Water of waterfalls

Vinceofpyrenees

It is impossible to get water from the waterfalls, right ?

How is it possible, in a survival game, to don't be able to drink this natural water, especially in Interloper (at the start it is difficult to get water due to the lack of matches) ? 

Hinterland, you already created waterfalls, so let us use them to drink :P. Of course we should prefer boil it to eliminate th risk of poisoning. Of course that possibility would change the balancing of the game, but it's like that the reality ! We can't die from hydration with waterfalls. 

However, I suggest a risk while getting water at the waterfall : risk of sprain due to the enormous proximity with heavy quantity of water, etc..(like risks of a actually normal fall). 

This topic has come up before and there have been quite a few good discussion on how such a feature should be implemented, which I would personally be happy to have in the game.  Would make my interloper runs that slight-bit less ridged & routine, as I would not be forced to acquire a box of matches ASAP (though it still be one of my top priories :P). 

7 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Of course we should prefer boil it to eliminate the risk of poisoning.

Actually, according to my own wilderness survival training and experience, the rule of thumb is that running water is safer to drink from than still water.  So in this kind of instance, the water you collect from a waterfall will be much safer to drink than water from a lake.  Still, you should always purify any water you collect from a body of water with either chemicals, filters, and/or boiling; but in a desperate situation, drink from a brook & not a pond.

7 hours ago, exeexe said:

Clothes should get wet if you get too close to a water fall

Yes, standing next to a waterfall will surely get you wet.  In fact, holding your hand under the freezing cold water in the middle of winter should cause you to be afflicted with a significant risk of frostbite (perhaps +10% frostbite risk for every 1 liter of water collected).

1 hour ago, Muk_Pile said:

Actually, according to my own wilderness survival training and experience, the rule of thumb is that running water is safer to drink from than still water.  So in this kind of instance, the water you collect from a waterfall will be much safer to drink than water from a lake.  Still, you should always purify any water you collect from a body of water with either chemicals, filters, and/or boiling; but in a desperate situation, drink from a brook & not a pond.

I agree with you, I just talk about purification to find a gameplay that could balance this new amount of water. 

1 hour ago, Muk_Pile said:

Yes, standing next to a waterfall will surely get you wet.  In fact, holding your hand under the freezing cold water in the middle of winter should cause you to be afflicted with a significant risk of frostbite (perhaps +10% frostbite risk for every 1 liter of water collected).

It is a risk which fit well. I agree

And if you wear wool gloves ? Frosbite could happen on hands too ?

Collecting water from waterfalls would be even better way to get oneself killed than jumping off a cliff.

Aside of the fact that player will be covered in water dust that will seep in literally everywhere, even before he gets to waterfall itself. We have to deal with simple fact that since were not dealing with kitchen sink and controlled collection of water, player will be completely wet in minutes. Add on top of that extreme slipperiness, that comes from both ice and water dust covering everything combined with uneven terrain... good luck.

Unless player manages to grow 4m long arms, i wouldnt come anywhere near waterfall in those conditions.

1 hour ago, Dirmagnos said:

Unless player manages to grow 4m long arms, i wouldnt come anywhere near waterfall in those conditions.

I fully 100% agree... but it would still be nice to have the option. You also forgot to mention that the ice around waterfalls wouldn't be thick enough to stand on so you're likely going for a swim if you attempt it. 

I could see this working though in the more "touristy" parts of the map. There are often overlooks and boardwalks around and behind waterfalls in parks. The giant ones in the more isolated maps though... like you said, good luck! :P

7 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Aside of the fact that player will be covered in water dust that will seep in literally everywhere, even before he gets to waterfall itself.

Agreed.

p.s. - the term you're looking for is "water spray".

5 hours ago, cekivi said:

You also forgot to mention that the ice around waterfalls wouldn't be thick enough to stand on so you're likely going for a swim if you attempt it. 

That depends.. often there are rocks you can clamber over, avoiding the ice altogether.

(mind you, given the water spray in the general vicinity, those rocks should be slippery as hell!)

Archived