Craftable Hat

BIGwooly

A craftable hat option would be really great.

As an interloper player especially, two of the most critical things to find early in a game are a hat and gloves.  Because you start without, those two areas are always exposed to the weather and are immediate frostbite risks.  Items are so rare in interloper that I've literally gone weeks without finding gloves, and eventually had to craft mittens.  Of course, you can't currently craft a hat, and that becomes a real problem if you can't find one.  On my current game I'm on day 5 and haven't found a hat yet, despite searching interiors with torches.  I found an earwrap in the farmhouse, but that doesn't qualify to prevent frostbite for some reason.

I think a craftable rabbit hat would make sense.  Thoughts?

Every clothing item, aside of fancy ones(but there should be crude alternatives, like player cant make scarf, but he can make a hat for same slot), should be craftable and from any hides player wants 2. Why i cant make deer coat or wolf mittens or rabbit sleeping bag ? Each of those items should have basic stats that are then multiplied by parameters of materials used, instead of having fixed stats and fixed material.

My main issue with headwear is not it scarcity, but idiotic approach to those items durability, as aside of two, like cotton toque, that have good durability, rest are crap. In terms of repair, as im forced to either let item to degrade to extremely low levels, with possibility that next wolf attack trashes item, or waste clothing repairing them(if one piece of cloth can repair up to 75%, then repairing item at 50% durability is a waste of sad cloth).

16 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Every clothing item, aside of fancy ones(but there should be crude alternatives, like player cant make scarf, but he can make a hat for same slot), should be craftable and from any hides player wants 2. Why i cant make deer coat or wolf mittens or rabbit sleeping bag ? Each of those items should have basic stats that are then multiplied by parameters of materials used, instead of having fixed stats and fixed material.

I absolutely agree with this.

16 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

My main issue with headwear is not it scarcity, but idiotic approach to those items durability, as aside of two, like cotton toque, that have good durability, rest are crap. In terms of repair, as im forced to either let item to degrade to extremely low levels, with possibility that next wolf attack trashes item, or waste clothing repairing them(if one piece of cloth can repair up to 75%, then repairing item at 50% durability is a waste of sad cloth).

During his 1000 days in Carter Dam experiment, @Drifter Man crunched the numbers and found that repairing/maintaining a toque was basically just a waste of cloth and effort.. but that was before frostbite was introduced, which more or less forces us to keep one around.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

I absolutely agree with this.

I worry about bit about the negative impact on gameplay.  Is it good for the game that you never need to kill any other animal besides __________ (fill in the blank with your favorite animal to kill)?  By requiring different animal types you might actually have to go searching for that deer, especially late game when spawns get sparse.  Can't just cheese it by picking up 30 tiny pieces of meat and let the smell-o-meter's Spell of Wolf Summoning bring pelts to your doorstep.

It also motivates new players to try new parts of the game.  Lots of players are reluctant to kill their first bear but eventually do it because they want to craft the coat or bedroll.  And when they do, they are thrilled by the experience.  That's great gameplay IMO.

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

I worry about bit about the negative impact on gameplay.  Is it good for the game that you never need to kill any other animal besides __________ (fill in the blank with your favorite animal to kill)?  By requiring different animal types you might actually have to go searching for that deer, especially late game when spawns get sparse.  Can't just cheese it by picking up 30 tiny pieces of meat and let the smell-o-meter's Spell of Wolf Summoning bring pelts to your doorstep.

You mean like it is now, with wolves ? With their meat and coat being complete crap ? Or recent rabbit bonanza ?

Besides, how exactly its negative to hunt preferred animal ? If game would be properly balanced, then each version would have their pros and cons, forcing player to test various setups, until he finds optimal for his playstyle. Being forced to go thru every feature(as there are no alternatives) is anything but good game design. Especially if some features are clearly worse than others.

Besides, if im so much in to deer, for example, wont it make me to put that much more effort into obtaining required hides to craft and repair every piece of deer clothing instead of just 2 ?

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

It also motivates new players to try new parts of the game.  Lots of players are reluctant to kill their first bear but eventually do it because they want to craft the coat or bedroll.  And when they do, they are thrilled by the experience.  That's great gameplay IMO.

Dont really see how its an argument. Even with those options available players would try new things anyway. And with far more options, there would be far more new things to try. Right now you craft that bear bedroll or coat and thats it, you know what it does and how it fits in your gameplay. There are little to no variables.

But being able to craft every(most) piece of clothing from bear/wolf/deer/rabbit hides and then needing to match it with others to come up with optimal balance between warmth, weight, protection, water resistance and durability, thats a lot more new experience with relatively low amount of of effort. And each new animal, with its new hide, with its own properties, would act as multiplayer to this experience, instead of plain addition.

