A compass

Benjola

When all the zones were new to me I used to get lost in woods in various zones often, especially when foggy weather, at night or during a blizzard.

A simple compass would have saved me a lot of early tries at surviving and navigating during bad visibility.

Now that I'm familiar with all the zones and that we even got maps, I still want one.

It seems like a very essential tool to have in a survival game, especially with no maps at all for years.

A compass should have been introduced years ago but, it's never too late for a nice compass addition, IMO of course.

Hi @Benjola!  The conversation around compass changed with the last update, since we do have maps in game now.  Better still, maps that automatically orient themselves with N at the top.  (That's the primary reason I carry a compass for backpacking: to orient the map.  And practically the only time I use it.)

Poor man's GPS:  Dig a piece of charcoal out of your pack and survey afresh (assuming it's not night or bad weather) and the map opens centered on your current position.   You'll still have to compare the map to your local surroundings but you should get back on track easily that way.

Navigation really is a lot easier now.

14 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Hi @Benjola!  The conversation around compass changed with the last update, since we do have maps in game now.  Better still, maps that automatically orient themselves with N at the top.  (That's the primary reason I carry a compass for backpacking: to orient the map.  And practically the only time I use it.)

Poor man's GPS:  Dig a piece of charcoal out of your pack and survey afresh (assuming it's not night or bad weather) and the map opens centered on your current position.   You'll still have to compare the map to your local surroundings but you should get back on track easily that way.

Navigation really is a lot easier now.

Ironically the map addition didn't help me to orient in the world, but what i greatly appreciated is the improved depth of field / view distance.

Now i can really use the surrounding as landmark to know where i am.

6 hours ago, SameMax said:

Ironically the map addition didn't help me to orient in the world, but what i greatly appreciated is the improved depth of field / view distance.

Now i can really use the surrounding as landmark to know where i am.

That's a great point!

Archived