My Two Coppers on Faithful Cartographer

Tenasi Vol

It was a great update and Im in love with many of the changes.  I was extremely happy to see the cartographer aspect added. I wanted to put my two coppers in on the feedback department.

POSITIVE

1.  I like the fact that I can add resources to the map.  If I see a stump with mushrooms, a berry bush, a corpse, a carcass, etc. I should be able to add that to the map for future reference. I have not played long enough to know that if you use that resource it is removed from the map.  I will be on the lookout for that next time.

2.  The addition of "scent" to your character.  Predators would and should be able to track you by stench.  Its realistic.  The location of the icon seems to be bothersome for some, but its not a big deal to me.

3.  The stone throwing is BOMBSAUCE.  Such an amazing added capability and much needed to be able to get started in a big adventure.  Very realistic as well.  I would be a Randy Johnson stone throwing fool if I was in that situation in real life.

4.  Bringing back the capability to throw flares and torches.  I like the fact that I can sling fire at something to get it away from me.  (More on this in the negative area.)

5.  Getting a torch out of the fire.  Its nice and realistic to be able to grab a stick that is burning and use it as a source of light as you walk.  Or, as mentioned above, used as a fireball at a furry thing.  I see some complaints about the option for the brand or torch.  I see no definitive difference in the two (except maybe length of burn which could be addressed) and should be able to be used interchangeably. 

6.  Addition of the moon and sun dials as a guide for time instead of knowing exactly how many hours there are left at night.  Waking up in the middle of the night and knowing you have 3 hours of darkness remaining was completely asinine. I love this new addition.

7.  Carcass harvesting changes.  I like that I can quarter a large carcass or just pick up a rabbit to move it to a better location for harvesting.  Thank you for that.  No more having to pass up the opportunity to get resources, when I can just grab and bring them back to my temporary camp.

8.  Crafting simple things without having to use a crafting bench!  Thank you so much for this.  Making a torch on the run is a great option.  And more realistic to be able to make simple things without the need of a large bench with a vice.

9.  I like that you have to select which medicine you have to use and for what reason.  Its more realistic.  Taking some painkillers when you need antibiotics should be an option.  Finding out later that you took painkillers INSTEAD of the antibiotics will be a great lesson.

NEGATIVE

1.  I, like many others, think that mapping should be dependent upon your "view" of things.  I should be able to climb to the top of the lighthouse on a sunny, clear day and pretty much map the majority of Desolation Point.  It should work on the things I can see in my field of view instead of a predetermined circle around me.

2.  I absolutely, without a doubt, unequivocally, abhor the idea that the game pauses for you to select how you would like to fight a wolf as it begins its attack.  That is completely ridiculous.  And I am given an option of how much damage I would like to do?  ..."Struggle Weapon Choice. When you get into a Wolf struggle, you now have the option to select between available tools based on the outcome you're looking for: Scare off the wolf, Defend yourself from damage, or go for the Kill."...  On what level would you think this to be okay?  If I am attacked by a wolf I want to get that wolf off of me, by any means necessary, and to get away from the wolf.  I should always have the best tool available to end a struggle as quickly as possible.  If I were in this situation in real life I would know exactly what to have in my reach to do so.  Giving me an option to select my bare hands so that I dont hurt a snarling teeth tornado attached to my arm too much is just silly.

3.  What in the hell did you do to the breath?  I cant see anything when Im moving around at night.  What the hell is lighting up my breath like an airport runway?

4.  Why can I not carry a torch in my left hand and use something with my right?  I cant throw a stone and hold a torch?  I have thrown down so many torches while trying to do something else because apparently Im only able to use one hand at a time.  I can hold a torch and mend clothes, but I cant hold it and throw a stone or wield a knife?

5.  Why take away the capability to brandish a torch?  I should be able to throw it or brandish it.  The option can easily be added to allow both capabilities.  I want to be able to challenge a wolf by waving a torch at it instead of taking my chances that I will be able to scare it off by THROWING THE ONLY WEAPON I HAVE IN MY HAND RIGHT NOW.  And when it doesnt... I stand there looking stupid.  Come on.  Especially when you take into consideration in my point above about not being able to have a torch and a knife at the same time.

6.  Why remove the capability to use old man's beard with a bandage to make an option that stops bleeding and infection?  You basically just made it a two step process of doing the exact same thing.  Now, you use the beard and then you use a bandage.  Its like telling someone they cant put Neosporin on a bandaid and place it on a wound.  But, they can put Neosporin on the wound, and then put a bandaid on it.  I imagine this was done because of programming to separate the injuries.  If that is the case, it comes across as lazy.

All in all, the update was amazing and I am sincerely thankful that you have created such a wonderful, intriguing, immersing game.  Thank you very much for all the hard work that you do to give us, the community of players, such a great product.

Ten

1 hour ago, Tenasi Vol said:

1.  I, like many others, think that mapping should be dependent upon your "view" of things.  I should be able to climb to the top of the lighthouse on a sunny, clear day and pretty much map the majority of Desolation Point.  It should work on the things I can see in my field of view instead of a predetermined circle around me.

THIS! I don't even bother anymore cartographing because for one, charcoal is quite heavy and one use only maps a tiny little area. If I want to map the whole region I have to stop every 10 seconds or so, map the area while continuing to freeze and go on. It would be such a cool feature but the way it's implemented you could remove it from the game alltogether, it's no use, especially on Interloper where you freeze by the seconds.

3.  What in the hell did you do to the breath?  I cant see anything when Im moving around at night.  What the hell is lighting up my breath like an airport runway?

same with the flare, since the first Interloper testbranch I am beginning the devs to fix this, one can barely see anything when holding a flare because it's right in your face. And the breath? Not even while vaping I produce such clouds lol.