6 hours ago, Travell boots said:

So please. I could unterstand that you say we want more craftable clothes, exspecially a hat, i am also want to have this. But please be realistic and don´t ruin the game if you want stuff like a rabbit pelt sleeping bag. Because of the hat, i think you can use rabbit, deer, wolf or bear for this but i think wolf and bear are to heavy and not enough flexibel.

The fact that there could be an option to make rabbit sleeping bag doesnt mean that it would be particularly good sleeping bag. It might be light, but it would provide rather poor warmth bonus and wear out fast.

Thats the point, to have options of various quality, with pros and cons.

Also, realism is a term that means that something can be done, not that its good or bad.

Wanna talk realism, go take a look of plans for electricity, as this is a complete science fiction that defies laws of conventional physics. At least in this universe.

47 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Wanna talk realism, go take a look of plans for electricity, as this is a complete science fiction that defies laws of conventional physics. At least in this universe.

Actually, the TLD scenario of what would happen if a major CME struck the earth is, for the most part, fairly accurate in its effects.

15 minutes ago, Travell boots said:

Well, that right nicko.

I just think a discussion about other craftable item are not so bad under the topic: "Craftable hat". But i unterstand. My last post under this topic.

I agree. rabbit or deer hats will be fine. Maybe a wolf hat also i´m think the wolf leather is not enough flexibel, but well okay. A bear hat doesn´t make sense and it is to heavy.

Great ideas @Travell boots - Any hides or furs you harvest if you have the skills and resources you should be able to create all sorts of clothing such as hats, coats, gloves etc, which you can atm (limited to resources). the more crafting clothing options would need more balancing options. maybe less bunnies or less dear if you want more clothes.

14 hours ago, JAFO said:

Actually, the TLD scenario of what would happen if a major CME struck the earth is, for the most part, fairly accurate in its effects.

If major em event were to struck Earth on scale that would decimate global infrastructure, then there would be nothing left to work in terms of electronics, as they would be rendered completely unusable. Especially light bulbs, of any type. I already wrote about it several times, so i wont repeat whole thing again.

Only option would electroluminescence. But if there would so much static electricity in the air, then it would also be accompanied with deadly electric storms, ball lighting and charging of any conductive surfaces to levels that would shock(electric burns are second only to chemical ones in terms of pain, not to mention wide array of effects associated with overloading body own natural electric system) or even kill person if he touches them.

4 hours ago, Travell boots said:

. It doesn´t make sense that the game offer "useless" craftable items even if you can produce with not so much material a really better product.

Thats the point of balancing. Same bear sleeping bag is heavy, while rabbit one would be considerably lighter. Plus, bears are harder to kill compared to same rabbits. As rabbits are right now everywhere and killing them is completely effortless, and then carry them, allowing to stockpile huge amounts of pelts while doing pretty much nothing.

I dont like useless items either, but we already have such issues in the game. Like level 3 firemaking, that renders several items in game completely pointless, as they have no other uses. You cant even throw those tinder plugs in the fire to add a few minutes to burning. This is what useless looks like.

Good balance means usability of all items that may be used in game, depending on situation or preferences. Currently there isnt much on that part. Having completely linear progression of quality is simply lazy, as as soon as player reaches that top tier items, everything below it becomes obsolete. And having just one item to "chose from" is kinda stupid. Its a sure way to get player bored real fast.

So, because of realism. The Hinterland plans for electricity are not science fiction. Science fiction based on natural science that is not functional at this time. For example a plasma riffle. There are no natural science rules that say there could not exist a plasma riffle. The problem is that our technology today not allowed to produce one.

No, science fiction is usually based on imaginative concepts that do not exist. Period. The fact that those concepts may or may not be developed in the future is irrelevant. Hell, term itself refers to perception of things as they really are. Not what they could be. Also, natural science do not deal with make-believes for exactly this reason - there is no way to say one way or the other, making this concept pointless for practical applications.

And pls, go read something like "Physics for dummies", what you wrote next is so absurd that it hurts my brain. To have at least some basic understanding of things you are attempting to talk about. As what you described is not science, not by a long shot, its magic.

I´m really interested in natural science.

Considering what you write my guess would be that your interest do not extend to actually learning anything about those topics. Youre like anti Socratic paradox.

2 hours ago, Travell boots said:

Even for 5000 years as human invite animal pelt clothes they don´t use some animal pelts for special clothes ( there are no rabbit sleeping bag or rabbit shoes ).

It took me 10 seconds to find a guy who apparently didnt get the memo.

2 hours ago, Travell boots said:

A bear hat doesn´t make sense and it is to heavy.

Hmm, British Royal Guard(among many many many other people and organizations) didnt get that memo either.

• 3 weeks later...

My first thread here a week ago included the request for the ability to craft any clothing item out of any animal. The current few clothing items that can be crafted out of several specific animals seems like a half finished idea that was implemented in a patch quite a while ago. You would think the rest of the items would be added with the ability to craft them out of any animal hide in some future patch after testing the first bunch that are already here....but nope not so far. Add it to the frustration list...

Archived