Alcohol

Faucilian

pretty much the title. anything like whiskey or vodka. could be used as antiseptic, accelerant and also be consumed with intoxication and maybe a warmth mechanic similar to coffee or energy stim (first boosts then drops rapidly).

Since this game is playing in the canadian lumber area I am quite surprised there isnt any alcohol to be found yet.

49 minutes ago, Faucilian said:

pretty much the title. anything like whiskey or vodka. could be used as antiseptic, accelerant and also be consumed with intoxication and maybe a warmth mechanic similar to coffee or energy stim (first boosts then drops rapidly).

Since this game is playing in the canadian lumber area I am quite surprised there isnt any alcohol to be found yet.

Reason why there isn't alcohol is because kids to adults play this game. 

Just because weed will be legal in Canada next year, doesn't mean that we should be showing these materials to younger individuals. Same in terms of alcohol 

This has already been discussed before. If it did give you a benefit, it would be imaginary,  because alcohol opens your veins, allowing heat to be let off more rapidly, so maybe it could work like a emergency stim, allowing a short "heat burst" but ending in hypothermia when it wears off, or at least leave you freezing.

15 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

Reason why there isn't alcohol is because kids to adults play this game. 

Exactly why it should be in there. A good attempt to why alcohol is dangerous to consume especially if you are in a survival situation.

Moreover your weed argument is funny - this game like a lot of other games glorifies violence. Still I dont see a lot of idiots walking around thinking violence is a good thing. I think most people still can draw a line between Game and reality.

28 minutes ago, Faucilian said:

Exactly why it should be in there. A good attempt to why alcohol is dangerous to consume especially if you are in a survival situation.

Moreover your weed argument is funny - this game like a lot of other games glorifies violence. Still I dont see a lot of idiots walking around thinking violence is a good thing. I think most people still can draw a line between Game and reality.

So by putting alcohol in the game we educate kids on its effects ? {um......}

This game glorifies hunting, not violence; even then I don't get what your correlation is with marijuana. Kids though up till the age of 8-10 years have a hard time distinguishing fact from fiction. Alcohol makes you dizzy? Wait till the kid wants to try some of that wild stuff....

I dont see the problem with alcohol...I think like the OP said, it could have many uses. And you can wait until you have a nice established cache to get wasted,..its not like you needlessly would have to drink it.

Anyone ever seen the movie (based on a true story) Alive? A South American rugby team's plane crashed in the Andes Mountains and they were stranded there for weeks. Drinking wine was the only thing that kept them alive for a while, until they eventually decided to eat the flesh of the others who had died. 

In other words, it CAN make a difference and help you survive in certain situations. How you choose to use it, of course, would be crucial. I think its weird people are saying "this isnt a violent game, its a hunting game"...yet you can snap rabbits necks. I happen to like that feature, but to say its not violent is naive. What about the first trailer for the story mode? It shows Will Mackenzie walking along some tracks and watching two men bludgeon another to death with a crowbar. If you think this game is directed towards kids, I think you are wrong. The "kids" that are playing this, wouldnt be able to play without mommy and daddy's credit card anyway...

As a self-proclaiming alcoholic I will officially state it:
We NEED alcohol in The Long Dark!

Why? Alcohol is high in calories, but at the cost of pretty drastically dehydrating you as well as adding substantial fatigue. It would make a great -- and realistic -- addition to the foodstuffs available.

In short, drink no more than one bottle a day, at the end of the day -- indoors, and make sure you have enough water to stay hydrated!

Remember to drink every day, but to drink every day responsibly :P

Alcohol in game makes a lot of sense to me. 

Effects: 

Drinking alcohol should give a temporary hunger/thirst/warmth bonus, and when the effects wear off, it should work similarly to the emergency stim and leave you worse off on all three stats than you were before drinking it, but the temp boost could get you through a rough patch. It should most directly damage your thirst stats after its effects wear off, to simulate the actual dehydrating effects of alcohol.

Drinking alcohol should also increase your chances of falling and getting a sprained wrist/ankle, proportionately, of course, to how much you consumed. If you're in a pinch and consume too much alcohol, you should be in serious danger of falling and being injured. But it could also be the positive difference between life and death in a hypothermia situation. Just enough to stave off hypothermia long enough to get a fire going or get indoors. 

Alcohol can also be used as an accelerant for fires and as an emergency antiseptic (perhaps requires using more per injury for the same positive effects as regular antiseptic). 

It should also be heavy like water, to discourage carting around 14 bottles of Canadian whiskey at once. 