5.  Why take away the capability to brandish a torch?  I should be able to throw it or brandish it.  

this is actually something I welcome. I had too many failed brandish attempts but throwing never failed. You can pick it up and throw again if it comes back. Having said that - on my current run I had several wolf encounters, including Fluffy, and all ran away while I was just holding the flare without throwing. Is this a 100% sure thing now?

What I don't understand though, I can throw a Torch while it is burning but once the fire is out and the Torch ruined, I have to go into the menu and drop it. What magical power is preventing me from throwing a ruined Torch, does it get glued to my hand or something once it burns down?

8 hours ago, Tenasi Vol said:

Crafting simple things without having to use a crafting bench!  Thank you so much for this.  Making a torch on the run is a great option.  And more realistic to be able to make simple things without the need of a large bench with a vice.

I'm guessing it's been a while since you played? This has been a thing for a few updates now.

8 hours ago, Tenasi Vol said:

Why can I not carry a torch in my left hand and use something with my right?  I cant throw a stone and hold a torch?  I have thrown down so many torches while trying to do something else because apparently Im only able to use one hand at a time.  I can hold a torch and mend clothes, but I cant hold it and throw a stone or wield a knife?

+1000 from me.. this is just nuts.

Thanks for the responses!

@ChillPlayer, I have had it fail twice in the last two nights when I threw a lit torch at a wolf.  One of them actually hit the wolf.  Both times, they still charged me.  So, Im still a little confused about it.  I figured if I had the chance to back away while brandishing it would help.  Im glad Im not the only one that hates the flare right in my face.  In reality, it would be held down out of my view, or high above my head.  Having it right in front is counteracting the use.

@JAFO, you are correct.  It has been awhile.  I last played v.394 and have been away for six weeks prior to coming back a few days ago and playing the Cartographer update.  Either way, it was new to me.  And very welcome! lol  I was going off of what I read in the change log about making it so that you can craft things from the journal.  If it was implemented prior to that, then I missed it.

Its still a good update.  I was glad to come back and start playing the game and seeing the changes.  That breath one though.  LOL  Its silly.

Take care.

Ten

9 minutes ago, Tenasi Vol said:

I have had it fail twice in the last two nights when I threw a lit torch at a wolf.  One of them actually hit the wolf.  Both times, they still charged me.  So, Im still a little confused about it.

Whilst I've yet to test it, I'm told that landing the torch just in front of the wolf is the key.

I'm loving how the new scent mechanic works, and to be honest I'm totally fine with the lack of exact hours and temperature now.  It does force a higher sense of immersion on you.  I can't speak to quartering simply because with the new scent mechanic I don't see how I'd get anywhere with a load of smelly raw meat.  Maybe I'm just scared, lol.

+100 for brandishing torches/flares versus throwing them .. I would never ever IRL throw the one thing that was keeping a wolf at bay.  It's just really counterintuitive to me to throw a torch versus brandishing it, and it hurts the immersion because the tactic just doesn't make sense.  There are often multiple wolves in an area, so even if you throw a torch and scare one off, now you're defenseless against the one on your flank.  And from a gameplay perspective there was nothing more tense than the many moments I spent backing away from a wolf and waving a torch or flare.  The intimacy and tension in those encounters were epic ... not to mention sensible IMO.

+1 for your thoughts on mapping .. I don't mind time passing while you map, but I think the timescale should slow by half or more.  I can't even use the mapping function on interloper because it's suicide to stand around outside mapping every 10 seconds.  If you could map the visible area at least it would be better, but I really think the game time should slow by 50% while doing this (or just pause if that's easier to implement).

+100 for the new wolf fight mechanic .. it totally breaks the immersion for me.  Previously wolf attacks felt more brutal and instant, but now the game pauses and a mini-menu pops up .. not a fan.  I think you should have to have a weapon equipped before the wolf attacks, and if you don't you are left defending with your fists.  This makes more sense and retains immersion.  It makes things more real as you have to start thinking about equipping a weapon when you're in danger or just feeling vulnerable.  The game could implement a small mobility penalty to help balance against players walking/running everywhere with a weapon out .. maybe a percentage based on the weapon weight?

+1 on the breath .. it can be pretty annoying how badly it obstructs your vision.

BUT ... for the most part I still really really love this game. ;)

1. Would be nice if player could remove markers, manually.

3. Stone throwing is extremely op at the moment. There is abundant and unlimited supply or stones and stunning rabbits with them is extremely easy.

5. Taking brand, instead of proper torch was far better balanced, but they just had to ruin it and put torch back in. So, old problem of "who to frak will make torches again if they can just take one out of the fire" is back on agenda.

9. Its nowhere near being realistic. How to hell is it realistic that i can apply bandage on infection ? What kind of moron person must be irl to do something like that ?

Agree on rest.

On 'torches' ... the torches you take out of a fire last a fraction of the time that the torches you craft do.  But this is why I think they should have just stayed with brands, so it's not confusing to new players and so that you readily know the difference.  Walking around with a brand felt a lot more vulnerable.

19 hours ago, JAFO said:

Whilst I've yet to test it, I'm told that landing the torch just in front of the wolf is the key.

Just holding the torch and running at the wolf seems to work for me.  Though I've seen throwing it in front of the wolf work in youtube vids, it seems a bit risky to basically disarm yourself.

7 minutes ago, continuity said:

Just holding the torch and running at the wolf seems to work for me.  Though I've seen throwing it in front of the wolf work in youtube vids, it seems a bit risky to basically disarm yourself.

Seems a bit risky to run towards a charging wolf, for that matter.. ;)

Archived