Coffee Killed Me

BIGwooly

Ok, not directly ... but it did bring about my demise.

On my latest interloper run, due to a series of unfortunate events, I was at 6% health with only a can of peaches and like a dozen pre-brewed coffees.  I wasn't very tired, could probably only have slept for 2 hours, so I needed to become more exhausted so I could eat the peaches and then sleep for 6 or so hours and recover maximum health for the calories.  I was stuck in the farmhouse after dark in a blizzard so there were no tasks I could perform to tire myself out.

That meant I needed to pass time (worst thing but no choice really).  But because I was starving, passing several hours of time was only going to further worsen my condition.  So I decided I should drink a coffee, pass time, drink a coffee, pass time, etc.  Now I know coffee slows the rate of your fatigue, but I didn't really see another option.

Now I don't know if this is new with the latest update, but drinking those coffees didn't just slow my rate of fatigue ... it actually replenished my fatigue.  I didn't notice until the 3rd or 4th cup.  In the previous version I never saw a replenishment GAIN.  So the net result is I ended up raising my fatigue back up to nearly fully rested, which meant I could no longer sleep and regain maximum condition.  I basically sealed my fate by drinking those coffees.

Sometimes I have seen a few points of regaining condition from passing time if you are warm in a shelter and all other needs are met.
In this situation I would have done the same... get the starvation taken care of and pass time IN BED.

If you had a stim you might have been able to make a run for some cattails, but that is taking a big chance.

It is a good idea to ALWAYS have cattails on hand for these types of dire emergency situations...collect them and don't use them unless absolutely necessary.

The farmhouse isn't really close to anything immediate so that's unfortunate. :( 

I had already collected the cattails from near the farmhouse and was forced to use them on a run up to Signal Hill. :(

One of the unfortunate events was that I had harvested a steak from the deer up there but a blizzard rolled in and put my fire out so I had to retreat back inside the radio hut.  I decided to drop the raw meat before going inside to help preserve it, and inadvertently hit the wrong button and started consuming it.  I hit cancel immediately but still managed to get food poisoning, which led to me having to go search for mushrooms and consume most of my food afterwards to recover, etc .. including those cattails I had gathered.  After that all I had left were the peaches and 3 tins of coffee.

Post death I started thinking maybe I should have consumed the peaches and passed time to get more fatigued, and then drink the coffees and rest to regain condition.  But I would have been faced with the same issue, since the coffees actually replenished my fatigue bar.  I think I ended up in a no-win situation, lol.

4 hours ago, BIGwooly said:

Ok, not directly ... but it did bring about my demise.

On my latest interloper run, due to a series of unfortunate events, I was at 6% health with only a can of peaches and like a dozen pre-brewed coffees.  I wasn't very tired, could probably only have slept for 2 hours, so I needed to become more exhausted so I could eat the peaches and then sleep for 6 or so hours and recover maximum health for the calories.  I was stuck in the farmhouse after dark in a blizzard so there were no tasks I could perform to tire myself out.

That meant I needed to pass time (worst thing but no choice really).  But because I was starving, passing several hours of time was only going to further worsen my condition.  So I decided I should drink a coffee, pass time, drink a coffee, pass time, etc.  Now I know coffee slows the rate of your fatigue, but I didn't really see another option.

Now I don't know if this is new with the latest update, but drinking those coffees didn't just slow my rate of fatigue ... it actually replenished my fatigue.  I didn't notice until the 3rd or 4th cup.  In the previous version I never saw a replenishment GAIN.  So the net result is I ended up raising my fatigue back up to nearly fully rested, which meant I could no longer sleep and regain maximum condition.  I basically sealed my fate by drinking those coffees.

When Timberwolf Mountain was released I read in the forums that everyone who loved climbing multiple ropes in one day would just chug 4~5 cups (a pot basically) of coffee to replenish their energy bar. I started doing that myself.

So for at least the past year and a half, coffee replenishes your energy.

8 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

When Timberwolf Mountain was released I read in the forums that everyone who loved climbing multiple ropes in one day would just chug 4~5 cups (a pot basically) of coffee to replenish their energy bar. I started doing that myself.

Yup, I can confirm that.  Ever since its introduction coffee has always replenished the energy bar.;)

17 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

I never noticed this, because I use my coffee so sparingly. There's only so much of that stuff in the world - and when it's gone it's gone. I try to only use it for climbing and long hunting trips. or if I get attacked by a wolf and exhaust myself fighting it off.

However, maybe this will be a good tactic for the next time I tackle hopeless rescue ;)

1 hour ago, BIGwooly said:

It truly was a depressing moment when I noticed my fatigue bar was full again.  I actually paused the game to try and think of any possible way out and there just wasn't one.  Beware of the coffee!!

When I want to purposely exhaust myself I sprint laps around, or inside, my dwelling (currently Forest Outlook). Even better, if I'm staying near a climbing rope, such as at Draft Dodgers cabin, I'll go climb up & down it.
But if you've sprained your ankle...that can be a problem.

2 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

When I want to purposely exhaust myself I sprint laps around, or inside, my dwelling (currently Forest Outlook). Even better, if I'm staying near a climbing rope, such as at Draft Dodgers cabin, I'll go climb up & down it.
But if you've sprained your ankle...that can be a problem.

Hmm .. I've done that before a few times.  I wonder if that could have worked in this case.  The issue was that I really needed to sleep at least 6 hours to have a shot at survival the next day ... but I don't know if I could have run around for long enough to get my fatigue down.  Keep in mind I was at 6% already, so in 6 hours I was going to be dead from starvation.  Plus I had just drank all of that coffee, so even with running around my fatigue was going to go down rather slowly.  Would have been worth a shot if I had thought of it, but I have a feeling I was still screwed.

On 6/17/2017 at 11:29 AM, sarudak said:

I don't think the coffee is the problem here. It's the fact that you can't rest because you're 'not tired' even though you character is nearly dead that did it.

Coffee was the problem because it replenished my fatigue.  It was the coffee that made it so I wasn't tired enough to sleep.

On 6/18/2017 at 0:29 AM, sarudak said:

I don't think the coffee is the problem here. It's the fact that you can't rest because you're 'not tired' even though you character is nearly dead that did it.

1 hour ago, BIGwooly said:

Coffee was the problem because it replenished my fatigue.  It was the coffee that made it so I wasn't tired enough to sleep.

TBCH you can't sleep if you're over-caffeinated. You'll just lay there...unable to sleep.

You also recover health when resting instead of sleeping (provided all your other needs are satisfied), only at a much slower rate. So you could have drunk all the coffee and then rested. You would have regained a little health. However, coffee - which often is a lifesaver in other situations - can actually sometimes have this disadvantage which you discovered.

Archived