Wolf Weapons

cullam

I'm finding using the knife is a good way to die, the crowbar looses alot of condition, and the hammer works nice and quick but they come back nice and quick.  So I'm pretty much going with the hatchet if its in my inventory.

46 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

Not really I came out at well over half condition...and am back to full already the next day.

Well done.. wolves are rather nastier than they used to be. What difficulty level, out of curiosity?

14 hours ago, JAFO said:

Well done.. wolves are rather nastier than they used to be. What difficulty level, out of curiosity?

Yes yes wolves are and I'm happy for that.

I generally play on voyageur...and am on this LP.

I'm also seeing pack behavior...them attacking from unusual angles, them attacking with no sound or warning...and of course they're more violent and dangerous. I've had plenty of encounters when they've knocked me down 75 percent.

On 6/10/2017 at 6:38 PM, JAFO said:

Looking at the damage you took, I'm guessing "went very well" is a euphemism for "Yay! I didn't die".. ;):D

That's actually how it goes in the wilderness.  Expecting to come away from a wild animal attack unscathed is rather silly.

Keep in mind that this game involves everything trying to kill you. Between the weather, animals, and surroundings, every day you make it through is an achievement. Even in Pilgrim. I had a couple very close calls playing a Pilgrim gameplay because I made one bad choice.  And that one you don't have to worry about wolves or bears unless you corner or wound them.

I am working on Voyageur now, and got attacked by two separate wolves on the same day. I used the knife on both which seemed to work pretty well, and I came out thanks to two stims that got me back to shelter in the nick of time.  But there is a cost. I lost three pieces of clothing which makes me more vulnerable to the elements. I can't even stay outside in Mystery Lake for an hour before dealing with hypothermia.

So just because you survive an animal attack, it doesn't mean you are out of the woods(yes, I went there).  Because of those attacks, I may just still kick the bucket if I don't find more to wear, and I pretty much have wolves between me and other areas I have not been to yet.

Welcome to the Long Dark, a lovely place. Where everything is out to get you but you can never leave.

So I can't find a topic that stated this, but I read somewhere here in these forums that if you want to kill the wolf, use the knife; if you want them to run away from you then use the hatchet, can't remember anything about the rest of the weapons though. 

For my own experience,  I fought off two wolves so far since faithful cartographer released with minor lacerations and that's about it.  In both instances I was not really tired and was not over encumbered. I think that helps a lot. 

Just have to mash that mouse button as fast as you can!    When I do, I  pretend I am playing "Track & Field" :P

For the record the amount the bar fills is ridiculously random.

Every fight I am just clicking the mouse button like a madman.

Sometimes (but very rarely it fills up fast to the top).

Most of the time it fills up slowly to the middle when I finally stab resulting in a 50 percent loss on avg when I'm fighting and full health full stamina- which is most of the time.

The rest of the time it fails to fill at all and I drop 90 percent or more.

Archived