Are "bear crows" gone?

JAFO

Whilst I've only had a couple of encounters with bears since the patch release, I've yet to hear any agitated birdlife when the bear is nearby. Tested once with Voyageur, and once with Stalker, so far.

Please confirm/disprove this, with your own experiences..

10 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

Training wheels continue to be taken off.

Begging your pardon, but they weren't "training wheels"..

They were only introduced with Resolute, as a feature. And a realistic feature at that. Birds often become agitated when large predators are around. They've even been known to warn other wildlife when humans are around.

1 minute ago, JAFO said:

Begging your pardon, but they weren't "training wheels"..

They were only introduced with Resolute, as a feature. And a realistic feature at that. Birds often become agitated when large predators are around. They've even been known to warn other wildlife when humans are around.

Touchy!

Yikes.

I'm not saying I didn't like them or they didn't make sense...I am stating however that Hinterland obviously want us taking care of ourselves more and paying more careful attention to the environment around us.

Removal of the Bear Birds as a feature is simply one of many, many, many things that Hinterland have done to force us to be more fully attuned to our characters survival in this update.

They are calling on the players to put out more effort to survive...and I like that as it truly does take putting out effort to make it through a survival situation.

On 6/10/2017 at 0:15 AM, JAFO said:

I've yet to hear any agitated birdlife when the bear is nearby.

The sound is present just turned way down and closer proximity.  I almost became the bears plaything while in DP; the bear was on the other side of the snowbank i was trying to climb over.  I heard the birds crying and turned right around.  The day was calm so any wind and you probably might not hear it.

32 minutes ago, Farrgin Ice Hole said:

The sound is present just turned way down and closer proximity.

Ok.. good to know.. (well, kind of good, kind of bad)

33 minutes ago, Farrgin Ice Hole said:

The day was calm so any wind and you probably might not hear it.

Hmm.. probably why I didn't hear it. Now I'm scared.

Thick fog, climbing down TWM...I get to the lake....grrrr oh my wolf right next to me. Down he goes! Phew I think and I keep trudging literally a 4-5 foot visibility in this fog. I make out the massive log near the fishing hut and stumble towards it knowing it will lead to the hut and I can rest a minute there when.....guess who stands up next to me? A bear! Nearly peeded myself. I scrambled up the log took aim with my flare pistol and let the fireworks show begin! Too bad it was so foggy. Did not get to see the show running away.

Made it to the cabin but wow twice I was stunned by predators right next to me...not to self no beverages near computer as HL is trying to scare you into knocking them over.

I was climbing down a rope on TM and I turn around there's a bear right in front of me. I shot straight back up that rope in no time. So confirmed, the bear birds are no longer on your side. I suspect they want the bear to kill you so they can enjoy the scraps left behind.

So a question for @fallenfox and others.  When you were suprised by the bear what was your smell-o-meter at?   I've had a couple times where I heard the footfalls and snuffles of the bear before I heard crows, and both times I'd pulled it off it's normal pathing by carrying raw meat.

Archived