Map is black

gonzoman

Hello everyone!!! : )

I was shocked with all the changes I was seeing with the new HUD but in the end I don't really dislike it. It's more realistic not to know exactly the percentage of hungry, tiredness, etc.

Anyway, the improve I was waiting for long time was the map, and exactly the same kind of map Hinterland has designed. A map that survivors could do it by their selves little by little. The thing is... I always have the map in black. The zone where the map should supposed to be is black. I can change the different parts of the map with the narrows at the top of screen but I can't see any map. Am I doing something wrong guys?

Very thank u in advance!

1 hour ago, Quarbani 79 said:

The map doesn't track your position though right?

Immediately after you draw a bit of the map with some charcoal, it will open the map centered on your current position.  After that, you have to figure out where you are by landmarks.

• Mel Guille changed the title to Map is black
On 6/10/2017 at 1:57 PM, Ruruwawa said:

Immediately after you draw a bit of the map with some charcoal, it will open the map centered on your current position.  After that, you have to figure out where you are by landmarks.

So it sort of is a GPS then... if you have spare charcoal.

• 1 month later...

Furthermore, do keep in mind that in order to draw on the map, you must be outside in the day time, and the weather must be fairly clear. I have had it work in snowing weather, but you will also pass a small amount of time as you sketch out the area. You will get a full 360 degree view though, and resource items will be marked on the map thankfully. best way to access charcoal for me was the radial menu, and after 35 days I had about 45 pieces in storage. if I am going out to explore and scavenge I tend to keep at least 2 or 3 pieces to mark spatially all the different landmarks in an area so that I can connect the dots as I move around. This worked best for me in Coastal Highway, where there were large bare spots (and sometimes large bears in spots), but I imagine in other areas this may not be as effective, such as mystery lake. 

Hi @danille, and welcome to the forums!

3 hours ago, danille said:

When you first open the map, (before you draw anything).....

Shouldn't you see only solid white?  The areas drawn would be black because of the charcoal??

Yes, quite a few of us feel the same way about it, and have said so to Hinterland.. I guess, in a week's time, at TLD's official release, we'll see what they thought of the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived