A new medication - sleeping pills

Vinceofpyrenees

Over time, you can build up resistance to the drug, so you would have to take a stronger dosage every time. They could be very rare, and could have a low chance of letting you fade into the long dark with larger and larger doses. Also, maybe the pills don't solve cabin fever, but instead delay it, so that when you do run out of pills, you would still need to cure your cabin fever, and perhaps it would take longer to do so the longer you delay it. (ex. 3 days of pills= 3 days outside)

On 11/06/2017 at 0:21 AM, Mel Guille said:

An interesting idea. Would there be any potential downsides to taking a sleeping pill?

Addiction I think, or vomiting.

The addiction, after 2 or 3 nuights with these pills,  could make the character sometimes impossible sleeping (with a percent of chance)

28 minutes ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Addiction I think, or vomiting.

The addiction, after 2 or 3 nuights with these pills,  could make the character sometimes impossible sleeping (with a percent of chance)

or death, bad idea i say.

• 3 months later...

Nice idea! I think it should be handled like this: sleeping pills are super rare, like flare shells rare and they can be used to sleep inside while having cabin fever once per cabin fever currence. So it is kind of an emergency stim for sleeping inside. You use it once to sleep inside and then you need to cure the fever. Imagine haveing  forgeing run over days then contracting cabin fever with a blizzard outside. Like this you can counter act this bad luck instead of sleeping outside at "feels like zero kelvin"-degrees.

1 hour ago, StrayCat said:

Using it only for cabin fever would make it 100% useless on pilgrim (think about the contemplative or new players ;) ). It should have other useful effects (or not appear at all on pilgrim).

Well you could make it still work, so you could sleep for a chosen amount of time while already fully rested.

On 10.6.2017 at 10:41 AM, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Hi, it could give us a treatment against the actual cabin fever affliction ! I think the sleeping pills should not work every time, but give us a 80% chance to fall asleep. 

1462984640.jpg

One word. 

Awesome.

The downsides of using sleeping pills (more than one night/several nights) could be worse sleeping quality when not using them and sleeping problems.

so the sleeping problems

Worse sleeping quality: You will gain less condition per hour and you will get less fatigue recovered after sleep.

And sleeping problems: You will get into sleep later all from 30 min to maybe 2 hours depending on how many nights before you've used pills to sleep. (sleep delay is just an approximate for the example only)

So, sleep the cabin fever away? I don't really like that idea too much, but that is just me. I guess some people would find it useful.

However, these could be useful when you need to go to sleep but can't because your energy level is too high. (say, it is middle of blizzard and you have nothing to do but wait, or when your condition is still a bit low and you want to renew more of it). This could give you a one-time ability to go to sleep regardless of your energy level, and sleep for however long you want, but upon waking up, you would get a negative condition for three days, something like "disturbed rest" - which would make your sleep less effective - meaning you would have to sleep longer to renew your energy entirely, and the condition regeneration would be smaller. I suppose you could "cure" this condition by drinking the herbal tea. You would not get the bonus this way, but you would remove the negative one instead. 

On 6/11/2017 at 1:51 AM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

They could be very rare, and could have a low chance of letting you fade into the long dark with larger and larger doses.

Most definitely not. People could use it to commit suicide this way which is not a mechanic you want in a game. It would most likely spike up the age limit for the game. All addiction suggestions are equally bad for the same reason.

just do it like opposite of Stim injector. Knocks you out in 60 sec, sleep for 8~12hrs (random), regardless of fatigue level. With lingering negative effect like Mroz4k described. No repeat use until negative effect wears off. Stim is locked to once every 24hrs if I'm not mistaken.

Don't see why it'd help with cabin fever since that has nothing to do with rest, just amount of time spent inside, active or not. If anything forced sleep indoors would add to the cabin fever rather than mitigate it.

8 hours ago, KinoUnko said:

Don't see why it'd help with cabin fever since that has nothing to do with rest, just amount of time spent inside, active or not. If anything forced sleep indoors would add to the cabin fever rather than mitigate it.

In this case, it would help by allowing you to rest inside despite the cabin fever.  You'd still need to spend your required time outside to deal with it, but it would give you the option to delay that if there's a blizzard, your condition is dangerously low, etc.  But you're right, it wouldn't actually deal with the cabin fever itself.

Archived