starting from the Three Way Cave climb to the summit using no ropes.  Do it on interloper and win a case Summit Soda ;).

Starting on interloper and using no ropes was the purpose.  Solving this ascent was the first step.  Putting this knowledge into practice will be even more interesting.  The next time this interloper visits Timberwolf Mountain I will enjoy this stomping ground even more.

Surveyed the route to Secluded Shelf and took some photos along the way.

The video of the first leg in the hike to the summit.

From the starting point to the first warm up point.  The first warm up point is somewhat out of the wind,  has the broken plane in view and the area smells of jet fuel.  The next video in this series details how to hike from this warm up point to the Secluded Shelf.

Tried to reach the summit on an interloper TM spawn near the three way cave.  The characters health is too low.  Not enough to push on and will retry.

Archived