Faithful Cartographer HUD Feedback

Wasteland Watcher

7 hours ago, Nervous Pete said:

The only thing left that I still really don't like is the icon placement of alerts on the main HUD screen, I wish there was an option to only have the red thermometer, thirst, etc only show up when you hit the tab.

It kind of spoils my immersion having those red information icons floating about you see, and the way I see it is that you don't really need that information in your face constantly.

Just the audio and a brief alert flashing up would be enough to have you checking tab more often. The less on my screen the more I feel like I'm there, you see. I'd also like to have the scent and wind icons near the sprint icon

This is a very good assessment and sums up how I feel as well. The uncertainty that comes with the somewhat vague manner in which info is now presented to us makes it far more immersive.

Perhaps instead of having the red icons constantly onscreen they should only briefly appear when your condition decreases another percent as a reminder.

22 hours ago, Nervous Pete said:

I have however turned around completely on the new sprint icon, I now prefer it to the old bar!

Just curious. Why? Besides taking a lot of space it doesn't seem to fit the style of the remaining UI particularly well (isn't that the only thing that is a circle on the HUD?)

10 hours ago, LonelySurvivor said:

Just curious. Why? Besides taking a lot of space it doesn't seem to fit the style of the remaining UI particularly well (isn't that the only thing that is a circle on the HUD?)

To be honest I'm not sure why, it's just grown on me and seems less intrusive now. I like the way it sort of uncoils, and the way the red fills in the radial bar showing your bulky, waddling, clown-shoe inability to sprint effectively. Still feel the same way about the red condition icons though. 

I had a good session this evening. I'm still completely in love with this game.

I ll only list the "problems" for me, if i dont talk about something i find it s great XD

• the UI is white on white ... it s not really visible.
  • the radial menu has 2 big problems for me 

- 1  there s no menu craft ( for lines, torch, bandages etc.. ) we have to open our journal that s make no sense.

- 2  the food menu : ex i have 2kg a fresh dear cook i open the radial menu and i have only  3 pack ofdried meat,  2-3 can ( all the same), etc..but no fresh food.

it should propose 1 type of food and the fresh meat in priority AND we can bind/fuse the drink and food menu in one.

• the healing system changed too, now we have to check  our charater close the character page and open the radial menu or the bag to take medic.... why cannot take the medic directly on the character page ??
  • the mouvement of our hands when carrying stone, flare etc is ridiculous it remind me minecraft ^^ little frenzy twisty 
  • when harvesting animal or tree by default i always have the saw but i have a knife and an axe...even if i use knife just 5 mins before for the same thing, if i harvest a dear with a knife the next time i should have a knife by default.
  • the map : whevever you are the size of the map discover is the same, on coastal highway i walk to the tower it was a sunny day, irl i could draw 70% of the map( at least the coast, the 2 islands and all the fishing point ) ...IG i only draw a little circle around me. I though the point of view sould be more usefull to draw a map

sorry for my english i hope you ll understand :) 

Great job Hinterland I love your game !!!!

On 6/8/2017 at 10:36 PM, Wasteland Watcher said:

Edit (6/12): I had no idea what the "smell of blood" icon was for two IRL days -- it looks like a "warmth" icon. Perhaps making the character voice a remark on smell one time when the icon first appears could "explain it" in an immersive manner?

^^^^^
I had the same problem.  I like to learn things the hard way (it sticks with you better).  I didn't look anything up in the forums or online when I got the game.  I didn't look up any maps until after I already had several IRL days into the game.  But I had to look up the "scent" icon.

The only things I don't like are a few of the changes made to the sleeping mechanics.  I can no longer track my needs while I'm asleep (which makes sense).  I can no longer wake myself up while asleep (which doesn't make as much sense).  And I miss the estimated hours of day/night display (which is just me whining).

9 hours ago, Dahoset said:

there s no menu craft ( for lines, torch, bandages etc.. ) we have to open our journal that s make no sense.

During the testing phase for this latest release, Hinterland stated that having to use the journal for crafting was a temporary measure.. so hopefully we'll see this fixed for the 1.0 release in August.

Archived