Save game when leaving shelter

Faucilian

This is something that would improve my everyday gaming. Since I tend to be cautious I almost always want to save my game before leaving my shelter due to the possibility of attacking wildlife or other afflictions. Due to that I always have to reenter my shelter so the game saves. It would be a huge improvement if I wouldnt have to invest the loading time to reenter and go back outside for the save game.

I know I can rest and then go out but most times I then have to eat/drink too so it doesnt make much sense.

Why? The point of the game not having a manual saving mechanism is because every mistake counts.

The saves are only there for you not to lose the whole progress in case the game crashes, you have to leave, or something like this. If you get attacked by wildlife you shouldn't quit the game or turn off your PC/Console (cheating in a way), but instead deal with it, so I don't see much the point of this.

A save on quit feature, though, would be nice, in case you have to stop playing for any reason and wanna continue later.

The game shows a save icon when its saving, so most players are going to figure out its saving when the enter a building or sleep, and will take advantage of this.  IF that means that players are re-entering buildings just to trigger a save (I know I do this sometimes) then it just makes more sense for a save on exit to exist as well.

16 hours ago, ArcherAC3 said:

Why? The point of the game not having a manual saving mechanism is because every mistake counts.

The saves are only there for you not to lose the whole progress in case the game crashes, you have to leave, or something like this. If you get attacked by wildlife you shouldn't quit the game or turn off your PC/Console (cheating in a way), but instead deal with it, so I don't see much the point of this.

A save on quit feature, though, would be nice, in case you have to stop playing for any reason and wanna continue later.

point is this: I wake up, so game is saved, but before i go out I have to do things like eating/drinking maybe some research. After I want to go out and explore a bit. So I want to save my progress. And your argument about if you are attacked by wildlife and quit is cheating is plainly funny. If you consider that cheating go ahead, I have a different approach to the game. It still is a game so I am happy there is the option to load if something happens that I dont want to happen. And your save on quit feature is just like a Save anywhere and anytime you want feature which you state yourself isnt the "point of the game".

16 hours ago, continuity said:

The game shows a save icon when its saving, so most players are going to figure out its saving when the enter a building or sleep, and will take advantage of this.  IF that means that players are re-entering buildings just to trigger a save (I know I do this sometimes) then it just makes more sense for a save on exit to exist as well.

Thanks for backing me up. That is exactly my point.

3 hours ago, Faucilian said:

point is this: I wake up, so game is saved, but before i go out I have to do things like eating/drinking maybe some research. After I want to go out and explore a bit. So I want to save my progress. And your argument about if you are attacked by wildlife and quit is cheating is plainly funny. If you consider that cheating go ahead, I have a different approach to the game. It still is a game so I am happy there is the option to load if something happens that I dont want to happen. And your save on quit feature is just like a Save anywhere and anytime you want feature which you state yourself isnt the "point of the game".

Actually, by Save on Exit, I meant a mechanism like in Fallout 4 Survival mode. You're only allowed to save when sleeping, but the game creates a temporary save when you quit. So when you load this save, it gets deleted, and in case you end up turning your console/pc off for whatever reason, you can load back at the last time you slept instead of the same place you quit last time.

On a second thought, the way it is right now feels alright to me. If people are just gonna turn everything off when things go bad so they can "load" their save as if nothing happened, they at least have to go doing everything again - probably one of the reasons the leaderboard was disabled?

Again, there is no "option to load if something happens". There is no official revert an action feature in the game, it is not meant to have, it's meant to be brutal and make you think before you do anything, trying not to make mistakes!

Archived