It could even cause a small hit to your rest bonus, in that alcohol actually makes your sleep less productive for the body. 

It would be interesting, as some players would likely opt to use it ONLY as an accelerant or antiseptic, and others would find themselves in survival situations where alcohol was the only option to boost hunger/thirst/warmth above the red zone to stay alive long enough to make better choices, assuming they don't fall down a ravine in the meantime due to its "stumble +1" effects. ;)

And let's face it, after a long day of trapping rabbits or hunting wolves, finding your way to your home base, starting up a roaring fire and having a few swigs of whiskey sounds like a pretty stellar way to end another day in The Long Dark. ;)

7 hours ago, natgirl47 said:

Drinking alcohol should also increase your chances of falling and getting a sprained wrist/ankle, proportionately, of course, to how much you consumed. If you're in a pinch and consume too much alcohol, you should be in serious danger of falling and being injured. But it could also be the positive difference between life and death in a hypothermia situation. Just enough to stave off hypothermia long enough to get a fire going or get indoors. 

Nope. If were talking hard alcohol, then negative effects of it wont kick in until player gets into relatively warm area and warms up. But then it will hit all at once in a really short period of time. Im talking from personal experience.

20 hours ago, ElCapitan said:

So long as they add a refillable flask to the game, I dig it.

Hell yeah!

11 hours ago, Travell boots said:

I don´t know how it is in canada but in germany it doens´t matter anyone. Please don´t unterstand me. I´m also think that we should protect little kids but the best way to do is by control the age of person if kids want to buy alcohol in the supermarket and not that we forbid alcohol in "The Long Dark" because of the kids. When i was young my friends and me also play Counter Strike and Return to Castle Wolfenstein where we kill humans with a head shot. I don´t believe that the kids today are just play harmless games.

Absolute correct.

I think the arguments and ideas are great and so why not? I think we don´t talk about a storage of 200 bottles in a cellar. Just one bottle in two buildings of every map so it doens´t destroy the ballance of the game. But please please please no Molotovs. "The Long Dark" is not a war game.

I agree with you that having alcohol in the Long Dark makes sense, and also as you pointed out in this age of gore-filed, violent games, a character in a game drinking alcohol is a ridiculous thing to worry about.

And also thank you for stating "No Molotovs." That would be a stupid waste of resources in this game. But if the alcohol is simply whiskey or vodka (at 40%) then it's not even flammable anyway for any morons who'd want to try to set it on fire :D

12 hours ago, Travell boots said:

I think the arguments and ideas are great and so why not? I think we don´t talk about a storage of 200 bottles in a cellar. Just one bottle in two buildings of every map so it doens´t destroy the ballance of the game. But please please please no Molotovs. "The Long Dark" is not a war game.

Molotovs aren't just in war games....

If AI People are added, it might be useful. Why try to shoot at someone who's already shooting at you? Just lob a flaming bottle of alcohol and voila! fried human.

I know, I guess for me it would be more of a drama thing. The only thing I could compare it to would be the Up movie, when the one guy smashes his lantern on the other guy's house, starting it on fire. It would be less of a thing for killing animals with and more of a Story mode cutscene deal. After all, it's the cutscenes I mostly play games for.

On 6/21/2017 at 2:44 AM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

Molotovs aren't just in war games....

If AI People are added, it might be useful. Why try to shoot at someone who's already shooting at you? Just lob a flaming bottle of alcohol and voila! fried human.

Ok, lets play thru a possible scenario. You have a molotov and there is a guy out there who wouldnt mind to have  piece of you.

You take out a molotov and now you need a match to light it. So, there is one wasted match. Next you need to hold it with your rabbit mittens, with possibility of dropping it, getting stuck at something or, even better, lighting yourself on fire.

Now you need to throw it. That you can do either having mittens on, that could result in poor grip and molotov not flying far enough, if flying at all, as it may simply slip. Or you use bare hands that provide better grip, but because youre in extremely stressful situation and your hands are sweating, it freezes a bit, resulting in poor throw or you simply drop it under your feet.

Presuming you did manage to actually throw it, there is a snow everywhere... So bottle simply lands into that snow and nothing happens...best case scenario. Because NPC can pick it up and throw back at you. There is also no guarantee that it would break, even if it hits a tree.

Presuming that it did fly where you intended it to and it did break and doused your enemy in burning fuel, he is likely to have plenty of clothes on him, so he just drops on the grounds, eg snow, and puts fire out in matter of seconds. His clothing may be a bit charred, but thats about it. Because unless you have some serious shit, like napalm, conventional gasoline is fairly easy to put out in conditions presented in game.

Archived